i7-11700 CPU throttle immediately when stress test starts

Alv

Hi all,

I have three computers with the same configuration on the i7-11700 processor and every time I start the AIDA stress test all three processors throttle. Immediately upon launch, the temperature soars to almost 100°C, and the power doubles compared to the nominal (I guess this is what causes throttling). The only way to pass the test is to disable CPU Turbo mode in the BIOS. In this case, the power remains nominal and the temperature is kept at about 70°C.

My question is, is this normal stress testing behavior for this processor, or do I need to do some extra tweaking to get it to work properly?

scrn02.jpgscrn03.jpgscrn04.jpg

On 1/25/2023 at 2:33 PM, Alv said:

Hi all,

I have three computers with the same configuration on the i7-11700 processor and every time I start the AIDA stress test all three processors throttle. Immediately upon launch, the temperature soars to almost 100°C, and the power doubles compared to the nominal (I guess this is what causes throttling). The only way to pass the test is to disable CPU Turbo mode in the BIOS. In this case, the power remains nominal and the temperature is kept at about 70°C.

My question is, is this normal stress testing behavior for this processor, or do I need to do some extra tweaking to get it to work properly?

Yes, it's normal unless you install a very powerful cooler for your processor.  It doesn't mean your CPU fails the test, it simply means it works but with limited performance.  Please also note that the FPU subtest of the AIDA64 System Stability Test basically creates the worst case scenario for processors by using a very demanding workload that requires a huge amount of power.  The immense power draw will turn into immense heat dissipation and that is something that can only a very powerful cooler can drive away from the processor.