New LCD device support: Samsung SPF Digital Photo Frames

Fiery

Hm... I have to turn on my 105p before Aida starts. Else it does not work.

Even when Aida starts and I turn on the display after. does not work..

The display need to be turned on before my PC boots.

It's because AIDA64 only detects Samsung frames at its startup, and if it can't find any, it will simply give up and wouldn't try to find it again. In other words, it doesn't support hot-plug feature for Samsung frames right now. We'll fix that in the next AIDA64 beta update ;)

It's because AIDA64 only detects Samsung frames at its startup, and if it can't find any, it will simply give up and wouldn't try to find it again. In other words, it doesn't support hot-plug feature for Samsung frames right now. We'll fix that in the next AIDA64 beta update ;)

Good that you took my request into account ^^

Good that you took my request into account ^^

As I've said above, the LCD module doesn't support hot-plug at all, so we have to hack it into the LCD framework on a case-by-case basis. We prefer not to do that, since in some cases it could cause unnecessary stress on the system to keep polling for the arrival of the LCD device. Just imagine you have the SPF support enabled in AIDA64, the LCD update frequency set to 500 millisec (or even lower), you keep using your SPF happily, but then one day you sell the SPF or just put in the drawer, and you forget about leaving the SPF support enabled in AIDA64. If hot-plug is not supported, this isn't an issue, since AIDA64 only checks for the presence of the device once per session. So if you never use the SPF device again, but you leave it enabled in AIDA64, it will just do the scan once, right after you start AIDA64. On the other hand, when hot-plug is enabled, and you forget about having the SPF support enabled, and you never connect your SPF device anymore, then AIDA64 will keep scanning the libusb0 bus twice or even more times a second, in an endless loop. It may not cause all that high of a system load on a modern PC, but IMHO it's still something you should avoid. If you're a power-user who knows exactly what he's doing, this of course will not be a problem :)

So to sum up: hot-plug is great, but we prefer not to implement it, unless multiple users request it ;)

You could add the option for the user to decide to enable the pooling or not ?

It would be possible, but AIDA64 already has hundreds of options, so we try to stay away from adding even more, if possible.

You could also only pool like once every minute.

IMHO it would be annoying if you would have to wait for AIDA64 up to a minute after you've connected your SPF device. But it's a good idea to limit the polling frequency, so we may go for 5 seconds or 10 seconds. It should be a good compromise between too frequent polling and long waiting for AIDA64 to pick the newly connected device up.

Or you could only do the pooling for 5 minutes then stop.

It would be quite annoying, since then you would quickly find yourself beyond the 5 minutes limit, and then you'd have to restart AIDA64 -- just like now.

We will do a few test runs to see how quickly we can poll for new device arrivals. If it can be done in a few milliseconds, then frequent polling will not be an issue on modern PCs afterall.

Fiery

Happy 4th of July

I Follow the instructions that you gave me above to install works great. Until - Of course until - I shut the machine off and start back up. Then I have to go thru the process that you gave me above again in order for the monitor to be seen. Looks like the monitor 1000P is going back to the home screen and then Aida no longer sees it. Thanks in advance

On the restart

1) Start Aida64 put check Samsung

2) Go to drivers click the .inf file install. For some reason the .exe install on the drivers is not working. Brings up cmd prompt then disappears just as quick.

3) Restart Aida64

4) Good to go

We've done more test runs under Win10. It seems our 800P (and I suppose your device too) has a firmware issue that prevents it working 100% reliably under Win10. After Windows shutdown and booting the PC up again, it works just fine. But, if we do a Windows restart or put the PC to sleep, the motherboard no longer sees the SPF connected via USB. So the device will not be present among other Windows devices, and so it's not a driver issue at all, and not related to AIDA64 either. The solution may be to disconnect the device from the USB port and connect it again after a system restart, or to power-cycle the frame to get it working again. The good news is: as soon as we can get our 800P to be seen by the motherboard and Windows again, as a connected USB device, it works 100% reliably. So the only problem is when it disappears from the USB bus after a system restart or sleep, but once it is recognized again by Windows, it works just fine.

