New LCD device support: Samsung SPF Digital Photo Frames

Fiery

I think G-sync is breaking the samsung lcd frame support.

I'm not sure how can it be related, since in mini-monitor mode Samsung SPF devices simply work like any other USB device. Can you please check if G-sync breaks OSD Panel or SensorPanel as well? So disable the LCD module, and enable the OSD or SensorPanel instead.

There's no native (firmware) support for rotating the image in mini-monitor mode, so we would have to do the rotation at the end of the rendering process in AIDA64. And since Samsung frames also require compressing the rendered bitmap into JPEG, the overhead of the rotation + JPEG compression would be enermous :( It would have high impact on both CPU load and memory load.

Or you could make the items rotatable in the editor itself, so they are rotated before they are rendered to JPEG (if that makes any sense)

Some items already are (bars), It is mostly the text items that need to be rotated.

I'm asking this because I have this mod in mind: the screen is almost exactly 6 5.25" slots high and wide enough to fit into 5.25".

I just need to make a custom frame for the display and the PCB to fit it onto the front of the case :D

It can be rotated using frame manager. Too bad it breaks Aero.

Or you could make the items rotatable in the editor itself, so they are rotated before they are rendered to JPEG (if that makes any sense)

Some items already are (bars), It is mostly the text items that need to be rotated.

It cannot work, since the AIDA64 LCD/SensorPanel rendering engine doesn't support such tricks. Also, it would be difficult to edit the LCD layout if it is not shown with the right orientation :)

It can be rotated using frame manager. Too bad it breaks Aero.

Do you mean it supports Mini-Monitor native rotation via Frame Manager? If yes, then we'll have to take another look at the USB traffic, to see how it does it. It may rotate the image before submitting it through the USB port (that is the costly method), or the SPF firmware might just support rotation on-the-fly afterall...

10606225_10205828523525698_3327894742901

Screenshot of FrameManager.

The rotation works. I  have tested it.

The software is just so poorly made. I have to select "Mini Monitor" on the frame itself every time I want to use it like that.

Maybe because it was made for Vista and there isn't really a windows 7 version of the software.

or the SPF firmware might just support rotation on-the-fly afterall...

Well it does have an option to rotate portrait photos automatically to fit the frame when used as a photoframe.

We've done a few test runs with a 800P frame. Apparently the device itself do not support rotation on-the-fly in Mini-Monitor Mode, so the software has to rotate the image before submitting it via the USB connection. During our tests we could see a noticable increase in the CPU load of sam_controller.exe (Samsung Frame Manager) process when the image was rotated.

So it is a no-go then?

Given that most modern computers come with a dual core / quad-core cpu and at least 8 gb of ram, would rotating the image in the resource-costly way impact the performance of a computer by that much?

I wish the original software worked better. I tried some different drivers (DisplayLink as suggested here) with no luck.

If it worked like it should I would just make a sensorpanel and drag it onto the picture frame :(

So it is a no-go then?

I'm not saying it's a no go :) In fact, we've already implemented it as a quick & dirty solution to measure to actual resource impact of the image rotation.

Given that most modern computers come with a dual core / quad-core cpu and at least 8 gb of ram, would rotating the image in the resource-costly way impact the performance of a computer by that much?

Yes, it's quite resource consuming, even on a quad-core CPU. It's not about memory, it's more about raw CPU processing power that is necessary to rotate an image. It takes cca. 10% more CPU load (on a quad-core Core i7 CPU) at each frame update to rotate the image by 90 degrees, compared to the regular operating mode of the Samsung SPF LCD module of AIDA64. It effectively means that when the update rate is configured at e.g. 500 milliseconds, one of the CPU cores is constantly working on rendering and rotating a frame. If you reckon that is still something you would want to check out, drop me a private message and I'll send you a test build of AIDA64 Extreme ;)

Rotation is now working fine, here is a rough version of my SPF-105P frame.

I will have to resize and rearrange some things here.

11059950_10205893793957418_5575256670352

My phone is kinda bad at taking photos, it looks much more vivid in person.

Also nevermind Core3, I have a bunch of stuff running in the background (Aida LCD Editor, Adobe Fireworks, AcdSEE photo editor, AirDC++, Mozilla, Live mail :P)

You guys did a great job :D

Rotation is now working fine, here is a rough version of my SPF-105P frame.

I will have to resize and rearrange some things here.

You guys did a great job :D

Thank you for your help about the portrait mode. It wasn't easy to find the actual cause of the slow rotation, but now it's lightning fast with the latest AIDA64 Extreme beta:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

We've also found a few more opportunities to optimize the existing LCD code, so rendering got a bit faster on other devices as well. We've also managed to further accelerate the LCD preview resizing code, so on high-resolution displays the LCD layout building process will be smoother than before.

On SPF-107H portrait mode is "upside down" - emphasis-leg at top, buttons at bottom.

And it works only 2-3 seconds again.

Image is rotated left by 90 degrees in portrait mode, so what you say I suppose is normal.

Do you have the keep-alive option enabled? Did it work before, and now it stopped working with the latest AIDA64 beta?

Image is rotated left by 90 degrees in portrait mode, so what you say I suppose is normal.

