Temp of RAID disks Disappear Periodically

pbcopter

Hello,

I am using AIDA64 Extreme Edition Version 1.50.1224 beta and have two RAID mirrors set up.

One with a Jmicron controller and the other with an Intel ICH10R controller (Gigabyte GA EP45 UD3P motherboard)

One array is a set of WD 640 AAKS drives and the other is a set of WD 750 AALS drives.

Since the first 1.50 beta, I have had the ability to read the temperatures of the hard drives in the arrays.

The problem is that randomly the temperatures of these drives will disappear and just the drive icon remains in the sensor list.

When I restart AIDA64, the temperatures will reappear.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Paul

1) Do all HDD temperatures disappear, or only the ones connected to the JMicron controller, or only the ones connected to the ICH10R controller?

2) Do the temperatures disappear while the computer is up'n'running, or they disappear only after a sleep/standby/hibernation occurs?

3) Are you running Windows 7 64-bit?

Thanks,

Fiery

1) Do all HDD temperatures disappear, or only the ones connected to the JMicron controller, or only the ones connected to the ICH10R controller?

2) Do the temperatures disappear while the computer is up'n'running, or they disappear only after a sleep/standby/hibernation occurs?

3) Are you running Windows 7 64-bit?

Thanks,

Fiery

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

1) Only the hard drives in RAID connected to BOTH the JMicron and Intel ICH10R controllers (2 RAID 1's)

2) Yes, while up and running.

3) Yes I am running Windows 7 x64.

I should mention that I have the sidebar up and it is there that I detect the temperatures (along with the drive entries) disappearing first.

It can take many hours or sometimes days. It is not very predictable.

Paul

Next time the temperatures disappear, please do the following:

1) Copy-paste the full content of the Computer / Sensor page of AIDA64 into this topic.

2) Right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Disk Debug --> ATA Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

3) Right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Disk Debug --> SMART Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

4) Right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Disk Debug --> RAID Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

I hope using that data we'll be able to investigate the issue.

Thanks,

Fiery

I have discovered that if I connect an external USB drive to my system, the RAID drives will disappear immediately from AIDA64.

You are not the only one with this happening. Mine does the same thing. In my case there was an initial answer that it was a problem with the intel raid driver, but saying that just means that AIDA cannot totally perfect the process for reading the temps and SMART info through the intel driver that we have to use. My temps go away when I connect an external drive also but so far AIDA is the only tool I know of for measuring temps and smart through a raid array. So if I have to restart it every once in a while, it is worth it. My original thread on this is

We've improved the external disk drive handling in AIDA64. Hopefully it will eliminate the RAID disks disappearing issues.

Make sure to upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild1241ow5ief2yskzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works.

Thanks,

Fiery

• 2 weeks later...

Fiery,

Thank you for the response. I am sorry I have been unable to answer sooner.

It appears that update 1241 and beyond has fixed the HD temps disappearing from the sensor menu.

It is much more stable now.

However, the Vista sidebar still acts unpredicatably.

If I list all the drives in the side bar with the default labels and I add a drive, USB, etc. the drives associated with the labels will change, that

is, they are the wrong drive with each label.

When I remove the drive, they remain with the wrong drive/associated label.

I must restart AIDA64 to get the correct label/drive association back.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Paul

We've once again improved the hot-plug disk support in AIDA64. Please upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild1255xv4smgwy5bzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works. Please note that you may need to reconfigure the HDD labels for the OSD, Sidebar, LCD features once. But after that initial reconfiguration is done, the labelling and ordering should be kept consistent from now on.

Thanks,

Fiery

Hi Fiery,

I installed build 1255 and it works much better.

I reconfigured all my hard drive labels.

When I install a USB flash drive (no temp sensor), some of the labels disappear for a short time and then return to normal (all associations correct)

When I install an eSATA drive or USB hard drive that have temperature sensors, some of the labels disappear for the same short time and return with the label associations incorrect.

However, when I remove the eSATA drive or USB hard drive, all the label asociations return to normal.

I am nolonger required to restart AIDA64 to restore the associations as before.

It seems that when a new drive, with a temp sensor, is installed it is numbered during detection and that alters the numbers of the other drives.

Thank you,

Paul

Thank you for the feedback. It seems AIDA64 still has issues retaining the drive ordering when an USB/eSATA drive is connected. Please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Disk Debug --> SMART Dump, and copy-paste the full results into this topic. Please perform the dump 3 times:

1) Before connecting an USB or eSATA drive

2) After connecting an USB or eSATA drive. Before making the dump, wait until the labels are changed and reflect the arrival of the new external disk drive.

3) And finally, after you disconnected the drive previously connected. Before making the dump, wait until the labels are changed and reflect the disconnection of the external disk drive.

Please make sure to have AIDA64 running all the way while making the 3 dumps.

Thanks,

Fiery

Also, what do you mean by "running all the way"?

I meant that you should have kept AIDA64 running while running the dumps and connecting/disconnecting the drive.

Thank you for the dumps, apparently the eSATA interface causes the headaches :) We'll try to implement a workaround in the very next beta release of AIDA64 to fix it up. However, even the beta you're running should handle USB drives fine (I mean USB drives with a temperature sensor, e.g. WD Passport).

I'll let you know in this topic once the next beta is out.

Thanks,

Fiery