GPU external fan RPM readout (Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090)

VeilSide

I wonder if there is a way to get fan speed reading which is connected to external GPU 4pin PWM header.

I have ROG STRIX RTX 3090 which has this feature of connecting 2 case fans directly to GPU instead of MB headers.

Sadly, the only way of making them fans functional is you have to run ASUS proprietary app which is a mess on it's own.

On 12/25/2022 at 3:43 PM, VeilSide said:

I wonder if there is a way to get fan speed reading which is connected to external GPU 4pin PWM header.

I have ROG STRIX RTX 3090 which has this feature of connecting 2 case fans directly to GPU instead of MB headers.

Sadly, the only way of making them fans functional is you have to run ASUS proprietary app which is a mess on it's own.

Please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Video Debug --> nVIDIA GPU Registers. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post. You may need to enable status bar in AIDA64 / main menu / View first.

Also right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Video Debug --> nVIDIA SMBus Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post..

Thanks,
Fiery

• Fiery changed the title to GPU external fan RPM readout (Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090)
On 12/26/2022 at 7:45 PM, Fiery said:

Please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Video Debug --> nVIDIA GPU Registers. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post. You may need to enable status bar in AIDA64 / main menu / View first.

Also right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Video Debug --> nVIDIA SMBus Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post..

Thanks,
Fiery

Any updates regarding this issue, thanks?

On 12/29/2022 at 12:47 AM, VeilSide said:

Any updates regarding this issue, thanks?

Thank you for the dumps!  Was the external fan spinning when you've made those dumps?  If it was stopped, can you please repeat those dumps when the fan is spinning?

That's sad. Was hoping to add this external fan speed into my sensor panel :(
Just wondering how are them fans only visible in their app. If I connect the fans without installing GPU Tweak III, they simply won't work. So basically need their buggy app just to run external fans which is ridiculous :angry: