Computer Freezes when Running AIDA64 CPUID

B. A. Kenney

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook 3032-us with mobile Intel Core i3 350M processor, 4GB DDR3-1066 memory, 320GB Hitachi SATA-II hard drive.

My problem is that if I open AIDA64 CPUID, my system would freeze if the processor speed is fully kicked in (running at full speed; I think). I don't know if this is the CPUID's parameter error or if my processor is causing the system to hang. It's really frustrating!

How do I fix this issue and still access AIDA64 CPUID at the same time without restarting my laptop every time?

Thanks,

BK

P.S. - I access AIDA64 CPUID a lot of times because of its new design and quick information that I need to know. :(

1) Do you experience the same lockup on other systems as well, or it only happens on this particular notebook?

2) Does the lockup happen when you go to the following AIDA64 pages in the left page menu?

- Computer / Summary

- Computer / Sensor

- Motherboard / CPU

- Motherboard / SPD

- Motherboard / Chipset

- Display / GPU

Please let us know which page(s) cause a similar lockup. We need to narrow it down to a specific module of AIDA64, so we can start investigating from there.

Thanks,

Fiery

Hello Fiery,

First of all, thanks for the reply! :(

To answer your question:

1) I do not experience this problem with other machines - thank goodness!

2) Often times, I am always in the Sensor page when I open AIDA64 CPUID window, if not in the Summary page. Anyways, what matters the most is if I visit any page, freeze up will still occur. How weird. I believe the Sensor page is the most frequent cause for error.

If you need more information, please let me know!

Thanks,

BK

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the same lockup and I'm mad as hell about it!

- Opened PhotoFiltre Studio 10.3.2 and started work on a pic

- Opened AIDA64 v1.00.1123 beta and CPUID window, pressed Alt+Prt Scn, Ashampoo Snap 3's editor loads with screenshot...

- On cropping the last of 4 sides -BANG- my machine locks frozen and need to press Reset on my case!

Windows 7 Professional x64

I just got the same lockup and I'm mad as hell about it!

- Opened PhotoFiltre Studio 10.3.2 and started work on a pic

- Opened AIDA64 v1.00.1123 beta and CPUID window, pressed Alt+Prt Scn, Ashampoo Snap 3's editor loads with screenshot...

- On cropping the last of 4 sides -BANG- my machine locks frozen and need to press Reset on my case!

Windows 7 Professional x64

In case it didn't freeze right after you opened AIDA64 CPUID window, then I'm not at all convinced that the freeze is in connection with AIDA64, or that it's entirely AIDA64's fault :(

But please let us know more about your system, e.g. CPU type, motherboard model, and whether you can experience similar lockups when you have e.g. the OSD Panel opened.

In case it didn't freeze right after you opened AIDA64 CPUID window, then I'm not at all convinced that the freeze is in connection with AIDA64, or that it's entirely AIDA64's fault :(

But please let us know more about your system, e.g. CPU type, motherboard model, and whether you can experience similar lockups when you have e.g. the OSD Panel opened.

Gigabyte H55M-USB3 rev2.00 bios F10 (latest) Motherboard

Intel Core i5-661 3.33Ghz (using Intel HD GPU)

Kingston 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel (2 x 4Gb)

I admit the lockup occurred in Ashampoo Snap 3 but AIDA64 was still running in the background and unless Ashampoo Snap 3 has a problem with Intel HD Graphics Drivers (latest are installed) the blame comes back to AIDA64. Not long after the lockup, I went back and retraced all steps without AIDA64 this time (captured something else to the clipboard) and there were no lockups.

Gigabyte H55M-USB3 rev2.00 bios F10 (latest) Motherboard

Intel Core i5-661 3.33Ghz (using Intel HD GPU)

Kingston 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel (2 x 4Gb)

I admit the lockup occurred in Ashampoo Snap 3 but AIDA64 was still running in the background and unless Ashampoo Snap 3 has a problem with Intel HD Graphics Drivers (latest are installed) the blame comes back to AIDA64. Not long after the lockup, I went back and retraced all steps without AIDA64 this time (captured something else to the clipboard) and there were no lockups.

