Jump to content
AIDA64 Discussion Forum
Nightflight

Aida64 Extreme 5.99 4900 - Core Voltage value never changes (Asus Rampage V Edition 10 + i7-6950X)

Recommended Posts

Hi everybody,

I am using Aida64 for many years and never had a problem with it. That changed after I updated Windows 10 x64 to 1903. The value of core voltage is according to Aida64 a permanent and static value of 1.216 V. This is incorrect. My core voltage value setting is set to default in Bios. Other apps like cpu-z or Hardware Monitor show the correct core voltage value, which changes permanently between 0.7 and 0.9 V in idle mode, respective internet and office mode. All other values are shown correctly.

I already try the latest beta versions of Aida64, but no change at all.

What can be the problem here and is there a way to solve it?

Windows 10 x64 1903, Asus Rampage V Edition 10, Intel 6950x. Aida64 Extreme 5.99.4900 portable.

Thank you for your help.

 

Regards,

Nightflight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello again,

after a couple of hours of research, I found out that Aida64 is showing the core value of core #9 which seems to have always the same value of 1.216 V, while the core values of all other cores vary permanently. See attachement.

Is there an explanation for this behaviour? Can it be solved e.g. to force Aida64 to show the core value of core #1 instead of core #9?

As mentioned before, every other monitoring software show the exact value as in my bios, except for Aida64.

Every hint or help is much appreciated.

 

Regards,

Nightflight

Screenshot.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:11 PM, Nightflight said:

I am using Aida64 for many years and never had a problem with it. That changed after I updated Windows 10 x64 to 1903. The value of core voltage is according to Aida64 a permanent and static value of 1.216 V. This is incorrect. My core voltage value setting is set to default in Bios. Other apps like cpu-z or Hardware Monitor show the correct core voltage value, which changes permanently between 0.7 and 0.9 V in idle mode, respective internet and office mode. All other values are shown correctly.

I already try the latest beta versions of Aida64, but no change at all.

What can be the problem here and is there a way to solve it?

Windows 10 x64 1903, Asus Rampage V Edition 10, Intel 6950x. Aida64 Extreme 5.99.4900 portable.

Thank you for your help.

CPU VID on Sandy Bridge and later processors are read from a CPU register.  AIDA64 doesn't specifically forces the thread that reads that register onto any cores, so it's the job of the Windows scheduler to decide which core it executes the register readout task on.  Most likely Windows works the way it is because it deems AIDA64 is a performance oriented application and so whatever it does is executed on the highest performing core (also known as preferred core) which can use the highest Turbo Boost ratio.  In your processor's case it seems to be the last core.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx for your answer and clarification. But in my case, it does not apply. I checke it many times and my preferred core is core#6 and not #9.

Could there be any other explanation for this behaviour?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nightflight said:

Thx for your answer and clarification. But in my case, it does not apply. I checke it many times and my preferred core is core#6 and not #9.

Could there be any other explanation for this behaviour?

The Windows scheduler explanation still applies: Windows deems it's best to run AIDA64 on the last core and probably puts more threads/processes on that core as well.  It results in the core running at a higher core ratio than the other cores, which then means it has to use a higher VID step to operate properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx Fiery for your help. Very much appreciated.

I think, this a Windows 10 fault because:

- Windows 10 1803 Clean Install with latest cumulative update. All core voltages change permanently. No core voltage is static at all.

- Windows 10 1809 Clean Install with latest cumulative update. Core voltage of core #9 is static.

- Windows 10 1903 Clean Install with latest cumulative update. Core voltage of core #9 is static.

So what has changed in Windows between 1803 and now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, Nightflight said:

Thx Fiery for your help. Very much appreciated.

I think, this a Windows 10 fault because:

- Windows 10 1803 Clean Install with latest cumulative update. All core voltages change permanently. No core voltage is static at all.

- Windows 10 1809 Clean Install with latest cumulative update. Core voltage of core #9 is static.

- Windows 10 1903 Clean Install with latest cumulative update. Core voltage of core #9 is static.

So what has changed in Windows between 1803 and now?

Quite a lot.  Under the hood the Windows kernel is under constant improvement and change.  Probably Microsoft made a mistake about supporting your processors to the last bit :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...