AIDA64 Discussion Forum
silvertuna

Asus Maximus X Hero missing VRM temp

If you don't have Asus AI Suite installed, try to enable the 2 options about EC in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability:

Embedded Controller (EC) support
Embedded Controller (EC) bank switching

After altering those options, make sure to restart AIDA64 to apply the changes.

Both of you, please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> Embedded Controller Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post. You may need to enable status bar in AIDA64 / main menu / View first.

Thanks,
Fiery

15 hours ago, silvertuna said:

mine attached

ecdump.txt

Thank you!  It's quite weird, since the register that should hold the VRM temperature readout is zero on your motherboard.  Can you please take a photo of the BIOS page where it shows the VRM temperature readout?

On ‎2017‎. ‎12‎. ‎06‎. at 10:24 PM, silvertuna said:

Well, I feel dumb. After looking again, it is not there. I must have been looking at my other PC.

That explains it, thank you :) Meanwhile we've been informed that the situation is a bit more complex than on other Asus ROG motherboards.  We'll add the relevant register readout in the next AIDA64 beta build, but it will only work when the reading is available in the BIOS.

Did the VRM Sensor issue on the Asus Maximus Hero (and Hero wifi) ever get resolved? There is a guy on OC.net that claims HWiNFO is showing a VRM sensor value but he sees nothing in the BIOS (which I believe but don't understand). Someone on the ROG board claims the VRM sensor is there on the HERO and a corrupt BIOS flash may cause it to not appear in the BIOS. He re-flashed and it appeared. I have tried that and everything else I can think of and cannot see a VRM sensor in the BIOS, in HWiNFO, AIDA64, or SIV.

I Googled reviews and found 5 of them that included BIOS screen shots of the Monitor screen. None of them show a VRM Sensor (and none of the reviews mentioned it's absence). SIV shows a register but it has 0's in it. The VRM Sensor should show up in the EC bus, which I believe AIDA does not monitor due to system stability concerns. HWiNFO has the option, and when enabled, several values show up but no VRM Sensor. Asus has been silent on the matter. Does anyone know if the VRM Sensor exists on the Maximus X Hero and Hero wifi?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, SpeedyV said:

Did the VRM Sensor issue on the Asus Maximus Hero (and Hero wifi) ever get resolved? There is a guy on OC.net that claims HWiNFO is showing a VRM sensor value but he sees nothing in the BIOS (which I believe but don't understand). Someone on the ROG board claims the VRM sensor is there on the HERO and a corrupt BIOS flash may cause it to not appear in the BIOS. He re-flashed and it appeared. I have tried that and everything else I can think of and cannot see a VRM sensor in the BIOS, in HWiNFO, AIDA64, or SIV.

I Googled reviews and found 5 of them that included BIOS screen shots of the Monitor screen. None of them show a VRM Sensor (and none of the reviews mentioned it's absence). SIV shows a register but it has 0's in it. The VRM Sensor should show up in the EC bus, which I believe AIDA does not monitor due to system stability concerns. HWiNFO has the option, and when enabled, several values show up but no VRM Sensor. Asus has been silent on the matter. Does anyone know if the VRM Sensor exists on the Maximus X Hero and Hero wifi?

Thanks!

Some Maximus X Hero motherboards have VRM temperature readout, while others wouldn't.  It seems there are multiple versions of seemingly the same motherboard are out there.

I was advised elsewhere that Asus changed a component (VRM PWM Chip) and the alternate does not report VRM temp. One person that I know of posted that HWiNFO would report it, in EC section, though it was not in BIOS. Perhaps Asus was aware that the alternate VRM PWM chip did not report the temp, so they removed it from later BIOS releases. The person who can see it in HWiNFO but not the BIOS must have a MOBO with the original PWM chip and a later BIOS. Just a theory. Asus reps have been mum on the subject. Thanks again.

I just received and installed a new Asus Maximus X Hero non WiFi version. It came with bios 0505. I updated the bios to 0802 (not very newest). The bios does not show an option for vrm temp but the most recent version of AIDA64 does show the temp and it works normally. Go figure.

On ‎2018‎. ‎02‎. ‎03‎. at 8:54 AM, Feklar said:

I just received and installed a new Asus Maximus X Hero non WiFi version. It came with bios 0505. I updated the bios to 0802 (not very newest). The bios does not show an option for vrm temp but the most recent version of AIDA64 does show the temp and it works normally. Go figure.

Perhaps Asus removed VRM temperature reading from the BIOS Setup on all versions of your motherboard.  AIDA64 fortunately doesn't care about the BIOS version nor the motherboard version.  It simply tries to read the corresponding register from the sensor chip, and when it holds a meaningful value, it shows it.

It seems that Asus did remove VRM temps from the BIOS, at least for the Maximus X Hero Wifi. But I don't see it in AIDA either. I am guessing that the MOBO Feklar received has the (older?) VRM component that does report a VRM temperature. Odd since he just received it. Maybe the non-wifi version still has the old component, or maybe the MOBO he received is from older stock, or maybe current stocks have some of each version. Without comment from Asus, there is really no way to tell.  I thought about looking for a REV# on my MOBO, but for that to be meaningful, I would have to get other people to do this, and then post their REV#s and if they get a VRM temp reported or not. It may be possible to figure out which REV reports VRM temp and which do not, but I probably won't bother, as I think this is a dead issue.

My Maximus X Hero Wifi does not report a VRM temp so I placed (crammed) 2 thermal probes up inside the heat sink, so they are resting against one of the cans. One sensor is plugged into the MOBO Temp_2 header. The other one is connected to a Corsair Commander Pro. They both report reasonable temps and agree within 1 degree C, which is encouraging, though there really is no way to determine if they are accurate. Despite several invitations to comment on the matter, the Asus representative that frequents the ROG and OC.net forums has (so far) refused to acknowledge the issue or offer any insight. In the meantime, the Asus web page for the Maximus X Hero Wifi continues to show a little thermometer on the VRM section, suggesting, but not stating outright, that VRM temp is reported. This irritates me, though not enough to RMA the board. A replacement would probably not have the sensor if this is a result of a component substitution, and it's just not worth the hassle. For X299 - yes, but for Z370 VRM temps are really not a huge concern. YMMV...