Video Card fan speed

Sora

Hi Fiery, I'm having an issue when I played Aion tonight. I updated to AIDA beta build 1.20.1176, then opened up Aion, and 2 hours later noticed that my fan speed dropped from 65% to 40% fan speed which is Auto fan speed. I'm measuring my temps and speeds using EVGA Precision utility, and using a GTX 480 single card. I started paying attention to EVGA Precision temps when I heard my gtx 480 throttleing at 104C temp. I checked EVGA Precision and the fan speed showed it was at 65% which was correct, but in Aion, the fan speed dropped and showed 40%. I had an idea it was a bug in AIDA64, because when I closed AIDAa64, and still played my Aion game, the problem mentioned wasn't happening. Let me know what you can do, thanks. ;)

if you have disabled access via driver in the stability settings, it will definitely happen again if you have precision or any other nvapi tool open.

i don't know if it stutters for me with access via driver since it kills the fan % value on my card when accessing it via that way which i bugged earlier (other nvapi tools are fine).

Incorrect Squall Leonhart, I'm at the same place in game as I was last night with Evga Precision open now and running smoothly. Having AIDA64 build 1176 last night with Aion open was making EVGA precision go crazy lol. There definitly is a problem with the 1176 AIDA beta build for me. I'm currently using the 1170 beta build. Any other ideas Fiery and guys?

We changed the mutex handling in Build 1176. We moved the mutexes to Global namespace to follow the trends of other software:

http://www.techpowerup.com/wiki/doku.php/systool/mutexes_to_avoid_collisions

(this page hasn't been updated yet to reflect AIDA64 moving to Global namespace)

It may affect other software that uses the old synchronization mutexes. Those mutexes are there to assure no conflicts can occur between various applications, when e.g. you're running AIDA64 and EVGA Precision, or AIDA64 and HWMonitor side-by-side.

Please clarify whether you are running any other hardware monitoring, overclocking, tweaking or diagnostics software simultaneously with AIDA64.

I'm only using EVGA Precision Utility to monitor my video card, the GTX 480, temps, etc. while AIDA64 is running. So you are saying that EVGA Precision Utility is using old synchronization mutexes? I hope they will update their software to the new mutexes. Thanks Fiery. ;)

precision uses nvapi. it accesses the interface via the driver.

there has been problems mixing nvapi and non nvapi apps accessing the gpu fan for some time now so if you prefer to use precision, you should disable fan detection in aida64 stability

it won't instantly happen, but it will happen at some point.

Eleet and hardware monitor also use global mutex's and also nearly instantly kill the fan management.

Ok I tried it with disabling the gpu fan speed measurement in the Stability settings with beta build 1176 and the collision occurred again, having EVGA Precision open as well. Fiery I saw your answer to the other guy and me here:

Are you running any other hardware monitoring, overclocking or tweaking software in the background? E.g. Asus PC Probe, Asus TurboV, ASRock OC Tuner, EVGA Precision, AMD OverDrive, Rivatuner, GPU-Z, HWMonitor, etc? Make sure to close all of them, because they may collide with the low-level hardware monitoring module of AIDA64.

So I'll keep AIDA64 build 1176 and have to close EVGA Precision with Rivatuner included, until they update their mutexes globally too.

We've contaced the authors of EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner software, and we've been promised they update their software to use Global namespace for synchronization mutexes. I'm not sure when the updated versions of those software would be rolled out though, since we're very close to xmas.

We've contaced the authors of EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner software, and we've been promised they update their software to use Global namespace for synchronization mutexes. I'm not sure when the updated versions of those software would be rolled out though, since we're very close to xmas.

Yay thanks Fiery and Squall Leonhart! I'm willing to wait, at least knowing it will happen soon ;) I learned something new too, this global namespace for synchronization mutexes lol. This will help the others on the forum having these collisions too.

I too have the same problem and use EVGA Precision, while playing at times the fan jumps to 100% usage and then subside after a while, now I was using the BETA for fear of AIDA64 then I uninstalled it from the system. Is there a solution to the problem or do I wait for a new release of AIDA? Thank you all :-)

Another defect is that it does not fit well the clock speed of the ram, my VGA is a GTX480, the core and shader are the right size, the ram does not.

GDDR5 operates with two different clock types. A differential command clock (CK) to where address and command inputs are referenced, and a forwarded differential write clock (WCK) where read and write data are referenced to. Being more precise, the GDDR5 SGRAM uses two write clocks, each of them assigned to two bytes. The WCK runs at twice the CK frequency. Taking a GDDR5 with 5 Gbps data rate per pin as an example, the CK clock runs with 1.25 GHz and WCK with 2.5 GHz. The CK and WCK clocks will be aligned during the initialization and training sequence. This alignment allows read and write access with minimum latency.

there are 3 ways of displaying GDDR5 clock rates.

Base Clock (Quarter of the GDDR5 clock, but half the GDDR clock)

Effective GDDR Clock (Half the GDDR5 Clock)

Effective GDDR5 Clock (Effective GDDR5 Clock, this takes into account the WCK write clock)

there are 3 ways of displaying GDDR5 clock rates.

Base Clock (Quarter of the GDDR5 clock, but half the GDDR clock)

Effective GDDR Clock (Half the GDDR5 Clock)

Effective GDDR5 Clock (Effective GDDR5 Clock, this takes into account the WCK write clock)

So how often would I actually read that twice? In full marks about 900 MHz more or less, against the original 1848 MHz.

I was able to get AIDA64 (most recent version) to show GPU fan speed properly (while running MSI Afterburner), just by unchecking "nVidia GPU SMBus access through nVidia Forceware" in AIDA64. That probably won't work for all GPUs and driver versions, but it worked for me.

Maybe the mixup about the clocks comes from the fact that AIDA64 shows both real and effective clocks, while EVGA Precision only shows the effective clock? Slight difference between the configured clock and the actual clock may come from PLL inaccuracy. In other words, it's not always possible to configure the clock PLL to produce the requested clock, so 10-20 MHz difference is considered normal.

As for the fan issue, you need to wait for EVGA to roll out a new Precision release that is properly synchronized with hardware monitoring software (e.g. AIDA64, HWiNFO32, SpeedFan, HWMonitor, etc).