1) Do you overclock your system?

2) Do you have any external hard disk drives connected? If yes, then USB or eSATA or FireWire?

3) Does a lockup occur when you have the Sensor page showing and updating?

4) Please copy-paste the full content of the Sensor page into this topic.

Thanks,

Fiery

1) Do you overclock your system?

2) Do you have any external hard disk drives connected? If yes, then USB or eSATA or FireWire?

3) Does a lockup occur when you have the Sensor page showing and updating?

4) Please copy-paste the full content of the Sensor page into this topic.

Thanks,

Fiery

1. No

2. Not at the time, I have 3 external USB 2.0 HDD's but only connect them when needed.

3. Not so far

Sensor Type ITE IT8720F (ISA 290h)

Motherboard Name Gigabyte H55 / H55M / H57M / P55 / P55A / P55M / Q57M Series

Chassis Intrusion Detected Yes

Temperatures

Motherboard 37 °C (99 °F)

CPU 23 °C (73 °F)

CPU #1 / Core #1 34 °C (93 °F)

CPU #1 / Core #2 29 °C (84 °F)

PCH 64 °C (147 °F)

GMCH 37 °C (99 °F)

SAMSUNG HD502HJ 35 °C (95 °F)

Cooling Fans

CPU 1308 RPM

Voltage Values

CPU Core 0.960 V

+3.3 V 3.360 V

+5 V 4.946 V

+12 V 12.352 V

VBAT Battery 3.168 V

DIMM 1.584 V

Not sure if it matters or not but I'm not using a Discrete Graphics card, I'm using Intel's newer integrated graphics in the Core range.

Edited by ckit

Core i5 661 uses a max. non-turbo multiplier of 25x (25 x 133.33 MHz BCLK = 3333 MHz core clock). With Turbo Boost it can raise the core multiplier up to as high as 27x. So when AIDA64 reads 26x, it is absolutely normal for your CPU.

Thank you for the feedback, please let me know if AIDA64 locks up when you have the Computer / Overclock page opened and updating.

AIDA64 locks up when the Overclock page is open and updating.

I've also updated to the latest beta 1130.

Thank you, that narrows it down to CPU clock measurement. Do you have any other software running in the background that may also monitor & measure CPU clock speed?

Running AIDA 1.00.1130 and Process Lasso Pro 4.00.08RC1 - checked Computer/Overclock page here - no problems at all. :)

Thanks :( What CPU and motherboard do you have? I suspect it's going to be a bug related to Clarkdale/Arrandale core processors.

Can you please try to close that to see if it causes a collision with AIDA64, or we need to look elsewhere?

We need to look elsewhere!

Having said that, it did take me much longer to reproduce the lock up.

Logfile of AnVir Task Manager Pro v6.3.1 http://www.anvir.com

Log saved at 2/11/2010 18:04

Platform: Windows Windows7_64

MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.0

Running processes:

{Not Microsoft}

C:\Program Files (x86)\USB Safely Remove\USBSRService.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=4 MB, PageFile=1.9 MB}

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe {CPU time=0:05, Memory=6 MB, PageFile=15 MB}

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=5 MB, PageFile=2 MB}

C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk10\PDAgent.exe {CPU time=0:02, Memory=9 MB, PageFile=3 MB}

c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Protexis\License Service\PsiService_2.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=3 MB, PageFile=1.0 MB}

C:\Program Files (x86)\Quick PDF Tools\QuickPDFTCP0719.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=5 MB, PageFile=2 MB, Security risk=38%}

C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk10\PDEngine.exe {CPU time=0:02, Memory=7 MB, PageFile=2 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\igfxtray.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=6 MB, PageFile=2 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=10 MB, PageFile=3 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=8 MB, PageFile=3 MB}

C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\SetPoint.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=18 MB, PageFile=8 MB}

C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=11 MB, PageFile=10 MB}

C:\Program Files\Process Lasso\ProcessLasso.exe {CPU time=0:01, Memory=4 MB, PageFile=4 MB}

