Cooling Fans (powersupply)

Fyew-jit-tiv

Hi tech support. Im'm having a problem with sensor value on the PSU fan rpm, it keeps returning to 0 from 700rmp every 3-4secs or so. Im using rivatuner with gpumonitor (gadget) with lastest BETA version of AIDA64. I did not have this problems with latest version of everest. PSU is Corsiar HX1000.

P.S Just tested it with Aida64 sidebar Gadget and getting the same problem

Please advise.

regards.

Fugitive.

Hmm! don't think you can monitor or control the HX1000 fan, I think what you are looking at is the Power Header on the motherboard.

David

Wrong.. I have always been able to monitor the PSU fan via everest. and the fact that underAida64 the rpm bounces from 718 to 0 supports that. Sorry fella but your wrong.!

Wrong.. I have always been able to monitor the PSU fan via everest. and the fact that underAida64 the rpm bounces from 718 to 0 supports that. Sorry fella but your wrong.!

Well actually I don't believe I am, the HX1000 has a fan controlled by a thermal resistor internal in the HX1000 case it has only a 2 wire connection and rotates in accordance to the PSU temp.

There is no external connection on the PSU to monitor the fan and it's rotation.

On modern motherboards there are a number of 'headers' to connect fans or other items requiring power and or monitoring, most of these are called case or chasis headers, however left over from the time PSUs' didn't have internal fans is the Power header but it is just like the others.

I don't know what your mobo is or what you might have connected to that header, but it isn't the PSU! and it isn't reporting the speed of the PSU header.

How do I know this! check my sig.

David

Well actually I don't believe I am, the HX1000 has a fan controlled by a thermal resistor internal in the HX1000 case it has only a 2 wire connection and rotates in accordance to the PSU temp.

There is no external connection on the PSU to monitor the fan and it's rotation.

On modern motherboards there are a number of 'headers' to connect fans or other items requiring power and or monitoring, most of these are called case or chasis headers, however left over from the time PSUs' didn't have internal fans is the Power header but it is just like the others.

I don't know what your mobo is or what you might have connected to that header, but it isn't the PSU! and it isn't reporting the speed of the PSU header.

How do I know this! check my sig.

David

Dude i don't know where your getting your info from but my Mobo bios specifically states MY POWER SUPPLY Unit's rpm, everest tells me my psu rpm, rivatuner tells me oh and corsair just confirmed this for me but your saying NO.....oh please.! with all due respects fella but this post wasn't meant for you.!

Regards

Dude i don't know where your getting your info from but my Mobo bios specifically states MY POWER SUPPLY Unit's rpm, everest tells me my psu rpm, rivatuner tells me oh and corsair just confirmed this for me but your saying NO.....oh please.! with all due respects fella but this post wasn't meant for you.!

Regards

Oh dear! go here http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=71761 only a few PSUs' such as Antec provide PSU fan monitoring FELLA! a forum is just that! email suport directly if you want your ignorance to be kept privaste

David

Take alook at AIDA64's Sensors.. so unless your saying i have connected my psu to a chassis header or something weird like that. please refrain yourself from commenting any further

Regards

P.S ignorance ='s fools that cannot admit when they are wrong.!

Look! AIDA64 reads the sensors on a mother board as provided by a chip the manufacture puts on the mobo.

The naming of a header as Power Supply is a left over from pervious convention and to be used by PSUs' that DO provide a seperate lead to monitor their fans, this header can be used for many other things, in my case I have a Corsair Memory cooler attached to it and I can monitor it's rpms', if you are right then when I viewed it I would be seeing at least 2 different readings, 1 x ram cooler & 1 x PSU fan.... I not seeing that neither is anybody else.

You cannot connect a PSU to any mobo header UNLESS the PSU manafacturer has provided a seperate cable for monitoring their fan and maybe adjusting it. The main cables coming from a HX1000 are the 2 power cables and a number of SATA/Molex attachments and slots to attach other cables such as PCIEx power connectors

There is NO fan monitoring connection.

Even the voltages and amps monitored by AIDA64 are NOT from the PSU but the variuos sensors on the mobo.

I don't have a clue what you have connected to your power header but it isn't the PSU, if you built the computer yourself you should know, if it's a store bought system then who knows!

