GTX680: Starting AIDA64 is causing a Red Screen of Death

Verdi

Hi to all,

this is my first post. I've purchased AIDA64 with 3 Years support. This program is fantastic and has been working perfectly.

But: My new EVGA GTX 680 is about a week old and since my video card change I'm getting strange tomato RSoD's. This happened about 6 times after I've launched AIDA64. Latest edition.

I've configure AIDA to start with "detecting sensors information" as I use it for monitoring.

Has the creator of AIDA or anyone else here a clue why this happens?

EVGA has the notion that this depends on autoruns while windows start. But I don't believe, as I disabled all autoruns.

Some users noticed the same RSos after starting gpu-z.

Here I made a thread about this issue and all my sys specs are there:

@EVGA Mods! Red Screen of Death. Caught in action. More tomato soup onscreen!

http://www.evga.com/...mpage=1#1528393

We haven't noticed any such issues on our own GTX680 card, although it's not made by EVGA, but is a Gigabyte GV-N680D5-2GD-B. We also haven't yet received any bug reports about GTX680 cards yet. I'm not sure whether this RSoD is related and limited to EVGA's own GTX680, or is it a ForceWare issue. We have been experiencing weird issues with ForceWare 296.xx drivers on some of our older GeForce test cards, so quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the RSoD would be a ForceWare bug. Especially since AIDA64 reads almost every bit of GPU details and GPU sensor information via ForceWare driver calls on GTX480 and later GeForce video adapters...

Please note that you can disable GPU sensor support in AIDA64 latest version (v2.30) in main menu / File / Preferences / Stability. That way you would of course lose GPU sensor readings, but maybe it would help to get rid of the weird RSoD issue, and you could still continue using the other sensor readings offered by AIDA64.

BTW, do you have the option nVIDIA GPU SMBus access through nVIDIA ForceWare enabled on the same Stability page in the Preferences?

Thanks,

Fiery

Thank You so much for Your rapid reply. I wished Nvidia were that fast...

And yes, the smbus access is enabled.

I thought about disabling the sensor detection myself as in my humble view this may be the villain. But I must confess that I like this feature very much and that is one reason for my purchase.

The bug is known in EVGA forum by now. But I seem to be the only one using AIDA64 at this time.

At least I found a workaround to stop the RSoD.

windows key and some arrow key and enter. Forgot the exact sequence. Maybe it's just a "change user"

Thanks as well,

Verdi

disable the smbus via nvidia i2c/driver setting and let aida64 access it via its own method.

see if the issue persists,

you actually get less data from the smbus access on certain cards (in the case of my 275 i lose fan rpm's and gpu VCC)

if you have Precision X running alongside AIDA64, its advised to close one or the other. If precision X is accessing voltage adjustment via a HWMon module, then there are known issues between HWMon access mutexs and the mutex aida64 uses. (i've seen black screens and the gpu fan stopping)

Squall, so that's why I was having problems with EVGA Precison X slowing down my GPU Fan speed from 65% to 40% when running DX11 Heaven Benchmark and the Windows Experience Index and at times 3D Mark 11. I would get this info in the Event Viewer: The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application. I seem to not be able to use the new Precison X, and back to the 2.0.3 version of it. I'm thinking it's because of the Voltage tuner in the program.

you actually get less data from the smbus access on certain cards (in the case of my 275 i lose fan rpm's and gpu VCC)

Please note that that only applies to pre-Fermi (pre-GTX480) cards. On Fermi and Kepler architecture cards (GeForce 400, 500, 600 Series) it is recommended to leave the nVIDIA GPU SMBus access through nVIDIA ForceWare option enabled, since it should guarantee that no collision occurs with other software reading GPU sensor information.

I'll enable this option then for my Sparkle GTX 580, thanks. Squall, that issue I had with Precison X is gone. I'm thinking it was the overclocking of my GPU too high that caused the fan percentage drop and software crashing, or it was WinSAT preventing WEI, DX11 Heaven, and 3DMark from finishing. I just got another: "The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application" in the Event Viewer, which is just Information, not an error, but AIDA 64 kept my fan speed at the usual 65% this time, so that's good and everything is okay now. Working on overclocking my GPU close to what it was during these issues, getting it stable. Thanks for the info guys!

@Admin

Meanwhile I can't even start AIDA64 without red-screening. I had to push the reset button. And this happened 3 times!

I mean, for example, GPU-Z 6.0 is causing no crash at all, though it's detecting the gpu sensors.

And there are no other programs running like Precision X.

Is the new version more reliable for GTX680?

Thank You for Your compassion. ;)

Now I've updated to the latest version and until now (30 minutes ago) no issue.

I would really like to use my AIDA64 all the time, like before.

Hopefully the update has fixed the bug. Will report later.

Now I can reproduce this bug persistently. After boot. Click AIDA64 - latest version. RSoD.

The new version didn't fix this bug.

As GPU-Z and CPUID Hardware monitor do not result in RSoD, I cannot imagine this bug has nothing to do with AIDA64 and is only a Nvidia restricted problem.

Yesterday the RSoD was accompanied by a total crash with a terrible buzzing sound which did not stop.

I had to push the reset button.

That's what I call customer service. I've done what You said. Installed, rebooted. Reenabled gpu sensor support. Started and closed AIDA64 for about a 20 times. No issues.

I'm now cautiously optimistic that this bug is fixed.

Now I really would like to know, what the reason was for the RSoD as this may help others with similar problems.

Thank You so much,

from a happy AIDA64 user

Verdi

Thank you for the feedback ;)

The RSoD occured when AIDA64 tried to read the video BIOS flash image. On pre-Kepler GeForce GPUs there was a GPU register that AIDA64 had to alter to read the image from the flash chip. On GeForce 600 Series (Kepler, GK1xx) that register doesn't exist anymore, but still, altering it sometimes triggered the driver to throw a RSoD. It didn't actually lock the machine or AIDA64, but it was annoying for sure :)

The RSoD doesn't occur in other software because most diagnostic software doesn't read video BIOS flash image from video adapters. And even in AIDA64 it was very rare to occur.

• 6 years later...