Are my temperatures normal or too high?

Bellzemos

Hi!

I bought my laptop a little less than 3 years ago, here are the specs:

CPU Type         : QuadCore Intel Core i7 740QM, 2533 MHz (19 x 133)
Motherboard Name : Sony VPCF13S0E
Video Adapter    : nVIDIA GeForce GT 425M (Sony) Video Adapter

I left it running idle in Windows 7 for a couple of minutes, here are the average temperatures (CPUs ranged from 41 to 50 in those few minutes):

Motherboard      : 40,6 °C
CPU              : 42,5 °C
CPU #1 / Core #1 : 43,0 °C
CPU #1 / Core #2 : 42,9 °C
CPU #1 / Core #3 : 43,0 °C
CPU #1 / Core #4 : 42,9 °C
GPU Diode        : 40,6 °C
HDD1             : 35,0 °C

So, are those temeratures normal or should I reapply the thermal paste on the CPU (never done that before)?

Thank you for your comments in advance! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the answer.

My desktop computer is quite loud in idle mode so I measured it's temperatures too. Is about 3 years old too, here are the specs:

CPU Type         : DualCore AMD Athlon 7750, 2700 MHz (13.5 x 200)
Motherboard Name : ASRock N68-S
Video Adapter    : nVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT (p729) Video Adapter

I left it running idle in Windows 7 x64 for a couple of minutes, here are the average temperatures (CPUs ranged from 44 to 54 in those few minutes):

Motherboard      : 39,2 °C
CPU              : 48,5 °C
CPU #1 / Core #1 : 34,1 °C
CPU #1 / Core #2 : 34,1 °C

MCP              : 60,3 °C (what is MCP by the way?)
GPU Diode        : 47,7 °C
HDD1             : 38,0 °C

So, are those temeratures normal or should I reapply the thermal paste on the CPU (never done that before)? Or is there another simpler solution to make it quieter/colder?

Again, thank you for your comments in advance! :)

• 7 months later...

Hi again!

My laptop maybe got a little more dusty + it's summer here - but I think that the main reason for higher temperatures might be that I disabled the CPU C3/C6 SUPPORT in BIOS in order to stop the fan whining - here are my current idle temps (are they too high?):

untitled.jpg

And here are my old idle temps (from the first post):

Hi!

I bought my laptop a little less than 3 years ago, here are the specs:

CPU Type         : QuadCore Intel Core i7 740QM, 2533 MHz (19 x 133)
Motherboard Name : Sony VPCF13S0E
Video Adapter    : nVIDIA GeForce GT 425M (Sony) Video Adapter

I left it running idle in Windows 7 for a couple of minutes, here are the average temperatures (CPUs ranged from 41 to 50 in those few minutes):

Motherboard      : 40,6 °C
CPU              : 42,5 °C
CPU #1 / Core #1 : 43,0 °C
CPU #1 / Core #2 : 42,9 °C
CPU #1 / Core #3 : 43,0 °C
CPU #1 / Core #4 : 42,9 °C
GPU Diode        : 40,6 °C
HDD1             : 35,0 °C

So, are those temeratures normal or should I reapply the thermal paste on the CPU (never done that before)?

Thank you for your comments in advance! :)

For a Core i7-740QM notebook those temperatures at idle are a bit high, but having C3/C6 disabled may cause such difference. For mobile computers it's mostly not the thermal paste that should be reapplied, but the exhaust ports of the notebooks chassis that should be cleaned. After 2 or 3 years of abuse, such exhaust ports could be filled with dust from the inside. And in many cases it's hard to decide from an outside visual inspection how much dust is collected on the inside of the exhaust port.

• 1 month later...

Hello again!

Yesterday I changed the thermal paste to cool down my friend's desktop PC and also cleaned all the dust from the computer.

Then I went and checked the idle temps but they seem kind of high to me (maybe a little lower than before I changed the paste).

lukaidle.jpg

I was thinking about overclocking the CPU a little to gain some performance but am not sure if I should do it with temps like that stock heatsink and fan), what do you think - are the temps normal?

Here are the desktop PC's specs:
CPU: DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ @ 2.40 GHz
MOBO: Asus M2N-E SLI
RAM: 3 GB DDR2-800
GPU: Geforce 9500 GT
HDD: Seagate ST3320620NS (320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

BIOS: Latest

So which AIDA64 test would be right to stress-test my CPU and see how it holds up with temps under heavy load? How do I do it?

Thank you!

You only have to have the FPU subtest enable for that. In case you've got a discrete video adapter (video card) in your system, then enable the GPU subtest as well. If you've got an integrated video adapter, then do not enable the GPU subtest.

On modern computers it's not at all dangerous. Modern CPUs and GPUs both feature thermal protection circuitry, so once they start to overheat, they either throttle themselves down or turn off.

We generally recommend running the AIDA64 Stability Test for at least a few hours.

You should watch the temperatures and the throttling graph (on Intel processors) as well.

AIDA64 Stability Test works on notebooks and servers as well.