SensorPanel recognizes Chassis Fan 1 only after running ASRock eXtreme Tuner (ASRock X79 Extreme 6/GB)

ANewUser

Hello,

I have completed a new build on ASRock's X79 Extreme 6/GB LGA 2011 motherboard a few days back, and purchased and installed AIDA Extreme Edition. I have designed my Sensor Panel, and pretty much everything is working great except for one minor issue.

I have a PWM case fan that is plugged into the Chassis Fan Connector 1 (CHA_FAN1) which is a 4-pin connector for PWM fans. Every time I restart my computer, AIDA64 does not sense that I have a fan plugged in this connector. I can see the fan operating, but AIDA64 does not see it. However, as soon as I run ASRock eXtreme Tuner utility, bingo ... AIDA64 automagically starts seeing the fan, it shows up in the Sensor Panel, and all is well after that till of course I need to restart the computer.

While it is not that big a deal, actually a minor irritant only, however it would be great if somebody could figure out the reason and fix it (if possible).

Thank you in advance for your time as well as a great utility. I love the ability to design my own Sensor Panel, and have actually designed one to complement my program launcher dock .. the launcher dock sits at the bottom of the main display while the Sensor Panel adorns the bottom of the seconday display.

Rajiv

On several ASRock motherboards there are more fan headers on the motherboard, controller and monitored, than the available sensor chip cooling fan registers. On such motherboards ASRock solved the issue by connecting two fans to a single fan register, using a fan mux switch. That effectively means a 3rd party application can read only one of the fans that are muxed on the fan register. On your particular motherboard there are 7 fans connected to 5 fan registers, hence two fan pairs are muxed. One of them apparently is Chassis Fan 1 which is muxed with Chassis Fan 2. In order to use AIDA64 without starting ASRock Extreme Tuner you will have to connect all fans to a non-muxed fan connector, or use the other member of the muxed pairs. I guess by moving your fan from Chassis Fan 1 connector to Chassis Fan 2 would fix this up in your case.

BTW, the other muxed fan pair on your motherboard is CPU Fan 1 and CPU Fan 2, so you gotta be careful about using the fan there. The "safest" fan headers, the ones where you don't have to worry about muxing are Chassis Fan3, SB Fan1 and Power Fan.

I hope this helps you to use AIDA64 to its full capabilities without relying on other software ;)

Regards,

Fiery

The problem is if I move the fan to CHA_Fan2 I lose the ability for PWM control of the fan. Both CHA_FAN2 and CHA_Fan3 connectors run at prefixed speeds (level 1 thru 4) set either in BIOS or via the ASRock eXtreme Tuner utility. Looks like I will have to make a compromise either way :unsure:

However, thank you for your quick response Fiery. Much appreciated.

Irrespective of whichever choice I make, I like my Sensor Panel a lot. It's a great tool !!

Regards,

Rajiv