For SPF-107H is better to rotate 90° right. The design of emphasis-leg does not give the ability to rotate the frame at 180°. And it's better, when buttons is on top - user can operate them:

57a72af7991bt.jpg

Do you have the keep-alive option enabled? Did it work before, and now it stopped working with the latest AIDA64 beta?

On v5.20.3445 it works good, but now not. No matter of keep-alive option enabled or disabled.

For SPF-107H is better to rotate 90° right. The design of emphasis-leg does not give the ability to rotate the frame at 180°. And it's better, when buttons is on top - user can operate them:

57a72af7991bt.jpg

On v5.20.3445 it works good, but now not. No matter of keep-alive option enabled or disabled.

On the SPF-105P it is however impossible to connect the USB cable if rotated Right (unless you have an angled connector).

Maybe add a option to rotate left or right?

About the keep-alive issue, please try the latest AIDA64 beta

Thank you, now it works.

We will add the left+right 90 degrees rotation option to the next AIDA64 beta. We'll add 180 degrees as well, so all 4 orientation options will be covered.

For all 4 orientation will be enough 2 checkboxes: Landscape/Portrait  &  0°/180°.   

Thank you, now it works.

Thank you for the feedback. We're doing more test runs, and we may remove the keep-alive option and always send the packet at frame initialization.

For all 4 orientation will be enough 2 checkboxes: Landscape/Portrait  &  0°/180°.

We'll use a combobox (drop-down list) to let you select one of the 4 rotation modes.

I have the Samsung 800P I tried with there driver and your driver . Any way to get this to work with windows 10 Does not seem to like your driver. It definitely don't like there's. Thanks in advance

We've tested it with our Samsung 800P device and Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 10159 64-bit, and found no issues. Our libusb0 driver installed and operated just fine. All you need to do is:

1) Connect your 800P to the USB port of the motherboard, wait for Win10 to install the default mass storage driver (just like for any other flash drive or card reader)

2) Start AIDA64, enable Samsung LCD support. The device will be switched to mini-monitor mode, and you'll see that Win10 will try to find a driver for it, but will fail. Press the OK button on the AIDA64 Preferences window.

3) Close AIDA64, install our libusb0 driver via Device Manager.

4) Start AIDA64 again, and it should work now.

You only have to perform those steps once, as the initial installation of the device.

Fiery

I made a mistake its a 1000P  and after you do all this restart the computer you have to do it again over and over just spent 3 hrs with it. So any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

1000P should work similarly to 800P. If it's possible, please let me know the exact steps you perform to try making your SPF work with AIDA64, and the unexpected results that you get. We will perform the same steps on our Win10 test system, and try to reproduce the issue.

Fiery

Happy 4th of July

I Follow the instructions that you gave me above to install works great. Until - Of course until - I shut the machine off and start back up. Then I have to go thru the process that you gave me above again in order for the monitor to be seen. Looks like the monitor 1000P is going back to the home screen and then Aida no longer sees it. Thanks in advance

On the restart

1) Start Aida64 put check Samsung

2) Go to drivers click the .inf file install. For some reason the .exe install on the drivers is not working. Brings up cmd prompt then disappears just as quick.

3) Restart Aida64

4) Good to go

Fiery

Happy 4th of July

I Follow the instructions that you gave me above to install works great. Until - Of course until - I shut the machine off and start back up. Then I have to go thru the process that you gave me above again in order for the monitor to be seen. Looks like the monitor 1000P is going back to the home screen and then Aida no longer sees it. Thanks in advance

On the restart

1) Start Aida64 put check Samsung

2) Go to drivers click the .inf file install. For some reason the .exe install on the drivers is not working. Brings up cmd prompt then disappears just as quick.

3) Restart Aida64

4) Good to go

We'll try this, although in theory it should work flawlessly. The important thing to learn about Samsung frames is that they have 2 distinct working modes. The default mode is the Mass Storage Mode, during which you can access the built-in memory of the frame to copy photos to it. In that mode you cannot transfer images to the frame to get displayed directly. You have to switch the frame into Mini Monitor Mode to do that. In these 2 modes the frame uses a different USB device ID, so Windows will see the frame as if it was 2 different physical USB device. You don't need to install a driver for the Mass Storage Mode, since it uses the built-in Windows driver for mass storage devices. But, once the frame transitions into Mini Monitor Mode, Windows will not find a proper driver for it, and you have to install the AIDA64 libusb0 driver to make it work with AIDA64 -- and in theory any other software that may handle Samsung frames in Mini Monitor Mode via libusb0 API. You only have to install the libusb0 driver once. The next time you restart your computer or power-cycle the frame, it will switch back to the default Mass Storage Mode, but once you start AIDA64, it will transition the frame into Mini Monitor Mode, and a few seconds later you should see it working as expected. There should be no need to install the driver again and again, since once the frame transitions into Mini Monitor Mode, Windows should be able to pick up the previously installed libusb0 driver from its driver store.

I'm not sure however whether it's a good idea to install the .INF file via right-click context menu. It may be best to right-click on the installer_x64.exe --> Run as administrator. Or, go to the Windows Device Manager, find the unknown device, right-click on it --> Properties --> Driver --> Update Driver, and select the folder where you've got our libusb0 driver uncompressed into.