Question: for diagnostics?

drb22

Sorry for this very basic question. I read that AIDA64 is highly recommended for diagnosing problems with hardware and computer systems, but I'm not sure of the best way to use it. If I am diagnosing a problem with a friend's computer, would you recommend my creating a USB flash drive with Windows PE on it, and booting to that USB drive, and running AIDA64 from the USB drive? Or would you go ahead and try to install AIDA64 onto the actual hard drive (which is very likely infected with viruses, etc.). I do realize that I will have to buy an Engineer's license to use the program on other computers. I hope this "General Discussion" forum is the correct place to post this question. I did read the FAQs. Thank you very much.

Both solutions could work. If you're afraid of virus infections, then you can do the following:

1) Download AIDA64 ZIP package, extract it to an empty folder, e.g. C:\AIDA64

2) Start AIDA64.EXE from the folder (e.g. C:\AIDA64\aida64.exe)

3) Enter your AIDA64 license key (if you already got one)

4) Alter any settings you wish (in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences)

5) When you're done, close AIDA64, and burn the folder (e.g. C:\AIDA64) to a CD or DVD disc.

That way you could have a "ready-to-run" AIDA64 copy with you that no viruses could infect.

---

3rd option is copying the prepared folder to a regular USB flash drive or external HDD, if you don't want to carry a CD/DVD disc with you, or if you want to save AIDA64 reports back to the drive.

If you have any further questions about AIDA64, don't hesitate to ask ;)

Regards,

Fiery