ASUS Maximus V Extreme + AIDA64 - unexpected restarts/shutdowns at idle with AIDA64 in background

feniks

yeah, it's confirmed this time, after Ai Suite uninstallation the 3 ASUS services (left over after complete uninstallation) need to be removed manually, then it's all good. The offending module of Ai Suite is the Fan Xpert and even when uninstalled it leaves those ASUS services somehow affected (AIDA keeps crashing the board on electrical level when they run). no such problem after full removal with all 3 services, this way even Ai Suite can be re-installed (wihtout Fan Xpert) and all works normally like it should be.

NET STOP ASHMCOMSVC

SC DELETE ASHMCOMSVC

NET STOP ASCOMSVC

SC DELETE ASCOMSVC

NET STOP ASSYSCTRLSERVICE

SC DELETE ASSYSCTRLSERVICE

so ... Fiery would you be able to implement a fix in AIDA code to somehow make it work without crashing the board under scanarios we described (aka with Ai Fan Xpert installed in present or past)?

We'll try to, although it looks like a serious AI Suite malfunction (bug) rather than an AIDA64 issue. When you uninstall a particular software suite like AI Suite, that has a lot of components and services, it is quite basic expectation to have them remove every components and services when you uninstall it. If it leaves some background service running on the system, that may raise a lot of issues with 3rd party software that may rely on those broken services :( So if possible, please try to convince Asus to fix AI Suite, while we're trying to implement a workaround on our side (AIDA64).

Update: I too installed win 8 in UEFI, however I installed full suite including fan xpert & configured it. It been up & running now for 7 hrs without incident. By now it would normally have crashed. Also All of my fans are coorrectly showing. In summary it seems if you install in UEFI mode all seems to work. I too got bios resets, but after changing in bios 2nd time seems to have stuck. All is working again . Hoorah!!! Doesn't fix the appalling uninstall routine but I can live that now.

So looks like aida64 is fine for UEFI installs but not legacy. This does seem to indicate something about the bios & not just ai suite.

I would go so far as to suggest that since all of the bios updates have been geared towards windows 8 compatibilty & stabilty that this is the root cause. Since the issues occurred after 0704, so 1509 was released on 15/10/2012 & ai suite final was 16/11/2012.

Since those dates there has been numerous bios updates focusing on Win 8 one must presume UEFI mode, but no updates for ai suite.

That by improving comatibilty for win 8 (UEFI) they have lost compatibilty for non-UEFI. The argument being you can't have both. (not that I agree with that) It may well be a question of trade-off.

thanks for an update guys.

And so there is more in that, since the same Ai suite works perfectly fine in UEFI mode ... so why does one component out of it causes a sudden crash of AIDA in non-UEFI mode? I was thinking perhaps ASUS BIOS has been bugged since a while and works well in UEFI-boot nowadays, while not so good in non-UEFI mode (since this was not the focus of latest improvements?) ... just a thought. agreeing with Stackoverflow13.

I am also running win 8 pro UEFI now, later on will try replicating Stackoverflow's example.

Fiery, did you go through all the sensor dumps we posted? Do they all look same good?

Thanks!

We'll try to, although it looks like a serious AI Suite malfunction (bug) rather than an AIDA64 issue. When you uninstall a particular software suite like AI Suite, that has a lot of components and services, it is quite basic expectation to have them remove every components and services when you uninstall it. If it leaves some background service running on the system, that may raise a lot of issues with 3rd party software that may rely on those broken services :( So if possible, please try to convince Asus to fix AI Suite, while we're trying to implement a workaround on our side (AIDA64).

bummer. cannot replicate the 1604 UEFI boot configuration as problem free on my end.

while running Ai Suite with Fan Xtreme and AIDA64 sensor monitoring in background, my comp shutdown on its own unexpectedly (no BSOD) when I was typing a post on forums, however the difference was that it started (again on its own) shortly after, so there was no need to cycle the PSU.

going to apply the fix, never liked Fan Xtreme regardless LOL.

attached ISA Sensor debug (both Ai Suite & AIDA64 were running), win8 x64 UEFI boot.

win8x64_UEFI_isasensordump.txt

Ok Update. It's been stable. However if you open the main aida programe & leave it on screen It will crash, however without psu lockout, just a restart. same as Feniks

Also GPU VRM Temp, & GPU Memory temp are no longer available. But gpu Ambient has become available???? (wasn't before, was in fact subject of another thread).

Still not sure exactly how stable it is with just sensor panel running will advise late tonight.

Please find attached latest sensor dumps.

isasensordump.txt

smbusdump_full.txt

Well I withdraw all of my previous statements about stabilty & fans being shown. Not true. It's completly random. It will crash eventually no matter what. Fans appearing or not is hit & miss. So back to square one & both Feniks & my original findings. Doesn';t work & is unstable when used with ai suite. So just waiting for a new beta. For your info Admin/Fiery a number of people have had this issue over at the ROG forum, I created a lot of interest & a lot of posts (120). It goes well beyond that which is shown here.

• 2 weeks later...

will test today & let you know. However there is no mention of this issue in the change log. Further more. The issue became evident again in last beta. This is even without fan xpert installed. It seems to happen when playing certain games. Exactly the same synptoms. Can be repeated. Doesn't happen when aida is not running.

• 2 months later...

I’ve just built a new system with an Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe M/B and have experienced 3 power-offs in a week. Luckily I came across this thread otherwise I would be pulling my system apart right now.

I have the full AI Suite II (latest version) installed and always have AIDA64 running. I’m using Fan Xpert 2 to control my case fans since there is no option in the BIOS configuration to completely shutoff these fans below a certain temperature (min speed is 60%).

I was running the stable 2.85 release of AIDA64 although last night installed the latest beta (build 2412). No power-offs since the beta install but then it’s not been running for long. Both Asus options in Aida’s stability menu are checked.

Is there anything more that can be done with AIDA64 to overcome this problem, or is my only option to uninstall the AI Suite and find another fan control program?

no there is nothing else you can do apart from log issue with asus vip forum (link given earlier by Feniks) I aslo urge you to check out the ROG site for the proper way to remove ai suite (you can't just uninstall, wont work) Both myself & Feniks posted heavily about this issue. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27556-Maximus-V-Extreme-Possible-1501-BIOS-conflict-with-AIDA64-EE-monitoring-in-background/

Thanks for the quick reply. I did read about the somewhat involved uninstall process, this will also be helpful so thanks for this too.

Shame, really, I quite like Fan Xpert 2 - very configurable, although the AI Suite as a whole is a bit bloaty. I guess I'll have to find something else to control my fans.

Yeah, I'm hoping to see an improvement in performance once AI suite is gone.

Personally I prefer dynamic control of the fans, ideally in the BIOS but failing that with software, something I can configure once and then largely forget about. I'll give speedfan a try tonight. 

• 2 weeks later...