fixed: AIDA64 makes my PC BSOD (kmode execption not handled) (Asus X99-Deluxe + i7-5930K + GTX980Ti + Win10 B17134) [Win10 1803 timer collision]

sblantipodi

Do you think it could be related to the Windows 10 major update of 1803?  Also, please let us know more about your hardware configuration. Motherboard model, CPU type, HDD(s) / SSD(s), video card(s)...

Thanks,
Fiery

4 hours ago, Fiery said:

Do you think it could be related to the Windows 10 major update of 1803?  Also, please let us know more about your hardware configuration. Motherboard model, CPU type, HDD(s) / SSD(s), video card(s)...

Thanks,
Fiery

Hi Fiery,
thanks for the prompt answer, as always.

It could be a problem of the recent update, it's not a problem that bug me since a lot but I don't know when it started exactly.

I have attached the report from Aida with all the specs of my rig.
That report seems to show 4 GPUs, but I have only two.

Report.htm

Hey @sblantipodi, I just wanted to let you know that I was experiencing a somewhat similar issue. At first, I thought it was a bug with AIDA but then after talking to some people, I realized that it wasn't likely the case. I had bought a new Intel 545s M.2 SSD in the last two weeks and I had done a completely clean installation of Windows 10 Pro April Update on that. Ever since the April Update, I've been encountering errors (Mostly Kmode_Exception_Not_Handled, and one or two times Memory_Management for some reason). It was really bad... I was BSODing at stock settings (sometimes even before Windows loaded to the login screen, a couple of other times when I was loading into a game, or most frequently when I tried stress testing with AIDA). I tried everything I could think of or that I could find online by googling. For some reason, I was able to pass Intel Burn Test and OCCT CPU Test several times without a single BSOD, but no matter what I tried doing I would BSOD with AIDA (whether it be 15 minutes in or 49 minutes in). Luckily,  I still had my old Samsung 850 Evo SSD with my old Windows 10 Pro installation (Pre-April Update). I plugged it in and booted into Windows 10. As of this moment, I have had the stress test running for over 6 hours without a single BSOD.  Not sure if what I have been experiencing is somehow related to what you are, but if you have a spare hard drive and some time I recommend trying to do an installation pre-April Update Windows 10 and trying that out. Hope it helps!

6 hours ago, Rain said:

Hey @sblantipodi, I just wanted to let you know that I was experiencing a somewhat similar issue. At first, I thought it was a bug with AIDA but then after talking to some people, I realized that it wasn't likely the case. I had bought a new Intel 545s M.2 SSD in the last two weeks and I had done a completely clean installation of Windows 10 Pro April Update on that. Ever since the April Update, I've been encountering errors (Mostly Kmode_Exception_Not_Handled, and one or two times Memory_Management for some reason). It was really bad... I was BSODing at stock settings (sometimes even before Windows loaded to the login screen, a couple of other times when I was loading into a game, or most frequently when I tried stress testing with AIDA). I tried everything I could think of or that I could find online by googling. For some reason, I was able to pass Intel Burn Test and OCCT CPU Test several times without a single BSOD, but no matter what I tried doing I would BSOD with AIDA (whether it be 15 minutes in or 49 minutes in). Luckily,  I still had my old Samsung 850 Evo SSD with my old Windows 10 Pro installation (Pre-April Update). I plugged it in and booted into Windows 10. As of this moment, I have had the stress test running for over 6 hours without a single BSOD.  Not sure if what I have been experiencing is somehow related to what you are, but if you have a spare hard drive and some time I recommend trying to do an installation pre-April Update Windows 10 and trying that out. Hope it helps!

rain I appreciate your answer, thanks.

unfortunantly windows minidump speaks clearly, the software that creates the problem is aida64.exe

we are not talking about stress testing, we are talking about leaving a youtube video on pause for 15 minutes.
this only happen if aida is opened.

@Fiery

any idea?

@sblantipodi, yeah my BSODs came back. The test ran for ~8-10 hours before my screen went black (followed by Kmode BSOD the next two times I tried). Hopefully, someone can find a solution for you =/

On 18/5/2018 at 5:25 PM, Fiery said:

We suspect it can be due to the video driver, so I'd try to downgrade ForceWare, to a late-2017 WHQL release, 388.31 for example.

@Fiery

it seems that rolling back to 388.31 solved the problem.

what's a strange thing, a video driver that make AIDA crash and BSOD windows?

On 5/20/2018 at 2:44 AM, sblantipodi said:

what's a strange thing, a video driver that make AIDA crash and BSOD windows?

