Bugs with probes reading (Asus Rampage VI Extreme)

Hello

With Rampage VI Extreme and System Stability Test, I have bugs with probes reading during the tests
As on the Screen, the temperature 1 indicated 201°C, but it is 24°C in reality
For VRM, I had the same thing, minimum temperature 1°C (
not visible on this screen)

Aida64.thumb.PNG.36e13bfe97064490f38f3ae24f51ea3d.PNG

And also, when I run the tests, Aida seems to be "blocked" after a few seconds and after 20 seconds to 1mn, it's good, the temperatures and voltages "vary" and the "Elapsed Time" goes

Thanks

The invalid temperature readings are usually caused by another monitoring tool colliding with AIDA64 about EC (Embedded Controller) register readout.  In your case the most likely candidate for such software is Asus' own monitoring application AI Suite.  Currently there's no 100% reliable way to fix it up.  So if you'd like to avoid such collisions, make sure to uninstall AI Suite, including its background services.

As for the half a minute freezing after you start a stress test session: it's caused by Windows kernel which can get quite slow and bumpy when an application tries to allocate a huge chunk of system memory.  And that's exactly what the memory subtest of AIDA64 System Stability Test initiates right after you press the Start button.  As soon as all the system memory is allocated by the AIDA64 stress test, Windows should return back to normal responsivity.  The duration of the "bumpy" phase depends on the amount of system RAM you have installed.

Ok for the "bumpy" phase after the start of tests
I never had this "problem" with the X99 (same amount of ram)

For the probes problem, I have never used and therefore installed AI Suite or other Asus software
During the test, only System Stability Test is open (no software in the background)

Thanks

On ‎2018‎. ‎01‎. ‎08‎. at 10:22 PM, tistou77 said:

Ok for the "bumpy" phase after the start of tests
I never had this "problem" with the X99 (same amount of ram)

For the probes problem, I have never used and therefore installed AI Suite or other Asus software
During the test, only System Stability Test is open (no software in the background)

Thanks

The difference (between your X99 and X299 systems) might be the Windows 10 build.  In Windows 10 the higher the build number is, the slower some of the kernel calls get.  So allocating the same amount of RAM in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update could well be slower than what it used to be with Windows 10 Creators Update or Anniversary Update.

As for the EC register readout issues: do you have EC bank switching enabled in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability?

3 hours ago, Fiery said:

The difference (between your X99 and X299 systems) might be the Windows 10 build.  In Windows 10 the higher the build number is, the slower some of the kernel calls get.  So allocating the same amount of RAM in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update could well be slower than what it used to be with Windows 10 Creators Update or Anniversary Update.

As for the EC register readout issues: do you have EC bank switching enabled in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability?

Ok for the version of Windows 10, I did not know
Yes I enable
EC bank switching

Thanks

4 hours ago, tistou77 said:

Ok for the version of Windows 10, I did not know
Yes I enable
EC bank switching

Thanks

I guess then either the BIOS itself interferes sometimes with the EC register readout activity of AIDA64, or the EC sometimes becomes slightly unstable in providing the right register values.  Old older motherboards we've seen EC communication issues when the system is under heavy load -- but no glitches when the computer is idle.

4 hours ago, Fiery said:

I guess then either the BIOS itself interferes sometimes with the EC register readout activity of AIDA64, or the EC sometimes becomes slightly unstable in providing the right register values.  Old older motherboards we've seen EC communication issues when the system is under heavy load -- but no glitches when the computer is idle.

But with other monitoring software I do not have this problem
This is related to Aida64's stress test and its monitoring ?

13 hours ago, tistou77 said:

But with other monitoring software I do not have this problem
This is related to Aida64's stress test and its monitoring ?

I'd try to run another monitoring software and AIDA64 stress test in the same time, and see if the heavy stress makes the other software experience EC register readout glitches.  If yes, then it's a hardware issue, and not an AIDA64 related issue.

1 hour ago, Fiery said:

I'd try to run another monitoring software and AIDA64 stress test in the same time, and see if the heavy stress makes the other software experience EC register readout glitches.  If yes, then it's a hardware issue, and not an AIDA64 related issue.

I had tested with SIV launched at the same time as the stress test of Aida64 (more information on consumptions, etc ...) and no weird temperature/voltage with SIV ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, tistou77 said:

And also, when I run the tests, Aida seems to be "blocked" after a few seconds and after 20 seconds to 1mn, it's good, the temperatures and voltages "vary" and the "Elapsed Time" goes

Thanks

Hello

For information, tested with SIV, HWInfo, etc... and no "bumpy phase" after start the test
Only the Aida64 benchmark window (and monitoring) freeze, the other programs do not have this "bumpy phase" with the Aida64 benchmark launched

26 minutes ago, tistou77 said:

Hello

For information, tested with SIV, HWInfo, etc... and no "bumpy phase" after start the test
Only the Aida64 benchmark window (and monitoring) freeze, the other programs do not have this "bumpy phase" with the Aida64 benchmark launched

Please note that when an AIDA64 benchmark is launched, AIDA64 monitoring threads are put to sleep in order to avoid them interfering with the benchmark threads.  Otherwise the benchmark results would be lower.

