AMD Radeon HD 7970 support

omega

Just upgraded to a rather nice shiny new Sapphire 7970, and was wondering how long it usually takes before new hardware sensors are added to a beta release?

I loved being able to have temps / utilisation / core speed etc on my Logi keyboard LCD with my 6950.

We've got our own HD7970 card only yesterday, so that's when we had a chance to start working on it. It seems a lot of things have changed, so we need a couple of days to implement the necessary changes in AIDA64 to support all aspects of the HD7900 Series. I'll drop a message in this topic once a new AIDA64 beta becomes available.

Regards,

Fiery

We've implemented full support for Radeon HD 7900 Series in the following new beta release of AIDA64 Extreme Edition:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild1773d6b3jpkrmfzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works. The only slight issue remains is the memory clock calculation. Unfortunately it will come out wrong in both 2D and 3D mode. We'll work on that. The rest should be accurate ;)

Thanks,

Fiery

Hi, Installed the beta, the GPU temps seem to be functioning fine, as do the fan speeds.

However when running Furmark benchmark, the Core clock seems to jump around erratically (random numbers between 600 - 1300) and the memory clock jumps between 75 & 1600. (Actual values are 1100/1375)

Also, the GPU utilisation doesn't work. It will occasionally change to 100%, but 99% of the time it is displaying 0%.

Scratch that! Bit of an update, just fired up Crysis and Crysis 2, Core clock AND utilisation are being reported correctly :)

Is there a reason why Norton Internet Security 2012 is detecting trojans/viruses in aida_update.dll and aida_diskbench.dll?

It's a false alarm, just ignore it. We're already in contact with Symantec to make sure they won't report any more false alarms about AIDA64 files in the future.

We're currently working on the memory clock issue, so stay tuned for new AIDA64 beta updates ;) And feel free to report any other issues you may find about AIDA64 Beta 1773 and HD7970 in this topic.

Just so it's reported, the memory clock is 1/4 of it's true value in 2D clocks, and 1/2 it's true value at 3D clocks.

(Memory is double data rate, so the actual rate is twice that shown in CCC / Afterburner etc)

If we're talking about those rates, then at 2D clocks, AIDA is reporting half it's value, and 3D clocks AIDA is reporting 2x actual value.

(I re-read this and it's confusing, but I can't explain it any better :D)

Also, any plans to implement the VRAM usage, if it is indeed possible?

So got this working now since I had NIS ignore the two files in question. Would appreciate if you guys could post when Norton confirms they've updated their definitions to no longer flag these files as viruses so I can remove them from the exclusion list.

Now in terms of monitoring, this version is definitely limited compared to what I could read from my Radeon 6950. The main temps I used to use when I had a 6950 were the MemIO, ShaderIO, VRM and Diode/Core temps. Are these going to be added to a later revision of Aida, or are these temperatures just not possible anymore?

Thanks.

Just so it's reported, the memory clock is 1/4 of it's true value in 2D clocks, and 1/2 it's true value at 3D clocks.

(Memory is double data rate, so the actual rate is twice that shown in CCC / Afterburner etc)

If we're talking about those rates, then at 2D clocks, AIDA is reporting half it's value, and 3D clocks AIDA is reporting 2x actual value.

(I re-read this and it's confusing, but I can't explain it any better :D)

Also, any plans to implement the VRAM usage, if it is indeed possible?

On our test card actual memory clock and the clock reported by AIDA64 doesn't have a direct association. E.g. even if we set 1100 MHz, 1200 MHz or 1300 MHz memory clock via Catalyst Control Center, the memory clock reported by AIDA64 is a constant 1775 MHz. We'll work on it, although this part seems a bit trickier than the rest :(

As for VRAM usage, it's still a mystery. It's possible to do it, since GPU-Z can do it, but we have no documentation and no pointers on what ADL calls or registers we need to use.

So got this working now since I had NIS ignore the two files in question. Would appreciate if you guys could post when Norton confirms they've updated their definitions to no longer flag these files as viruses so I can remove them from the exclusion list.

