Today I tried Aida and was impressed by its features. I played around a bit with the preferences. However, suddenly the preferences window became inaccessible. When I now click on File -> Preferences, the following happens:
- The Aida window stays as-is, but loses focus
- A new "window" labeled "Preferences" appears in the lower left corner of the screen. This window has no content area. It just consists of the title bar (complete with icon, title, and min/max/close buttons). This window gains focus.
- Aida immediately becomes non-responsive. Clicking on the Preferences "window" or anywhere inside Aida's main window just produces the regular dull sound that windows plays when a command can't be executed.
- Once the Preferences "window" loses focus, it is impossible to pull it into focus again.
- Right-clicking on Aida's tray icon quickly calls up a text-less background of a context menu which immediately vanishes, then it redraws Aida's task bar tab, and brings Aida's main window to the foreground. If it hadn't been in the foreground already (but only then), this window gains focus. However, it is still unresponsive.
- Right-clicking on Aida's task bar tab has similar effects: It selects the tab as active, and brings Aida's main window to the foreground. If this window hadn't been in the foreground already (but only then), it gains focus. However, it is still unresponsive.
- Although I cannot communicate with Aida in any way in this situation, Aida has not crashed or frozen. OSD, sensor display, and log files are still being updated.
- I have found no way to re-enable Aida's windows except killing its process in the task manager and restarting it.
This problem seems to be purely an interface issue. Technically Aida does still work. I can even configure it to my liking by manually editing its ini file. That's slightly cumbersome though ...
I already tried the following (unsuccessfully) to solve the issue:
- deleting Aida's ini file and all other files in its directory that had today's timestamp
- overwriting all files in Aida's program folder with those from the archive I downloaded
- studying the help file and the forums
- deleting all deletable registry keys that had the string "Aida" in them
- reinstalling chipset drivers
Since nothing helped, I'm rather puzzled now - especially because the feature _did_ work at first, and I have no idea what might have happened to break it. I would uninstall Aida if I could, but there's no uninstaller provided. How can I make Aida operational again?
CPU: Intel i5 2500K
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
Graphics Card: Gainward GF GTX 560 Phantom
OS: Windows XP Professional SP3 32bit (fresh install)
Latest drivers throughout
Aida version 1.85.1600