9 minutes ago, Fiery said:

Please note that when an AIDA64 benchmark is launched, AIDA64 monitoring threads are put to sleep in order to avoid them interfering with the benchmark threads.  Otherwise the benchmark results would be lower.

Aa ok, thanks ;)

• 1 month later...

Hello

It is also normal that during the stress test, the weather, monitoring, etc ... freeze very regularly (the time can jump 20 seconds) ?
What is annoying is that we do not know if it is Aida64 that "freezes" or if it is because of the OC (no worries with other stress test and Aida64 in the background, for monitoring)

For the "bump" at the start of the benchmark, maybe it would be better to be like this
Launch of the benchmark (Start) => allocated memory => start of the benchmark (
begin time elapsed)

Instead the benchmark starts (time elapsed), freeze (while memory is allocated) and the benchmark continues

Thanks

On ‎2018‎. ‎03‎. ‎11‎. at 6:47 PM, tistou77 said:

Hello

It is also normal that during the stress test, the weather, monitoring, etc ... freeze very regularly (the time can jump 20 seconds) ?
What is annoying is that we do not know if it is Aida64 that "freezes" or if it is because of the OC (no worries with other stress test and Aida64 in the background, for monitoring)

For the "bump" at the start of the benchmark, maybe it would be better to be like this
Launch of the benchmark (Start) => allocated memory => start of the benchmark (
begin time elapsed)

Instead the benchmark starts (time elapsed), freeze (while memory is allocated) and the benchmark continues

Thanks

I'm confused.  Are you talking about benchmarking or stress testing? :)

16 minutes ago, Fiery said:

I'm confused.  Are you talking about benchmarking or stress testing? :)

The stress test (System Stability Test) not the benchmark :)
There is a gap between reading Computer/Sensor and the infromations with System Stability Test

The System Stability Test window "freezes" very often (noticed with the Elapsed Time that can "jump" by several seconds), and reading temperatures, voltages is not "synchronized" with the monitoring of the sensor part of Aida64 (Computer/Sensor) several tens of seconds difference

The problem comes from System Stability Stress app, because if I use another stress test and only use the
System Stability Test for reading probes for example, the window "freezes" very often (it's ok with the Computer/Sensor window)

Thanks

13 minutes ago, tistou77 said:

The stress test (System Stability Test) not the benchmark :)
There is a gap between reading Computer/Sensor and the infromations with System Stability Test

The System Stability Test window "freezes" very often (noticed with the Elapsed Time that can "jump" by several seconds), and reading temperatures, voltages is not "synchronized" with the monitoring of the sensor part of Aida64 (Computer/Sensor) several tens of seconds difference

The problem comes from System Stability Stress app, because if I use another stress test and only use the
System Stability Test for reading probes for example, the window "freezes" very often (it's ok with the Computer/Sensor window)

Thanks

Have you tried it with the latest AIDA64 beta as well?

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

I'm just asking because we've recently applied a workaround to mitigate the issue you've described.

2 minutes ago, tistou77 said:

Yes, I've tried it yesterday ;)

It's cool then :) Please let me know what subtests do you have enabled in the System Stability Test when the "jumping" occurs.  If you have the memory stress test enabled, please check it without it, and let me know if it makes a difference.  If it does,  let me know how much system RAM do you have installed, and whether you're running the latest Windows 10 stable build (of 16299) or an Insider Preview build.

So I use CPU, FPU, Cache and Memory
I will test without "Memory" to see
I am using the latest version of Windows 10 16299
Besides, I think that the amount of memory tested is too important (98%) whereas all the other stress tests, uses ~ 90%

3 minutes ago, tistou77 said:

So I use CPU, FPU, Cache and Memory
I will test without "Memory" to see
I am using the latest version of Windows 10 16299
Besides, I think that the amount of memory tested is too important (98%) whereas all the other stress tests, uses ~ 90%

How much system RAM you've got? 32GB? 64GB?  A lot rides on that, since it takes quite some time for Win10 to allocate big chunks of RAM.  Windows, going from WinXP through Win7 through Win8 to Win10 tends to get slower and slower when it comes to allocating huge memory blocks.  But, you may have a point there: we may need to add a new option in the System Stability Test Preferences to let you lower the default 95% memory allocation to 90% or 80%.

30 minutes ago, Fiery said:

How much system RAM you've got? 32GB? 64GB?  A lot rides on that, since it takes quite some time for Win10 to allocate big chunks of RAM.  Windows, going from WinXP through Win7 through Win8 to Win10 tends to get slower and slower when it comes to allocating huge memory blocks.  But, you may have a point there: we may need to add a new option in the System Stability Test Preferences to let you lower the default 95% memory allocation to 90% or 80%.

I have 32 GB and there is only 500 MB left available when I test with Aida64
It will be a good idea this new option

I do not know how the stress test allocates the memory, but for example with Ram Test, this stress test takes 3 to 4 seconds to allocate 90% of ram and no freeze
Same with HCI Memtest

EDIT: After I know that with RamTest the allocation of memory is faster when the Cache is also tested
For Memory + Cache: ~ 4 sec to allocate memory
Memory: ~ 12sec to allocate memory
And no freeze in both cases

16 minutes ago, tistou77 said:

If you need other tests ;)

An idea of when will be available the "new option" for memory allocation ?

We'll work on it soon.  First we need to roll out a new stable update to AIDA64 ;)