C:\Program Files\Process Lasso\ProcessGovernor.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=4 MB, PageFile=2 MB, Security risk=26%}

C:\Program Files\Process Lasso\ProcessGovernor.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=4 MB, PageFile=3 MB, Security risk=26%}

C:\Program Files (x86)\SoftMaker Office 2010\Smash.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=6 MB, PageFile=1.6 MB, Security risk=30%}

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=17 MB, PageFile=8 MB}

C:\Program Files (x86)\NetworkIndicator\NetworkIndicator.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=4 MB, PageFile=1.3 MB}

C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\KHAL3\KHALMNPR.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=11 MB, PageFile=6 MB}

D:\KeePass\KeePass.exe {CPU time=0:01, Memory=48 MB, PageFile=43 MB, Security risk=30%}

C:\Program Files (x86)\USB Safely Remove\USBSafelyRemove.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=16 MB, PageFile=12 MB}

C:\Program Files (x86)\AquaSnap\AquaSnap.Daemon.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=2 MB, PageFile=2 MB, Security risk=30%}

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ashampoo\Ashampoo Snap 3\ashsnap.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=9 MB, PageFile=4 MB}

C:\Program Files (x86)\AquaSnap\AquaSnap.Daemon.x64.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=3 MB, PageFile=2 MB, Security risk=26%}

C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk10\PDAgentS1.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=5 MB, PageFile=2 MB}

D:\CintaNotes\cintanotes.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=8 MB, PageFile=3 MB, Security risk=46%}

C:\Program Files (x86)\FindAndRunRobot\FindAndRunRobot.exe {CPU time=0:02, Memory=20 MB, PageFile=10 MB, Security risk=40%}

C:\Program Files (x86)\Renesas Electronics\USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver\Application\nusb3mon.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=5 MB, PageFile=2 MB}

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=22 MB, PageFile=23 MB}

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=4 MB, PageFile=1.3 MB}

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=3 MB, PageFile=4 MB}

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IEMonitor.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=6 MB, PageFile=2 MB}

C:\Program Files (x86)\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\WinPatrol.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=9 MB, PageFile=2 MB}

C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\ControlCenter3\BrccMCtl.exe {CPU time=0:02, Memory=14 MB, PageFile=5 MB, Security risk=30%}

C:\Program Files (x86)\NetWorx\networx.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=22 MB, PageFile=16 MB}

D:\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=8 MB, PageFile=36 MB, Security risk=30%}

D:\FirefoxPortable\App\Firefox\firefox.exe {CPU time=0:16, Memory=148 MB, PageFile=125 MB}

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=15 MB, PageFile=17 MB}

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=10 MB, PageFile=5 MB}

C:\Program Files (x86)\AnVir Task Manager Pro\AnVir.exe {CPU time=0:09, Memory=32 MB, PageFile=42 MB}

{Microsoft}

C:\Windows\System32\smss.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=1.1 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\csrss.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=4 MB, PageFile=2 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\wininit.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=4 MB, PageFile=1.6 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\csrss.exe {CPU time=0:01, Memory=14 MB, PageFile=2 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=7 MB, PageFile=3 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\services.exe {CPU time=0:01, Memory=10 MB, PageFile=6 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe {CPU time=0:01, Memory=10 MB, PageFile=4 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\lsm.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=4 MB, PageFile=2 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=9 MB, PageFile=4 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=7 MB, PageFile=4 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=22 MB, PageFile=21 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe {CPU time=0:05, Memory=98 MB, PageFile=96 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe {CPU time=0:01, Memory=31 MB, PageFile=18 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=15 MB, PageFile=8 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=15 MB, PageFile=13 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=13 MB, PageFile=7 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=13 MB, PageFile=12 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=9 MB, PageFile=6 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\taskhost.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=7 MB, PageFile=3 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\dwm.exe {CPU time=0:05, Memory=27 MB, PageFile=60 MB}

C:\Windows\explorer.exe {CPU time=0:03, Memory=37 MB, PageFile=24 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\SearchIndexer.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=13 MB, PageFile=19 MB}

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=1.0 MB, PageFile=5 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=8 MB, PageFile=5 MB}

