New LCD device support: Samsung SPF Digital Photo Frames

Fiery

Ok I will ask them. What kind of data can you process to put it on the photo frame  ?

AIDA64 was originally designed to monitor sensor readings (temperatures, voltages, fan speeds), but later it got extended to cover generic system readings like CPU core clock speed and RAM utilization. We've already exceeded the original goal of the hardware monitoring module, but we're up to adding more features as long as they are about monitoring a certain system state or property. Passing the output of another software to an external LCD doesn't fall in that category :) That other software should be responsible of outputting its displayed data to the external screen.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2016 at 9:01 PM, petrovv111 said:

Possible malfunctions my PhotoFrame. I removed the driver samsung PhotoFrame continues to work with the drivers LibUsb. As soon as I turn off the photo frame and then turn on again LibUsb driver no longer see her.

I also noticed that the Frame does not store the setting after turning off. For example install a brightness level of 100%, turn off - turn the brightness to 80%. It is also very often a window pops up with the demand to format the memory of the photo frame. I'll try to update the firmware hope this will fix the problem.

The problem was in the photo frame. I bought another similar model, and after removing the drivers samsung she continues to work.

How to find out the maximum image size that can take a PhotoFrame? Model SPF -72H. Please explain to what gives change parameter HWMonSPLCDJPEGLimit?

created new skin :)

post-30668-0-04319700-1460729463_thumb.jpg

How to find out the maximum image size that can take a PhotoFrame? Model SPF -72H. Please explain to what gives change parameter HWMonSPLCDJPEGLimit?

JPEG limit is only need to be configured when there's an issue while using complicated LCD layouts. Do you find any issues with your old or new layout?

JPEG limit is only need to be configured when there's an issue while using complicated LCD layouts. Do you find any issues with your old or new layout?

I can not understand the reason why the photo frame freezes. It can work stably and 5 minutes and 5 hours! Then, the image freezes and sometimes there are artifacts.
When I used HWMonSPLCDJPEGLimit parameter with a value of 120-200 seemed to me that the photo frame runs longer. If I use compression degrades picture quality and photo frame freezes often.
This problem occurs on the old and the new photo frame.
There is a suspicion that the photo frame is overheating! I'll try to come up with cooling.

The way it works is that each of those Samsung SPF devices have a limit of a certain maximum JPEG file size. If you pass a bigger file, they will malfunction, and you have to reset them to make them work again. The problem with JPEG is that it's not easy to predict the resulting file size from the input bitmap. So when you specify a JPEG quality of e.g. 80%, the resulting file may be 200KB or 210KB or 180KB, depending on how complex the rendered bitmap is. And since with AIDA64 you can build a dynamic layout, one that may look less complicated or more complicated, depending on the system state, it's not easy to find a proper JPEG quality setting. Sometimes 80% would work for hours, but then a frame comes where the 80% setting yields into a bigger JPEG file, and then the frame freezes. That's why we've introduced the JPEG file size limiter, that will automatically lower the JPEG quality in case the resulting file gets too large. The problem with that setting is that you have to play with it a lot to find the right size for your SPF device. Samsung sadly doesn't publish that data, and AFAIK there's no information on that on the internet anywhere either :(

Perhaps the problem in all SPF-72H models. I have installed a different compression quality and at 10% it still freezes. I deleted all the pictures and leave only the clock and it still freezes.

It is possible of course. SPF-72H is one of the oldest SPF series devices, so it may not work as reliably as newer models like SPF-87H and 800P :(

On 4/21/2016 at 5:50 PM, Fiery said:

It is possible of course. SPF-72H is one of the oldest SPF series devices, so it may not work as reliably as newer models like SPF-87H and 800P :(

I found out why the photo frame freezes! The culprit turned out to be a bar!
When I removed all the bars freezes stopped!
post-30668-0-93210500-1461348163_thumb.jpg
Checked on two photo frames on different computers!

I found out why the photo frame freezes! The culprit turned out to be a bar!

When I removed all the bars freezes stopped!

attachicon.gif2.jpg

Checked on two photo frames on different computers!

Sounds interesting. And also, it doesn't really make much sense :) Unless by removing some visual elements the JPEG image size falls under a certain limit where the device stops failing ;)

Sounds interesting. And also, it doesn't really make much sense :) Unless by removing some visual elements the JPEG image size falls under a certain limit where the device stops failing ;)

I removed the other elements. Problem still exists! But when I removed the bars freezes stopped! For me it's just a mystery, but true!
I'll draw the bars and add these elements through the  item "gauge". I want to test my theory!

I hastened to conclusions! Was wrong! One photo frame hung after 14 hours, the second after 10 hours. Deleting bars affect the duration of the work, but did not fix the problem! I noticed another feature when the photo frame freezes after the next turn, it does not work for long. Last my guess - overheating. I'll try to arrange cooling, see what happens.

Every time the photo frame (spf-87h) is powered on, the following menu pops up and we have to choose one by hand. Is there any way to make it into mass storage mode or monitor mode automatically?

AFAIK there's no way to automatically turn the frame on into a certain mode of use. This is a firmware limitation of the SPF device :(

• 2 weeks later...

I can not understand the reason why the photo frame freezes. It can work stably and 5 minutes and 5 hours! Then, the image freezes and sometimes there are artifacts.
When I used HWMonSPLCDJPEGLimit parameter with a value of 120-200 seemed to me that the photo frame runs longer. If I use compression degrades picture quality and photo frame freezes often.
This problem occurs on the old and the new photo frame.
There is a suspicion that the photo frame is overheating! I'll try to come up with cooling.

Same issue with the SPF-83H.

I will open the back and see if reducing the heat helps reducing the amount of freeze.

Same issue with the SPF-83H.

I will open the back and see if reducing the heat helps reducing the amount of freeze.

I found out the causes freezes!
1. Overheating. This problem, I decided to gluing radiators on the chips. Also I removed the back cover.
2. usb cable length. I had two cables, one 2.5 meters, another 1.5 meters. With a short cable Photo Frame longer worked. I bought a cable even shorter by 0.6 meters and Photo Frame became very rarely freezes. Perhaps if the cable is connected directly to the computer's motherboard and reduce its length to 0.4 meters the photo frame will work stably.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, removing the back cover means that the power buttons and so on are dandling, not neat.

I noticed that heats makes it crash.

I cut a piece of plastic to let the lcd breath ^^

samsung_frame_air_3.jpg

^That's a very nice config you have there. :)

Hi everyone,

What's the latest model Samsung DPF that's supported and available to purchase right now? Preferably Black + 8~12"

Thank you

What's the latest model Samsung DPF that's supported and available to purchase right now? Preferably Black + 8~12"

AFAIK none of them are produced anymore, so you cannot get them brand new anymore. The last series consisted of the 800P, 1000P, 800W and 1000W models. I'm not sure if the "W" version was a successor to the "P" version though.

• 3 weeks later...

Great that works fine.

would be good to add in the import windows the *.splcd.axlcd filter on top of the existing *.sensorpanel

It's not really that straightforward. Those files are not 100% compatible with each other. That's because LCD layouts can have multiple pages, while the SensorPanel layout can only have one page. So if you design a multi-page LCD layout and you import it as a SensorPanel layout, your pages will be joined and several of the LCD items may overlap with each other. In which case you need to re-adjust the positions of those items to fix it up.