Now in terms of monitoring, this version is definitely limited compared to what I could read from my Radeon 6950. The main temps I used to use when I had a 6950 were the MemIO, ShaderIO, VRM and Diode/Core temps. Are these going to be added to a later revision of Aida, or are these temperatures just not possible anymore?

Thanks.

We've already submitted a form to ask Symantec to whitelist AIDA64 files. We're awaiting their response.

We too have noticed that unlike previous high-end GPUs HD7970 doesn't seem to support 3 diode temperature readouts, but I'm afraid it seems to be a hardware limitation. Even GPU-Z reports only 1 diode temperature for HD7970.

I've just been trying out various memory speeds etc... and discovered that AIDAs "GPU memory clock" isn't related to the memory clock at all.

If you alter the core speed, then the "GPU memory clock" value changes. This leads me to think the sensor you're reading is probably shader related.

Here are a few readings I got,

Actual Core clock --- value that AIDA reports as "GPU memory clock"

1125 --- 2850

1100 --- 2725

1050 --- 2450

1000 --- 2175

975 --- 2050

925 --- 1775

850 --- 1375

There doesn't appear to be a linear sequence here, but it does match the readings you got, as I guess you're running at stock core speed - i.e 925Mhz, which correlates to 1775.

We've fixed the memory clock measurement in the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.co...78fs2kxzgp9tzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works.

This new beta implements GPU video memory usage monitoring as well ;) The measured values are listed on the Display / GPU page, and of course they can also be displayed on the OSD Panel, SensorPanel, Logitech LCD, or logged into file. Please note that GPU video memory usage data is only available under Win7 and Win8 (Windows Developer Preview). We might add Vista support later.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the newest version has a GPU VRM temperature now. I guess there is a diode readout unlike originally suggested?

No, it's not related to the GPU chip itself, but it's the temperature readout provided by the onboard CHiL CHL8228G buck controller chip. That chip also provides GPU VRM Current and GPU VRM Power readout as well.

• 1 month later...

I've got a bug report I guess with aida 2.20.1800 and the Radeon 7970 series.

Aida intermittently stops updating the VRM temperature on my GPUs. If I close and re-launch Aida, it starts to update the VRM temps again.

An annoyance when trying to test temps related to OCing the cards, so wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

I've got a bug report I guess with aida 2.20.1800 and the Radeon 7970 series.

Aida intermittently stops updating the VRM temperature on my GPUs. If I close and re-launch Aida, it starts to update the VRM temps again.

An annoyance when trying to test temps related to OCing the cards, so wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

1) Do other GPU-related readings (e.g. GPU Diode temperature or GPU fan RPM) also freeze when the GPU VRM temperature freezes up?

2) Do you have one or more HD7970 video adapters in your system?

3) Are you running any other video card monitoring, tweaking or overclocking utilities in the background? E.g. GPU-Z, AfterBurner, HWMonitor?

4) Please make sure to update to the latest AIDA64 beta release:

http://www.aida64.co...49h5q0sfmjptzip

Let me know if the latest beta makes any difference.

Hi Fiery, thanks for the quick response.

1) No, seems to only be the VRMs.

2) Yes, I have 2 cards, but I had this issue when I had one card only IIRC.

3) Yes, MSI AB, but that tool does not monitor VRM temps. I use it for OC'ing the cards.

4) Will do and let you know if that resolves things.

Thanks.

Ok, tried the beta and it hasn't resolved the issue.

I did notice though that it only stopped updated the VRM temp on my master GPU, the secondary GPU was still showing updating VRM temps.

Closing and relaunching Aida started to update the VRM temps on the master GPU again.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Can you please create an ATI SMBus Dump after the GPU VRM temperature on the master GPU freezes? And another ATI SMBus Dump after restarting AIDA64 and getting back the GPU VRM temperature again. So we could compare the register output for the CHiL chips for normal state and "frozen" state.

You can create such a dump by right-clicking on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Video Debug --> ATI SMBus Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic.