AIDA64 System Stability Test stops working after a few seconds

eldrin

On one of my machines, if I include 'Stress system memory' in the System Stability Test, it runs for a few seconds and then activity just dies out on its own. The test simply stops stressing my CPU and memory, etc. and just goes into a dormant state. See attached screenshot.

Everything else seems fine with the system. I can run other tests like Memtest86+ and Prime95 for hours without issue.

post-27469-0-49714500-1406195347_thumb.png

A further update: it seems to make a difference whether I have one DIMM installed or two.

The system originally came with just one 4GB DIMM. I've done the only upgrade possible on this system: added a second 4GB DIMM to take the total RAM to 8GB.

After upgrading to 8GB, I had run Memtest86+ for 11 hours, and Prime95, and no errors were reported. Also, Windows has not crashed or seemed unstable.

However, I've now done some further testing with Prime95, running the Blend test. Sometimes, after a few hours, it'll encounter this: "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4". Checking the Windows system log in Event Viewer, at around the same time I see an error "Windows removed bad memory regions from this PC". It's weird that it only happens sometimes, and only after several hours of Prime95 testing have passed.

So perhaps AIDA64's System Stability Test is encountering a similar problem when 2 DIMMs are installed in this system, but it's doing so much more quickly. If so, surely it would be more helpful if there was an error message of some kind, instead of just stopping silently and then not doing anything?

Th

So perhaps AIDA64's System Stability Test is encountering a similar problem when 2 DIMMs are installed in this system, but it's doing so much more quickly. If so, surely it would be more helpful if there was an error message of some kind, instead of just stopping silently and then not doing anything?

Please note that what you're experiencing is not what should happen -- it's not by design :) AIDA64 System Stability Test has got a lot checkpoints in it, and when it finds any unusual or unexpected results, it should report it and stop the test by changing the System Stability Test window to red colour (indicating an error). What you're experiencing however looks more like if the Stability Test background process was crashed, before it could detect the issue. In many cases a BSoD, system lockup or unexpected system restart (reset) comes before the stress testing process could find an error.

sst2.png

• 2 weeks later...

We've performed many test runs, and were able to reproduce the issue on our own test systems. As it seems, the stress testing module doesn't always report about a revealed hardware flaw to the main AIDA64 application before stopping the stress test. In such case the System Stability Test session keeps going, but the CPU utilization graph drops to 0%. We're already working on the fix, but it will take a week to properly implement and evaluate the fix before we can roll it out in a new AIDA64 beta update. I'll post a message into this topic once the fixed AIDA64 update is available for download.

Thanks for the update. Will it also report details about what exactly is the hardware flaw?

Today I've swapped that second 4GB SODIMM with a different one that I ordered. However, the same thing happens with it unfortunately.

Previously I was using a "low density" Crucial SODIMM (with 16 chips on the memory module), but I read that some systems work better with high density memory. So the one I installed today was the high density version, also from Crucial, which uses 8 chips on the memory module. I was hopeful this would work since the 4GB SODIMM that came with the computer also uses 8 chips.

I wonder if it could be some problem with the memory controller itself. Maybe it doesn't work properly in dual channel mode. Or maybe the system needs two identically branded SODIMMs installed, although the specs of the current ones (Crucial and SK Hynix) are exact matches.