I'm not sure if this issue can be fixed by a firmware update, but it may worth a try to contact Samsung about it.

ops, strange this Morning when starting windows 8.1, aida64 loaded but lcd stays empty.

Could it be that the new feature is breaking the first cold start (lcd on and aida64 being loaded) ?

I power cycle the screen and then that was ok of course.

ops, strange this Morning when starting windows 8.1, aida64 loaded but lcd stays empty.

Could it be that the new feature is breaking the first cold start (lcd on and aida64 being loaded) ?

I power cycle the screen and then that was ok of course.

The hot-plug feature should not be related to this issue. The next time it happens, please go to main menu / File / Preferences / Hardware Monitoring / LCD / Samsung, and check what the error message is. Then close the Preferences window by pressing Cancel button, and right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> System Debug --> USB Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic. That dump along with the error message will help us to better understand what the problem might be after cold start. Thank you ;)

Ok I will do that ;-)

This afternoon cold boot was ok ;-)

------[ LibUsb0 Devices ]------

Device Description      : \\.\libusb0-0001--0x04e8-0x200d
Device ID               : 04E8-200D
Device Number           : 1
Device Class            : FF / 00
Device Protocol         : 00
Manufacturer            : SAMSUNG
Product                 : SAMSUNG Digital Photo Frame
Serial Number           : MP612B
Supported USB Version   : 2.00

Ok I will do that ;-)

This afternoon cold boot was ok ;-)

------[ LibUsb0 Devices ]------

Device Description      : \\.\libusb0-0001--0x04e8-0x200d

Device ID               : 04E8-200D

Device Number           : 1

Device Class            : FF / 00

Device Protocol         : 00

Manufacturer            : SAMSUNG

Product                 : SAMSUNG Digital Photo Frame

Serial Number           : MP612B

Supported USB Version   : 2.00

When it goes south, please post the full USB Dump, since it would be important to see the other lists of devices.

After ~2 hours my SPF-107H  switch to storage mode with this text on frame's screen:

LOW Disk space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Before update remove some files from disk.

How is that possible? I mean, AIDA64 does not write anything on the internal storage of SPF devices...

So far so good.

Great :) It would be nice to get to a point where the Samsung LCD module could settle down and work reliably for all of you ;)

Is going south an american expression ?

I have no idea, but probably yes :)

Still the same. SPF-107H periodically (1...6 hours) goes to storage with this message:  

To make it back to work needed to restart frame. After that AIDA recognize it, but screen looks garbage. Needs to restart program or goes to Preferences\LCD\LCD Items -  here (after reload sensors) screen goes good.  

This applies to the latest version. On early versions this not happens. 

Still the same. SPF-107H periodically (1...6 hours) goes to storage with this message:  

To make it back to work needed to restart frame. After that AIDA recognize it, but screen looks garbage. Needs to restart program or goes to Preferences\LCD\LCD Items -  here (after reload sensors) screen goes good.  

This applies to the latest version. On early versions this not happens.

This is getting a bit frustrating now :( You previously stated that Build 3445 worked fine on your SPF-107H. The latest beta version (Build 3479) works exactly the same as 3445 in regards to how it sends the keep-alive packet. So it only sends it once, when AIDA64 initializes the libusb0 device. Your issue seems a bit like if the frame was forgetting about receiving the keep-alive packet after a few hours, or some other USB communication issue occuring. Can you please check what happens if you revert back to AIDA64 v5.20.3400? (latest stable build) Would it work the same as the latest beta? (3479) Or would it disconnect the frame after a few seconds?

BTW, the message "Before update remove some files from disk" looks a bit suspicious to me. What kind of update does it mean? Maybe it refers to firmware update? Because if it does, then there must be a hardware issue, since AIDA64 never sends a firmware update command via the libusb0 connection. If the USB packet gets compromised, then it could be because of a USB cable failure, or an intermittent communication problem between the SPF device and the USB controller of your motherboard. If you happen to have multiple USB controllers on your motherboard, like one for USB 2.0 and another for USB 3.0, then it would be useful to know if the issue goes away (or gets better or worse) by switching to a USB port that belongs to the other USB controller. It would also be great if you could try it with a different USB cable as well.

