fixed: Synaptics ClickPad hangs

steeviebops

I have a new Toshiba Satellite P50t-A and I've noticed that when I run AIDA64 on it, if I click the Motherboard or SPD tabs, the touchpad locks up completely. If I reboot, it comes back, but it is then detected in the Synaptics control panel as a PS/2 touchpad rather than an SMBus touchpad. When I power off completely and power back on, it then detects it as an SMBus touchpad again.

Not sure if it's related but I noticed that more often than not it doesn't detect the memory modules on the SPD page. It does sometimes, but generally not.

BIOS version is 1.40. Toshiba only list 1.30 on their website for this model so it seems I have a newer version.

Any idea why this could be happening?

Core i7 4700MQ, 12GB DDR3, NVIDIA GT740M, Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Synaptics SMBus touchpads seem to use the SMBus protocol of Intel chipsets in a way that it collides with 3rd party monitoring applications like AIDA64.  Synaptics promised to implement a workaround for that in their latest drivers.  We'll check the latest drivers, whether it is already implemented, and get back to you with guidelines on what to do to fix this up.  Please provide us a few days ;)

We've improved the SMBus communication module of AIDA64 in order to avoid collisions with Synaptics SMBus touchpads.  Please upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme available at:

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works.

• 4 weeks later...