Crash running CPU CheckMate

On my slightly overclocked i9-14900K system, the CPU CheckMate BM causes a crash. If I revert to the vanilla settings it's OK. This is interesting because the system passes every other test I've run, including an extended Prime95 torture test.

Other info: MB is Asus ProArt Z790-Creator WiFi, memory is 2x Corsair DDR5 CMK32GX5M2B6400C32 (4 16GB sticks), running at XMP II (6400 and 1.4V).

OC was the automatically generated one from Intel XTU. (Also fails a custom one that is the same except sets -.015V offset on SVID.)

I'm offering this as an interesting data point. I don't expect any debugging. But, if anyone has any insights I'd be glad to read them.

It's considered gauche to reply to one's own post, but I've been experimenting a bit and I have some more info.

So far, it seems that any Intel XTU tweaks will cause a hard system crash when running CheckMate. This is a hard poweroff/reboot sequence, like something in the processor crashed hard. Whether this is caused by my running the CPU on the Asus BIOS before the ucode updates, thus damaging the CPU (some tests caused >105C on the CPU temps), or if it's a characteristic of the i9-14900 series, I have no idea (nor any way to experiment, other than by buying another CPU). I have a good cooling system using metallic "paste" and a lapped base plate on the water block, so I've really been trying to get this stable. CheckMate kills it, every time. And, the CPU passes Intel's diagnostic every time. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...