BTW #2, this whole SPF issue would be a lot easier to investigate if there were only one variant of a particular SPF device model. But since there're multiple versions of SPF-87H and 107H as well, even if we bought e.g. a 107H of our own, it may or may not be the exact same model that you've got, and so it may not be useful at all to try and reproduce the issues you're experiencing. The whole Samsung SPF model portfolio is a big mess, and it's quite a challenge for us to support all the different models and variants with a single code base, and preferably without you having to play with setting various options. But, if nothing else works, and we can be 100% certain that it's not due to an intermittent hardware failure in your case, then we can implement a new option about the keep-alive packet, to let you configure the keep-alive packet sending interval.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's an odd error and there is nothing you can really do about it, but I just figured,,,

Since I have been troubleshooting with you guys over private messages and all...

My old modded s775 machine died recently and I switched to a 1150 machine (an MSI Z97 Mpower Max AC + a i5-4690k)

So here's the thing:

If for any reason my SPF-107H stays in Mini Monitor mode on a hard PC reset or a reboot (pushing the physical reset button on the PC case for example) it will produce a 9C BIOS error (Incompatible USB device) and the PC will hang / not boot.

Once you disconnect the USB cable from the SPF photo frame the PC will continue booting normally. (even if you hard-reset and the PC hangs on 9C error. Once you disconnect the USB cavle from the frame it will continue booting)

This drove me crazy for a little while until I googled the error and tried connecting and disconnecting every USB device I had connected to my PC and booting up (Logitech Wireless receiver, USB Keyboard, External Sound Card, USB 3.0 Hub, etc.)

EDIT: On further investigation this seems to be an issue with MSI boards.

On first boot with the frame turned on it will give a 9C error. On restart it will boot normally. Strange.

So I have to let the board POST first and then power on the frame.

Well here's an odd error and there is nothing you can really do about it, but I just figured,,,

Since I have been troubleshooting with you guys over private messages and all...

My old modded s775 machine died recently and I switched to a 1150 machine (an MSI Z97 Mpower Max AC + a i5-4690k)

So here's the thing:

If for any reason my SPF-107H stays in Mini Monitor mode on a hard PC reset or a reboot (pushing the physical reset button on the PC case for example) it will produce a 9C BIOS error (Incompatible USB device) and the PC will hang / not boot.

Once you disconnect the USB cable from the SPF photo frame the PC will continue booting normally. (even if you hard-reset and the PC hangs on 9C error. Once you disconnect the USB cavle from the frame it will continue booting)

This drove me crazy for a little while until I googled the error and tried connecting and disconnecting every USB device I had connected to my PC and booting up (Logitech Wireless receiver, USB Keyboard, External Sound Card, USB 3.0 Hub, etc.)

EDIT: On further investigation this seems to be an issue with MSI boards.

On first boot with the frame turned on it will give a 9C error. On restart it will boot normally. Strange.

So I have to let the board POST first and then power on the frame.

I think this may have been avoided by disabling booting from USB devices in the UEFI Setup (BIOS Setup) ;)

I think this may have been avoided by disabling booting from USB devices in the UEFI Setup (BIOS Setup) ;)

Does not work. It hangs when detecting USB devices (Keyboard, Mouse, etc.)

Boot is set directly to the System Hard Drive. All other boot options are disabled.

Using latest BIOS.

On another note: The "Hot-plug" thing you did  seems to be working.

I do not need to turn on the frame before starting AIDA64, altho when turning the frame on and off or disconnecting the cable sometimes the picture will get scrambled and I need to open Aida64 and click on preferences to get the picture working again.

Still an improvement over Aida64 freezing and/or needing to restart the software completely :D