Never assume you know more than the next person

David

Fugitive: please try to be a bit more polite with fellow forum users who try to help you by clarifying the situation with your hardware :) When a motherboard fan header says "PSU FAN", then in most cases AIDA64 will also call the fan RPM that fan header measures as "Power Supply" fan. But that doesn't mean it is the fan speed of the PSU, since you can connect e.g. the CPU fan onto the "PSU FAN" fan header, and your system will work just fine ;)

1) What motherboard do you have?

2) Do you experience the same issue in the BIOS Setup?

3) Do you experience the same issue with a manufacturer-supplied hardware monitoring software as well? E.g. if you have an Asus motherboard, then the manufacturer-supplied hardware monitoring software is called Asus PC Probe II. If you have a Gigabyte motherboard, then the manufacturer-supplied hardware monitoring software is called Gigabyte EasyTune6. etc.

Thanks,

Fiery

Fugitive: please try to be a bit more polite with fellow forum users who try to help you by clarifying the situation with your hardware :) When a motherboard fan header says "PSU FAN", then in most cases AIDA64 will also call the fan RPM that fan header measures as "Power Supply" fan. But that doesn't mean it is the fan speed of the PSU, since you can connect e.g. the CPU fan onto the "PSU FAN" fan header, and your system will work just fine ;)

1) What motherboard do you have?

2) Do you experience the same issue in the BIOS Setup?

3) Do you experience the same issue with a manufacturer-supplied hardware monitoring software as well? E.g. if you have an Asus motherboard, then the manufacturer-supplied hardware monitoring software is called Asus PC Probe II. If you have a Gigabyte motherboard, then the manufacturer-supplied hardware monitoring software is called Gigabyte EasyTune6. etc.

Thanks,

Fiery

Hi Fiery,

Right... I didnt not have this problem with EVEREST. I dont have this problem with PROBEII, I dont have this problem with the Bios reading (Asus p6td-deluxe). This glitch has only come about with Aida64. My Bios tell me that the Sensor is the POWER SUPPLY FAN.. with all due respects what else am i ment to be thinking here if every peice of monitoring softwares point to this being THE PSU FAN SENSOR.!

Regards.

P.S and fiery i wasnt being rude to this guy from the start. i just asked him not to get involved.

P.P.S... Fiery i dont get what your saying here.. Chassis 1 is my gpu's pump running @ 4440rpm, Chassis 2 is rear fan running @1214rpm, chassis 3 is fan sitting over my vrm's running @2909rpm, and my CPu header runs the CPU pump @ 4440rpm. So where is the PSU reading coming from? with no other fans connected (but the fan in the PSU) where would this reading be coming from.? I have accounted for all devices in my system so it MUST be the PSU fan.

Regards

P.P.S i have just disconnected all devices (fans and pump) CPU & Chassis 1to3 with NO other fans running (but PSU) but i still get a reading from this so called PSU sensor.

Here is a screen shot of my bios accounting for all fan&pump devices within my system also clearly THERE IS NOT An EXTRA HEADER ON MOBO THAT SUGGESTS ITS THE PSU.!

IMG_0111.jpg

The following artical taken from my Manual P6tD-deluxe page 3.32

Power Fan Speed

The onboard hardware monitor automatically detects and displays the PSU fan speed in rotations per minute (RPM). If the fan is not connected to the motherboard the field show N/A.

Does this not suggest that the motherboard is dectecting rotation of the PSU fan???? I use to have an enermax psu connnected,and this setting would show up as [N/A]

Firstly it's called PWR_Fan not PSU!

Your mother board, with headers shown. Total 5 headers, you either have something connected to the PWR_FAN (Not PSU Fan) or your mobo is faulty.

OK.. i hear what your saying... But ever since i upgraded to Adia64 this glitch has happened... I have been running this system for over a year now with no glitches.. CPU is overclock 60% system runs flawless and to date i havnt seen a bsod or even a crash or lockup... so i really dont think its the mobo being faulty.. And i dont have anything connected to the pwr_fan.

OK.. i hear what your saying... But ever since i upgraded to Adia64 this glitch has happened... I have been running this system for over a year now with no glitches.. CPU is overclock 60% system runs flawless and to date i havnt seen a bsod or even a crash or lockup... so i really dont think its the mobo being faulty.. And i dont have anything connected to the pwr_fan.

