fixed: Windows Defender not detected by AIDA64 Extreme

Partha

Windows Defender is apparently not getting recognized by the latest AIDA64 Extreme. I am using the latest Windows on my PC  and  the Windows Defender is up to date. I also ran a sfc/ scannow and did not find any corruptions

PFA relevant screenshots.

AIDA64 issue.png

Security at a glance.png

Windows Defender and Windows 10 versions.png

20 hours ago, Partha said:

Windows Defender is apparently not getting recognized by the latest AIDA64 Extreme. I am using the latest Windows on my PC  and  the Windows Defender is up to date. I also ran a sfc/ scannow and did not find any corruptions

PFA relevant screenshots.

Thank you for the bug report.  I'm not sure if it's possible to detect Windows Defender on recent Win10 builds, but we'll improve on it in the next AIDA64 beta in order to show some details on the Windows Defender installation.  The virus database date seems to be off though, so we need to do more research on that matter.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:35 AM, Fiery said:

Thank you for the bug report.  I'm not sure if it's possible to detect Windows Defender on recent Win10 builds, but we'll improve on it in the next AIDA64 beta in order to show some details on the Windows Defender installation.  The virus database date seems to be off though, so we need to do more research on that matter.

It is possible to access Windows Defender Status using WMI ….

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/previous-versions/windows/desktop/defender/msft-mpcomputerstatus

But I'm not sure if AIDA64 (32Bit APP) could use Windows Defender WMI  (64 Bit DLL - C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\ProtectionManagement.dll )

1 hour ago, Crashtest said:

It is possible to access Windows Defender Status using WMI ….

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/previous-versions/windows/desktop/defender/msft-mpcomputerstatus

But I'm not sure if AIDA64 (32Bit APP) could use Windows Defender WMI  (64 Bit DLL - C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\ProtectionManagement.dll )

Sadly, via WMI the same incorrect information is returned, e.g. last AV signature update in 2016, etc.  Anyway, here's a new AIDA64 beta where we've fixed what we could:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

Maybe this is because of reading the wrong file for its version!

If you just get the version of C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe - on my system it get 4.18.1902.5

But if I follow the path from Registry ( HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\

String "InstallLocation"

I get an other path -> "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.18.1906.3-0\"

Inside this "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.18.1906.3-0\" is an other "MsMpEng.exe" with version 4.18.1906.3 - same version is reportet by Windows Defender Info Box

BUT:

AIDA64 displays correct file version at the Anti-Spyware page !?!?!

AIDA64_BUG_WinDef_2.png

AIDA64_BUG_WinDef_3.png

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:47 PM, Crashtest said:

Maybe this is because of reading the wrong file for its version!

If you just get the version of C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe - on my system it get 4.18.1902.5

But if I follow the path from Registry ( HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\

String "InstallLocation"

I get an other path -> "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.18.1906.3-0\"

Inside this "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\platform\4.18.1906.3-0\" is an other "MsMpEng.exe" with version 4.18.1906.3 - same version is reportet by Windows Defender Info Box

BUT:

AIDA64 displays correct file version at the Anti-Spyware page !?!?!

Make sure to upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Engineer available at:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64eebeta

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know if it helps.

• Like 1