New PC builder and Overclocker

rebelic

I built my PC a couple days ago. I have:

i5 4690k (cm hyper 212 evo cooled)

GTX 970 (reference card)

8gb ram

I have been gaming on it pretty heavily since I've had it. I feel like I can get more out of the CPU because I did buy an

MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard and a 4690k.

So I overclocked it to about 4.4ghz with 1.2v

I've been running the stress test with aida64 trial and my temps are a bit confusing to me.

So Idle I have around High 30's to Low 40's (degrees Celsius)

But, with the stress test being running for about 17 minutes now i'm getting Mid to high 60's (66-69) It rarely hits 70

Oh and I don't think my fans are running too fast

So are these normal temps? How long should I keep this test going? And should I keep it overclocked? Thanks

Those temperatures are just fine for a properly built + overclocked system like yours. You should run the AIDA64 System Stability Test for at least an hour, but a few hours is even better. If you try to challenge the stability of your configuration, then have all subtests enabled. On the other hand, if you try to challenge the thermal solution (cooling setup) of your system, then only have the FPU and GPU tests enabled. Those will drive your CPU, motherboard and GPU to the highest temperatures in the same time, so you can see an absolutely worst case scenario about thermal stress that way.

And should I keep it overclocked?

If it's stable, then why not? :)