C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WmiPrvSE.exe {CPU time=0:00, Memory=5 MB, PageFile=2 MB}

O2 - BHO: IDMIEHlprObj Class - {0055C089-8582-441B-A0BF-17B458C2A3A8} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IDMIECC.dll

O2 - BHO: Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NUSB3MON] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Renesas Electronics\USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver\Application\nusb3mon.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iAStorIcon] C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [brMfcWnd] C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe /AUTORUN

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter3] C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\ControlCenter3\brctrcen.exe /autorun

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast5] "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe" /nogui

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] C:\Program Files (x86)\BillP Studios\WinPatrol\winpatrol.exe -expressboot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime {Security risk=24%}

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NetWorx] "C:\Program Files (x86)\NetWorx\networx.exe" /auto

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [sMASH] "C:\Program Files (x86)\SoftMaker Office 2010\SMASH.EXE" {Security risk=30%}

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iDMan] C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe /onboot

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NetworkIndicator] C:\Program Files (x86)\NetworkIndicator\NetworkIndicator.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [KeePass Password Safe 2] "D:\KeePass\KeePass.exe" {Security risk=30%}

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uSB Safely Remove] C:\Program Files (x86)\USB Safely Remove\USBSafelyRemove.exe /startup

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AquaSnap] C:\Program Files (x86)\AquaSnap\AquaSnap.Daemon.exe {Security risk=30%}

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AshSnap] C:\Program Files (x86)\Ashampoo\Ashampoo Snap 3\ashsnap.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CintaNotes] "D:\CintaNotes\cintanotes.exe" -m {Security risk=46%}

O4 - File: Find And Run Robot.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\FindAndRunRobot\FindAndRunRobot.exe {Security risk=40%}

O4 - File: Logitech . Product Registration.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LogiShrd\eReg\SetPoint\eReg.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus (avast! Antivirus) - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner (avast! Mail Scanner) - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe

O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner (avast! Web Scanner) - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe

O23 - Service: Windows Media Center Receiver Service (ehRecvr) - Microsoft Corporation - C:\Windows\ehome\ehrecvr.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (IAStorDataMgrSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® Management and Security Application Local Management Service (LMS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe

O23 - Service: PDAgent (PDAgent) - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk10\PDAgent.exe

O23 - Service: PDEngine (PDEngine) - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk10\PDEngine.exe

O23 - Service: Performance Counter DLL Host (PerfHost) - Microsoft Corporation - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\perfhost.exe

O23 - Service: Protexis Licensing V2 (PSI_SVC_2) - Protexis Inc. - c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Protexis\License Service\PsiService_2.exe

O23 - Service: Quick PDF Tools Background Service (QuickPDFTCPService0719) - Debenu Pty Ltd - C:\Program Files (x86)\Quick PDF Tools\QuickPDFTCP0719.exe {Security risk=38%}

O23 - Service: Software Protection (sppsvc) - Microsoft Corporation - C:\Windows\System32\sppsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Interactive Services Detection (UI0Detect) - Microsoft Corporation - C:\Windows\System32\UI0Detect.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® Management & Security Application User Notification Service (UNS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe

O23 - Service: USB Safely Remove Assistant (USBSafelyRemoveService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\USB Safely Remove\USBSRService.exe

--

End of file - 11028 bytes

• 2 weeks later...

Well, count me in, system freezes when using 'sensors' or 'overclock'

Had exactly the same with Everest!

What is working is the 'pci trick' in the ini file but then you will have NO sensor reading.

The speed of the NB is reported false, 1200mhz instead of 2100mhz.

My system:

Asus M4A89TD/pro USB3

AMD 1055T overclocked to 3900mhz

Patriot 2000ll series 2000mhz@1600mhz 2x2GB

2 x HD5850

Seems to me that reading the sensorchip is causing troubles.

All of you, please upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild1155bv4sdn8ytxzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know if it makes any difference.

Rooie: I suppose in your case it's a ULPS-related issue. Please try to disable Multi-GPU support in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability, and check if it fixes the lockup.