I believe the nvidia kernel mode driver is suffering a double free or use after free which is brought on via applications using nvapi, thats why the faulting process is one which accesses the card using this api.

windows will often say ntoskernl or ntkrnlmp because of an imprecise timing issue in the exception handler, in my case its  pointing at X64_0x1E_nt!KiDispatchException+1c7 which is definitely not the actual fault lol.

Hi there

I have a similar problem. My minidump files however are pointing at nvlddmkm.sys.

The "kmode_exception_not_handled" only occurs during long idle times...... never while hammering my system @ 100% with stress tests or demanding games.

My System:

Aida64 latest build (with remote display active trough tcpip)

i7 3770k

Asus z77 Maximus V Extreme (latest BIOS 1903)

Gskill Trident 16 GB @ 2400

EVGA 980 ti Classified (Latest Nvidia drivers 397.64, DDU cleaninstall)

WIndows 10 B17134 (Clean install through iso image)

I tested it to be certain;:

When AIDA64 is running my system will do a bugcheck and quit with kmode_exception_not_handled, rebooting into logon screen after about 30 min to 60 min. Without Aida64 it idled 12h+

Ive been using aida64 for many years now and i dont want to miss it any suggestions?

Thank you

052418-6937-01.dmp

1 hour ago, Squall Leonhart said:

dump file must go to nvidia and feedback provided with system details, this is an nvidia driver bug.

PS: it comes up as being in ntkrnlmp.exe here, all changes based on the application scanning the dump.

Hm so what should i do now? Conntact nvidia?

Just chiming in here, I'm getting crashes with various monitoring tools (GPU-Z, Afterburner) as well, using the latest drivers.

Something is definitely up with the latest set(s) of drivers, I've never had BSOD's using these tools in the last years.

My report and follow-up over at the Nvidia boards. Also sent in minidumps, full memory dump and filled in driver feedback. Unfortunately, they say they can't repro.

On 5/25/2018 at 1:36 AM, Forceflow said:

Just chiming in here, I'm getting crashes with various monitoring tools (GPU-Z, Afterburner) as well, using the latest drivers.

Something is definitely up with the latest set(s) of drivers, I've never had BSOD's using these tools in the last years.

My report and follow-up over at the Nvidia boards. Also sent in minidumps, full memory dump and filled in driver feedback. Unfortunately, they say they can't repro.

those drivers are becaming a crap.

6 hours ago, Forceflow said:

The 397.XX series took a strong turn for the worst, that's for sure.

I agree, now they added another BSOD to my list.
Now I can BSOD even while playing a youtube video (no idle like before) and now I have another error code:

DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE

WTF?

• 2 weeks later...

Start command prompt in admin mode

Execute the following command: verifier /standard /driver nvlddmkm.sys

If you haven't already enabled for kernel dump, Could you please follow the steps here: http://mywindowshub.com/how-to-configure-windows-10-to-create-dump-files-on-bsod/ and enable "Kernel memory dump" under System failure region

Reboot the system

Get a repro

Zip dump and upload it on google drive, mail a share link to driverfeedback@nvidia.com

• 2 weeks later...

We believe we've found the root cause of the issues concerning Windows 10 April 2018 Update (Version 1803 / Build 17134) based systems.  The timer that AIDA64 uses for BCLK measurement is also used by a new Win10 component.  Most likely that component is used for GPU profiling.  And when AIDA64 and Win10 both use the timer for their own purposes in the same time, the system could become unstable.  We've had to disable polling for BCLK, so from now on AIDA64 will only measure BCLK once, and then use the last value until AIDA64 gets restarted.  Here's the new AIDA64 beta build that includes the workaround:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, Squall Leonhart said:

Don't mix up the issues Fiery, this bsod is occuring on 7 and 10 16299+17134

Then it could be 2 different issues.  For the timer issue of Win10 Build 17134 the above workaround should work.  We'll need to work on the ForceWare bug as well.

As much as nvidia cannot reproduce it, im still convinced it is a driver bug,  i've seen it reported with users running evga precision, kombustor, aida64, gpu-shark

a combination of aida64 and gpu shark running at the same time brought it on in 4 days, aida64 alone a week.

Considering this rides on the tail of nvidia fixing the GDI leak, its suspicious.

Testing 4652 under 17134, none of the clocks under Overclock update, everything under CPU Speed is now a static number

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:04 PM, Squall Leonhart said:

Testing 4652 under 17134, none of the clocks under Overclock update, everything under CPU Speed is now a static number

Yes, since the BCLK is now measured only once, to avoid collisions with the Win10 RS4 kernel.