fixed: Mounting VHD makes SensorPanel disk temp disappear

1. Set up the SensorPanel and add the disk temperature to it. (I'm using my NVMe drive's sensor)

2. Open Disk Management in Windows and use Action -> Create VHD.

3. When created, it will automatically mount the disk, and the temperature widget will disappear.

It's possible those steps may not reproduce the problem, let me know and I will try to narrow it down more.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:16 AM, bbent67888 said:

1. Set up the SensorPanel and add the disk temperature to it. (I'm using my NVMe drive's sensor)

2. Open Disk Management in Windows and use Action -> Create VHD.

3. When created, it will automatically mount the disk, and the temperature widget will disappear.

It's possible those steps may not reproduce the problem, let me know and I will try to narrow it down more.

After VHD creation please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Disk Debug --> SMART Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post. You may need to enable status bar in AIDA64 / main menu / View first.

Also right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Disk Debug --> Disk Controllers Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post.

Finally, right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Disk Debug --> RAID Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post.

Thanks,
Fiery

13 hours ago, Fiery said:

After VHD creation please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Disk Debug --> SMART Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post. You may need to enable status bar in AIDA64 / main menu / View first.

Also right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Disk Debug --> Disk Controllers Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post.

Finally, right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Disk Debug --> RAID Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post.

Thanks,
Fiery

Thank you for the tip about the dumps. After looking at them, I believe I know what the issue is.

When creating the VHD, it seems to set itself as the first device (ordinal A0001). I'm assuming this is how SensorPanel binds to the device, so with the VHD being set to the ordinal the Samsung SSD was, it breaks temperature display since VHDs obviously have no temperature.

Attached is a comparison, left is before VHD creation, right is after.

Comparison.png

My theory appears correct. In aida64.ini, you can find this entry:

HWMonSPItem=<ID>THDD1</ID>

With the VHD mounted, if I re-add the SensorPanel item, this ini entry changes to THDD2.

So the number after THDD corresponds to ORD in the SMART dump.

Binding by ordinals won't cut it anymore, you should bind it my HDD serial, or something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:21 AM, bbent67888 said:

Let me know if there's any more info I can provide to help find a solution..;)

Thank you for the info.  Please upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme available at:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works ;)