SST, disc test

Soo, my computer has been dying randomly and it seemed to be fixed by just taking apart and putting it back together... But just to be sure I decided to run a stability test with aida64...

Tho, I didn't check the box for the disc test.. Hpw important is that one? Can I run it after the one I'm doing now (Everything else)?

Why I didnt check it was becuase back when my computer died it did so even standing still in bios, therefor I dont think it is because of drives or software... Should I run a test for that either way later when the current one has gone for it's 8 hours (2 hours and counting)?

The disk test uses separate processing threads, so you can use it along with the other subtests if you want. You can also issue that test after the other ones. Based on your description of the issue, I too don't think it's disk related. It sounds more like a PSU, motherboard or memory related problem.

Regards,

Fiery

The disk test uses separate processing threads, so you can use it along with the other subtests if you want. You can also issue that test after the other ones. Based on your description of the issue, I too don't think it's disk related. It sounds more like a PSU, motherboard or memory related problem.

Regards,

Fiery

Ye, thats what I was thinking, but so far it just seems to have been something not sitting quite right... 

And since I never got a BSOD or anything like that (it just died randomly as if the power went, could last all from 1 min to 6 hours) I didn't really think it was disc related.. But I'd rather be safe than sorry.. 

Is is okay to run the disc test while doing other stuff? like browsing and playing games?

It doesn't do any harm if you run the disk test while using your computer. The disk stress test simply performs file reading operations, so nothing low-level and nothing critical is being performed.

Good to know, well. Thanks a lot for answering!

EDIT; And one more thing, I saw a thread at TomsHardware that for thermal testing aida isn't really optimal compared to Prime95 and their thermal torture test becuase apparently aida doesnt put enough workload on it...

But then I see people saying that I shouldn't even run Prim95 if I got a haswell processor (which I think I have (Intel i5 4690k)) since it apparently overvoltage them...

Do you think it's stable if my computer can stand 8 hours in aida with everyting except the disk test? Or should I maybe leave it over the night and go for around 15 hours (when I wake up that would be around 15 hours)?

I think the confusion about thermal testing is that AIDA64 offers more flexibility for stress testing, and sometimes users cannot find the optimal combination. Usually the FPU subtest alone could put the most thermal stress on modern processors. And if you enable more subtests (like CPU, Cache, etc), the thermal stress will not be that great. So it's best if you decide what do you want to use the AIDA64 System Stability Test for:

1) You want to find potential computing errors or other stability issues. In which case you should have a combination of subtests enabled, e.g. you can enable them all.

2) You want to see how well your cooling solution works by putting the most thermal load on your system. In which case you should have only the FPU subtest enabled. Additionally, if you have a discrete video adapter (one or more video cards), you can enable the GPU test as well.

If your system can stand 8 hours with both test #1 and test #2, then I'd consider it quite stable :)

I think the confusion about thermal testing is that AIDA64 offers more flexibility for stress testing, and sometimes users cannot find the optimal combination. Usually the FPU subtest alone could put the most thermal stress on modern processors. And if you enable more subtests (like CPU, Cache, etc), the thermal stress will not be that great. So it's best if you decide what do you want to use the AIDA64 System Stability Test:

1) You want to find potential computing errors or other stability issues. In which case you should have a combination of subtests enabled, e.g. you can enable them all.

2) You want to see how well your cooling solution works by putting the most thermal load on your system. In which case you should have only the FPU subtest enabled. Additionally, if you have a discrete video adapter (one or more video cards), you can enable the GPU test as well.

If your system can stand 8 hours with both test #1 and test #2, then I'd consider it quite stable :)

Test 1 and test 2??

And a last question... which even to me sounds like a silly one, but since I'm not that good with computers, why not ask?

Soo... I'm not connected to the internet while  doing this, just to not slow down for anyone else (to many in the same house^^) Is it possible in any way that the onboard network card can cause shutdowns and that it's working fine now cause it isn't connected?

Test 1 and test 2??

I meant the 2 scenarios listed as "1)" and "2)" above.

Soo... I'm not connected to the internet while  doing this, just to not slow down for anyone else (to many in the same house^^) Is it possible in any way that the onboard network card can cause shutdowns and that it's working fine now cause it isn't connected?

It's unlikely, but it could happen. You can try downloading some big files while running the AIDA64 stress test, maybe it will cause an issue...

Okay, so instead of starting a new thread I though I can just ask here... Soo, I get small CPU Throttling spikes... They are like, max 7% it seems like and lasts for 1 second maybe, dont really know what it means, read that it was because it was overheating... Which it isn't since I'm not even running the test, the temps are around 30 - 35 at all cores

Also, I dont really get the CPU throttling graph(?), can someone explain it? Because when I'm testing it rises to 100% and stays there for the entirety of the test, when I googles the cpu throttling and looked at pictures it seemed like, if it did go bad the text would go red and the test will shut off autmatically. Mine never did that

CPU throttling is not a good thing, although on many Haswell-based systems it could be considered normal under heavy system load.

Please don't confuse the throttling graph and the CPU utilization graph. They're included in the same area. The yellow graph is for the CPU utilization measurement, and the other graph -- green or red, depending on the throttling activity -- is for throttling.