Now we are getting somewhere! a note of 'maybe I'm wrong' in your tone :)

Run ASUS Probe II, or AI Suite, they both don't use any 3rd party application and access the mobo sensor directly, if you still see a reading, and I guarantee you will because it's shown in the bios, then begin to accept the fact that the PWR_FAN header may be damaged, maybe you spilt some water on it or it gave up after living with all that screaming noise those fans must make.... just kidding ;)

David

Now we are getting somewhere! a note of 'maybe I'm wrong' in your tone :)

Run ASUS Probe II, or AI Suite, they both don't use any 3rd party application and access the mobo sensor directly, if you still see a reading then begin to accept the fact that the PWR_FAN header may be damaged, maybe you spilt some water on it or it gave up after living with all that screaming noise those fans must make.... just kidding ;)

David

I have connected a fan to that header and nothing seem to change within setting but the fan runs correctly.! you need to read my post clearly... I have run probe everest riva and the bios all say the same thing... Adia64 seem to run the rpm from 0 - 718 back and forth.. So lets for get for a second what that reading is from..... why is Adia64 jumping from 0-718 and back when everst never did.. the bios dont, and probeII dont..!

P.S dont run ai suit as its a peice of junk.!

I also think i'ts strange that Everest gave me one set of values and now Adia64 is giving me another.. EXample.. My cpu is now telling me on idle temps @ 25c this is at 60%oc. eversest, probe, riva, has never given me this low temps... im gonna go back to everest as i dont really trust this new ADIA64.!

I also think i'ts strange that Everest gave me one set of values and now Adia64 is giving me another.. EXample.. My cpu is now telling me on idle temps @ 25c this is at 60%oc. eversest, probe, riva, has never given me this low temps... im gonna go back to everest as i dont really trust this new ADIA64.!

It's AIDA64

Hmm! I'm sure we'll all miss you.

Don't forget to tell them on Guru of 3D how you proved me wrong. :)

David

In case the BIOS Setup provides the same value for Power Fan Speed, then I suppose the reading is fine in AIDA64. The reason why the reading may be unstable is either the fault of the motherboard's fan speed measurement logic, or the fault of the cooling fan. Certain low-speed cooling fans tend to have a problem reporting their actual RPM speed in a stable and reliable way. You don't have to worry about that, especially when your computer has 4 other cooling fans spinning nicely :)

In case the BIOS Setup provides the same value for Power Fan Speed, then I suppose the reading is fine in AIDA64. The reason why the reading may be unstable is either the fault of the motherboard's fan speed measurement logic, or the fault of the cooling fan. Certain low-speed cooling fans tend to have a problem reporting their actual RPM speed in a stable and reliable way. You don't have to worry about that, especially when your computer has 4 other cooling fans spinning nicely :)

Fiery... I dont have 4 fans connected to my mobo i only have 2. The other 2 are taken up by pumps witch are only used to monitor the rpm's. Are you reading my post clearly?

Okay, then it's only 2 fans, and the other 2 are for the pumps. But it doesn't change the fact that your motherboard can monitor Power Supply Fan, using a dedicated fan header on your motherboard. In case your BIOS Setup measures the same value as AIDA64 does, then either you have a fan connected to that fan header, or your motherboard measures a phantom fan speed there. In which case (if it's a phantom fan speed) you can simply ignore that fan reading.

You can blame AIDA64 for measuring a phantom fan speed, but when your motherboard in the BIOS Setup measures the same fan speed, then it's definitely not the fault of AIDA64. AIDA64 simply shows the same readings as your motherboard's BIOS Setup does, so I don't see a problem with AIDA64 there.

I have no idea what the game the OP is playing but a photo of his case posted elsewhere clearly shows he has a connection to the PWR_FAN header. despite his claims to the contrary. And it seems to be a splitter of some sort!

David

OP said in one post that there were 2 fans plugged in and 2 pumps. The MB header must be picking up a sporadic reading from a pump. I had a chassis fan in my P6T V2 attached to this header and it showed up as PSU in Everest and Aida that is from the MB reporting not Aida. One solution is in the OSD panel entries you can just click and type in a change to the label description.

What OP really probably needs is a separate power source for his pumps or fans rather than through the MB. I changed mine to a separate controlled power source just to save wear and tear on the MB. If you still want to see the RPM in Aida you can get external power controls that use a jumper to the MB header that just sends the RPM's to the MB but draws no power.