Asus N56jr CPU throttling

caca_11

Hi, excuse me for my bad english, is no my native language.

I have an asus N56JR, it registered temperatures up to 92°C and a 19% of "CPU throttling" when i m running autodock vina or run the stability test (only FPU) for a couple of minutes. Even when i run the test or the program whit not AC, only battery, aida registered "CPU throttling" (4%).

The clocks processor is between 800 - 3400 Mh on the scale.

The rpms max of the fan is aprox. 3800.

The temperatures on idle are ok, between 40-55° C.

The laptop is new, only 1 week of use.

The room temperature is about 27°C.

I use a thermaltake massive 23 gt cooling pad.

This "cpu throttling" indicates there is something wrong with my laptop (hardware or software)? or no necessarily?

what could be causing this? and what recomendations give me?. I need this laptop for run programs of bioinformatic for a couple of hours but with this temps i'm no sure if i could.

Thanks

Intel Haswell processor based notebooks, ultrabooks and small form factor PCs tend to run at very high temperatures (over 90 Celsius) and throttle under heavy system load.  It's absolutely normal for such systems.  Of course in case the situation gets worse, or your computer turns off under heavy load, then you need to check the cooling of your notebook, e.g. if the exhaust ports are clogged up with dirt.  But I suppose your notebook is quite new, so it's not a problem there (yet).

Regards,
Fiery

Thanks for the answer.

I was confused because some reviews of the N56JR said that temperature on full load was 85°C with no throttling only turbo off and my N56JR register 92°C with throtling (i'm no sure what program was used in the review) and had read that some cases of cpu throttling and high temps were by hardware or software problems. My previous laptop was a HP G42, runs the same programs (autodock vina and aida64 FPU test) registered 80-85°C with no throttling.

I'm disappointed with the temperatures of this laptop on full load.

Turbo can make a big difference in operating temperatures.  As for G42 vs N56JR, unfortunately Haswell is this kind of a beast, and you cannot really do anything about its behavior and properties.  It can run at very low clocks consuming almost no power, so that's good for overall mobile application -- but under heavy load it unfortunately runs hot, that's the drawback.

i see... it's like a ferrari that could go to 300 Kmh but can only do it for a few seconds and then returns to the speed of a common car (with an slowdown automatic system)... only release the beast by seconds or the beast itself consumes you.

I test the program with turbo off (99% in energy management) and will look calculation times and temperatures.  Thanks again!.

• 8 months later...

hi, I was searching for the same topic when I find this forum and this topic by chance.

I have an Asus N56JR and I just bought it. Although it's been called a gaming laptop, I am worried about my laptop temperature when I'm gaming.
I get a maximum temp of 80 degrees in © and average of 60-70 degree.

Is this normall or my laptop is being overheated?

How much diffrence does it make if I use a coolpad?

many thanks

Notebooks, especially the ones using Intel Haswell-class processors, tend to operate at much higher temperatures than comparable desktop systems. Maximum temperature of 80 Celsius is actually not bad at all. Also, Haswell processor based processors can easily get to a point of overheating and throttling, it is considered normal operation for them.

I'm not sure about cooling pads, never used such a thing. I suggest you to try googling for:

notebook cooling pad review

Regards,

Fiery

• Like 1