AMD Radeon HD 7970 support

omega

Thank you. It looks like the I2C bus is still operational on your video cards, but the CHL8228 VRM chip disconnects or disappears from the I2C bus. Since AIDA64 is still capable of reading other I2C devices (e.g. EDID block of the monitor) in that state, we assume this is a hardware flaw or a collision between another software and AIDA64.

If it's possible, please uninstall any software that may read or write any video card related data. If that solves the issue, then it is definitely a collision between that software and AIDA64.

Hi there, I just wanted to add that it seems to still be an issue with Aida64 exclusively.

I formatted my machine for other reasons and I have yet to install much, from a GPU standpoint, it's just the drivers, Aida64 and games; no MSI AB installed as of yet.

I still had the issue where the VRM temps were not being updated unless I closed and re-launched Aida.

Note I am temporarily using only one GPU right now and the issue definitely creeped up with only one GPU.

So, I'm going to have to say that there is something strange with Aida still (trying the latest beta) or could it be drivers?. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

We'll do more test runs, but so far we haven't been able to reproduce the issue :( Maybe it's the actual video card model that matters? I mean ours is the Asus HD7970. Maybe your Gigabyte HD7970 produces the issue, but the Asus HD7970 you and us got is trouble-free? Have you done such tests to see if they both act the same when they are in your system as a standalone video card?

Ya, I originally bought the Asus DCU2T card and I believe the issue occured then as I only got the Gigabyte a week or two after. Note, both my cards are non reference cooling and I believe they both might have non reference VRMs. Could that be why?

I have the Gigabyte Windforce OC Edition and the Asus DCU II Top Edition if that helps any.

Ours is the regular Asus HD7970-3GD5. I guess the cards you have may have different power circuitry and slightly different VRM design and VRM configuration, but they all have the same VRM chip. We'll try to get a different HD7970 card to see if it has the VRM communication issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a bug report I guess with aida 2.20.1800 and the Radeon 7970 series.

Aida intermittently stops updating the VRM temperature on my GPUs. If I close and re-launch Aida, it starts to update the VRM temps again.

An annoyance when trying to test temps related to OCing the cards, so wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Same thing happening here with my Diamond 7970, although GPUVRM only quits reporting when my monitors sleep.

I have two power plans set up for this machine, "Always On" and "Monitors Off" (turns off displays after 1 minute). With the power setting "Always On", there's no problem - not even intermittent. With the power setting "Monitors Off", GPUVRM temp no longer shows after waking monitors. GPUVRM then shows after a restart of AIDA64.

atismbusdump1.txt = running normally

atismbusdump2.txt = after GPUVRM quits reporting

Let me know if I can provide any further info...Thanks!

atismbusdump1.txt

atismbusdump2.txt

We've fixed the reported issue about sensor values stopping to update on Radeon HD 7970 cards after the display powers off. Make sure to upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.co...22gwrm8td6xfzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works ;)