AIDA64 hangs at "Scanning SMART devices"

bama_tl

I'm evaluating the extreme version (latest) and when I try to run the application it hangs @ "scanning SMART devices". I have two drives Western Digital  and a Crucial (SSD).  I can view the SMART parameters for both drives using a drive tool by Crucial. To kill the task I have to restart. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 1:11 AM, bama_tl said:

I'm evaluating the extreme version (latest) and when I try to run the application it hangs @ "scanning SMART devices". I have two drives Western Digital  and a Crucial (SSD).  I can view the SMART parameters for both drives using a drive tool by Crucial. To kill the task I have to restart. Any thoughts?

Do you have any external HDDs or SSDs connected via USB, eSATA or Thunderbolt?

• 8 months later...

I am having this issue as well. It was working great for months - nothing changed in my system but all of a sudden it will hang when scanning SMART devices. Updated to newest version and tried the beta and no difference. Any solutions to this? I have 6 internal drives (1 PCIe SSD, 1 SATA SSD, 4 SATA HDDs). Nothing external. Thanks!

On 5/11/2020 at 6:15 PM, AJ1 said:

I am having this issue as well. It was working great for months - nothing changed in my system but all of a sudden it will hang when scanning SMART devices. Updated to newest version and tried the beta and no difference. Any solutions to this? I have 6 internal drives (1 PCIe SSD, 1 SATA SSD, 4 SATA HDDs). Nothing external. Thanks!

If you have an Intel RST or RSTe RAID controller, try to update its drivers to the latest version.  BTW, "nothing changed" may well be true for the hardware layer, but in the background Windows 10 could well have updated or messed up with the RAID drivers and that could cause issues when a software is trying to enumerate disk drives.

• 11 months later...

Or how bout your code your software better to ignore that and if it hangs on enumerating disks it just displays an "unable to enumerate disk, please check your raid drivers" error and shows the rest of the system info... 

13 hours ago, crehop said:

Or how bout your code your software better to ignore that and if it hangs on enumerating disks it just displays an "unable to enumerate disk, please check your raid drivers" error and shows the rest of the system info... 

Thats not that easy, on a driver or hardware level when you access various devices you can get unexpected results all of a sudden after a firmware, driver or Windows  update.