Jump to content
AIDA64 Discussion Forum
Yemble

NVMe Drives Disappear From OSD Panel During Temperature Update

Recommended Posts

I use the OSD for monitoring system temperatures and fan speeds.  I find AIDA64 the most convenient of (numerous) hardware monitors for just displaying a text list of specific metrics.

However, I have come across one rather annoying attribute of v5.55.4992b, when listing NVMe drive temps.  During each refresh cycle, the line display for my three NVMe drives (a Samsung 970 Evo+ and a couple of Corsair Force MP510s) disappears from the OSD and all of the lines below are shuffled up.  A few seconds later, the three NVMe lines re-appear and the subsequent lines shuffle down again.  Interestingly, this behaviour does not apply for my single OCZ Vertex SSD drive.  Ref. attached snippet.  Note that I have deliberately moved the NVMe drives to the bottom of the list to reduce the amount of jumping text!

This is really irritating behaviour and is surely not intentional?

Any chance of fixing this please?

OSD.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:16 PM, Yemble said:

I use the OSD for monitoring system temperatures and fan speeds.  I find AIDA64 the most convenient of (numerous) hardware monitors for just displaying a text list of specific metrics.

However, I have come across one rather annoying attribute of v5.55.4992b, when listing NVMe drive temps.  During each refresh cycle, the line display for my three NVMe drives (a Samsung 970 Evo+ and a couple of Corsair Force MP510s) disappears from the OSD and all of the lines below are shuffled up.  A few seconds later, the three NVMe lines re-appear and the subsequent lines shuffle down again.  Interestingly, this behaviour does not apply for my single OCZ Vertex SSD drive.  Ref. attached snippet.  Note that I have deliberately moved the NVMe drives to the bottom of the list to reduce the amount of jumping text!

This is really irritating behaviour and is surely not intentional?

Any chance of fixing this please?

OSD.jpg

1) Can you see the same issue with AIDA64 v5.99.4900, the latest stable release?

2) Are your NVMe drives part of a RAID array?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Fiery said:

1) Can you see the same issue with AIDA64 v5.99.4900, the latest stable release?

2) Are your NVMe drives part of a RAID array?

The two Corsair drives are in a RST RAID-0 set, however, the Samsung EVO is an AHCI Windows 10 OS boot drive.  All three NVMe drives are affected, but not the older OCZ Vertex SATA SSD.  All three NVMe drives are located directly on the Aorus Master motherboard, if that is relevant.

Not tried the release version, as I had assumed that the beta would be "more advanced".  Are you saying that the release version does not exhibit this behaviour?

The thread title suggests that this is related to the aquisition of temperature data, however, I suppose that it is whilst querying the drive's SMART data.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Yemble said:

The two Corsair drives are in a RST RAID-0 set, however, the Samsung EVO is an AHCI Windows 10 OS boot drive.  All three NVMe drives are affected, but not the older OCZ Vertex SATA SSD.  All three NVMe drives are located directly on the Aorus Master motherboard, if that is relevant.

Not tried the release version, as I had assumed that the beta would be "more advanced".  Are you saying that the release version does not exhibit this behaviour?

The thread title suggests that this is related to the aquisition of temperature data, however, I suppose that it is whilst querying the drive's SMART data.

We've tried to replicate the issue on our own NVMe drives (using the latest AIDA64 beta build), but with no luck.  So I cannot check whether there's a difference between the latest stable build (4900) and the latest beta build (4992), since they both work properly for us.  But it would be important to find out whether the issue is related to the recent changes that are only available in the last few beta builds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Fiery said:

We've tried to replicate the issue on our own NVMe drives (using the latest AIDA64 beta build), but with no luck.  So I cannot check whether there's a difference between the latest stable build (4900) and the latest beta build (4992), since they both work properly for us.  But it would be important to find out whether the issue is related to the recent changes that are only available in the last few beta builds.

OK, how odd!  I'll give the release version a shot when I get home.  What sampling period do you have set for aquiring the drive SMART data?  I'm sure I have it on the default setting (whatever that is).

FYI, mobo is a Gigabyte Aorus Master running F9b BIOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yemble said:

OK, how odd!  I'll give the release version a shot when I get home.  What sampling period do you have set for aquiring the drive SMART data?  I'm sure I have it on the default setting (whatever that is).

FYI, mobo is a Gigabyte Aorus Master running F9b BIOS.

We've tried it with the default 20 seconds poll rate as well as with 1 second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sussed it :D

In the Stability settings, the RAID SMART support option is enabled by default.  Disabling this option stops the NVMe drive lines periodically disappearing, but crucially, it does not prevent the drives SMART data from being read, even though two of the drives are in a RST RAID-0 set.  Note that I left RAID member enumeration enabled.

This applies to the AIDA64 release version as well as the latest two betas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×