Random PC freezes when AIDA64 Extreme is running while browsing or PC gaming (RX6900 XT)

Luckyluke

Hello AIDA64 community,

Would like some assistance please. So, I have just purchased AIDA64 extreme with its latest version. I created my own sensor panel and would always turn this sensor panel on automatically whenever my PC is switched on.

All of the PC's hardware are already updated in terms of their drivers and chipsets. This include the GPU and the motherboard. Windows 11 is updated. Here are the specs :

Motherboard : AMD ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

CPU : AMD Ryzen R9 5900 

GPU : AMD ASUS ROG RX6900 XT

RAM : 32 GB

So, after around 1 hour of PC gaming or browsing, my PC would freeze. Display does not update and the only way I could get out from this situation is by hard resetting the PC. Then, after the PC restarted, I observed the sensor panel and noticed the GPU parameters are blanked out. I am also unable to view the GPU driver, AMD Adrenalin, anymore. So, I would need to uninstall and reinstall the AMD Adrenalin. This process is repeated each time the same situation happened.

Then, I set the Stability settings of AIDA64 to deactivate GPU sensors. The stability has improved, but it still froze at a later time. Realizing that there was an improvement, I decided to completely uninstall AIDA64. Ever since the program is uninstalled, there has not been a single PC freezing or crashing anymore.

I find this so weird. Does anyone else here share the same experience? How did you overcome this issue? I still need AIDA64 because the sub is already in effect.

Please do advise. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2023 at 11:43 AM, Luckyluke said:

Hello AIDA64 community,

Would like some assistance please. So, I have just purchased AIDA64 extreme with its latest version. I created my own sensor panel and would always turn this sensor panel on automatically whenever my PC is switched on.

All of the PC's hardware are already updated in terms of their drivers and chipsets. This include the GPU and the motherboard. Windows 11 is updated. Here are the specs :

Motherboard : AMD ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

CPU : AMD Ryzen R9 5900 

GPU : AMD ASUS ROG RX6900 XT

RAM : 32 GB

So, after around 1 hour of PC gaming or browsing, my PC would freeze. Display does not update and the only way I could get out from this situation is by hard resetting the PC. Then, after the PC restarted, I observed the sensor panel and noticed the GPU parameters are blanked out. I am also unable to view the GPU driver, AMD Adrenalin, anymore. So, I would need to uninstall and reinstall the AMD Adrenalin. This process is repeated each time the same situation happened.

Then, I set the Stability settings of AIDA64 to deactivate GPU sensors. The stability has improved, but it still froze at a later time. Realizing that there was an improvement, I decided to completely uninstall AIDA64. Ever since the program is uninstalled, there has not been a single PC freezing or crashing anymore.

I find this so weird. Does anyone else here share the same experience? How did you overcome this issue? I still need AIDA64 because the sub is already in effect.

Please do advise. Thank you.

Can you please check the memory consumption of AIDA64.EXE process when you first start it, and after around 15 minutes and then around 30 minutes of gaming?  I'm wondering if this is due to a memory leak caused by improper communication between the AMD video driver hardware monitoring layer and AIDA64.

• Fiery changed the title to Random PC freezes when AIDA64 Extreme is running while browsing or PC gaming (RX6900 XT)
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 4:34 PM, Luckyluke said:

Hi all,

Any advice please? Thank you. =)

I responded to your post in general forums before I'd realized it was moved here.  I've had the same issue.

5900x

6900XT Liquid Devil

Gigabyte Aorus x570 Xtreme

32gb DDR4

Last year I tried to do a sensor panel in my PC, and had the same issue with random lockups.  These would require a hard reset, and often (but not always) would require re-installing GPU drivers from scratch.  For a while I thought my GPU might've been bad, as I had installed it and the sensor panel screen at the same time.  But once I disconnected the lcd panel and turned off Sensor Panel in Aida64, the issue stopped entirely.

Recently, after reading your post, I did a little more research, and found another person in these forums with the same issue.  They claimed that if you turned off "vram usage" in Sensor Panel, it fixed the problem.  

So I started tinkering with Sensor Panel this morning, had the default panel on my main screen as I started to work on it, and 20 minutes later, my system locked up.  I did not have "vram usage" up on the panel.  I had to hard reset, and download and install new drivers, as Windows reported that my display driver failed to load and I was locked at 640x480.

I'm going to wash my hands of the whole sensor panel project.  Aidda64 runs fine for me otherwise, it's only when Sensor Panel is on.  I've wasted way too much time and frustration on it at this point for what little return it gives me.  Good luck on your panel, and do let me know if you figure it out.

On 12/11/2023 at 5:10 AM, Fiery said:

Can you please check the memory consumption of AIDA64.EXE process when you first start it, and after around 15 minutes and then around 30 minutes of gaming?  I'm wondering if this is due to a memory leak caused by improper communication between the AMD video driver hardware monitoring layer and AIDA64.

OK, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.  I disconnected my small lcd panel, but decided to give Sensor Panel one more try.  I got it all set up the way I wanted, keeping an eye on the memory usage the whole time.  While I was working on the panel setup, it started out around 80mb, and eventually climbed to around 110mb.  Then I setup the panel on my secondary monitor, and set to gaming.

One hour of GTA V, ultra settings, 120fps frame limit, no freezing/lockup.  Followed that with an hour of Starfield, also all ultra, no frame cap, still no problems.  Also, the memory usage while gaming dropped to around 10-11mb.  I'll keep the Sensor Panel up for the indefinite future, to see if it's going to try to freeze on me at any point.  So far, the only common factor in all of my lockup situations is the existence of a small lcd monitor meant to operate as my sensor panel, which makes little sense.  It's something I can live with if it continues to work on my secondary 24" monitor, because I don't need it while gaming.

15 hours ago, de_Carabas said:

OK, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.  I disconnected my small lcd panel, but decided to give Sensor Panel one more try.  I got it all set up the way I wanted, keeping an eye on the memory usage the whole time.  While I was working on the panel setup, it started out around 80mb, and eventually climbed to around 110mb.  Then I setup the panel on my secondary monitor, and set to gaming.

One hour of GTA V, ultra settings, 120fps frame limit, no freezing/lockup.  Followed that with an hour of Starfield, also all ultra, no frame cap, still no problems.  Also, the memory usage while gaming dropped to around 10-11mb.  I'll keep the Sensor Panel up for the indefinite future, to see if it's going to try to freeze on me at any point.  So far, the only common factor in all of my lockup situations is the existence of a small lcd monitor meant to operate as my sensor panel, which makes little sense.  It's something I can live with if it continues to work on my secondary 24" monitor, because I don't need it while gaming.

Thank you for your feedback.  What is the model of your LCD panel?