6. 4 x 4gb chips Corsair Vengeance DDR3-2133 PC3-17000
7. XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB DDR5 PCI-E 3.0 x 16 Video Card
8. Intel 330 Series 2.5" 180GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State
9. Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" 
10. Seagate Barracuda EP 3TB 7,200RPM SATA 6.0Gbps 3.5 
11. LG 24x SATA Internal Desktop DVD Burner GH24NS72
12. Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional

Problem:

I used to have a Diamond Radeon 7850 in my system. Originally when I built the system AIDA64 was locking up my system while monitoring the video card hardware. After I flashed the BIOS on my motherboard since it was still stock, the problem stopped occurring.

I just replaced my video card again with the XFX Radeon R9 290, and it appears having low level PCI operations enabled in AIDA64 is freezing my system when it's idle. I tried flashing my BIOS on my motherboard, I've updated the chipset drivers, uninstalled and completely removed all traces of the ATI drivers and reinstalled and it's still an issue. When I disable the low level PCI operations option in AIDA64, my system is stable while idle, I've tested this for a few days. Once I turn that option back on, my system will freeze after 20 minutes to 1 hour of being idle. Unfortunately AIDA64 doesn't have any useful sensor information other than CPU usage and memory consumption with that option disabled from what I see. I'm hoping you have a solution for this?

• 3 weeks later...

I know the software for my motherboard monitors some stuff like temps and utilization, but that wasn't causing any problems before I upgraded my video card, and I don't believe it does anything with the GPU.

Everything works fine when I'm using the system normally, but when the GPU "powers down" from being idle, that's when my system locks up. AIDA will stop reporting GPU and clock speeds on my card (which was normal for my last card) then eventually freezes my system. I've been turning off the PCI info when I'm not going to be using my machine for a bit, then turning it back on while gaming or whatever else. Seems to be fine when I do that, kind of annoying, but it's stable doing that.

I know the software for my motherboard monitors some stuff like temps and utilization, but that wasn't causing any problems before I upgraded my video card, and I don't believe it does anything with the GPU.

Note that recent AMD GPUs use a different register access mechanism than previous generation GPUs, so as long as the other software does poll your GPU, a collision may just occur, and it would be different than how it worked on the previous HD7850 card you used to have.

I'll see if I can get rid of the Intel software. I think I tried once and I couldn't remove it because it's tied to the chipset drivers. Is it possible that the AMD Catalyst Control Center software cause a problem?

I'll try removing the Intel stuff and report back after a week, I have managed a few days of stability with the low level PCI stuff enabled, but eventually I get the freezes.

• 1 month later...

I'm afraid we don't have an idea about what could cause the issues on your system. We've done quite a few test runs on our R9 290X card trying to reproduce the lockup, but it worked flawlessly. It may be a combination of Windows version, Catalyst version and other factors. Are you using Win8.1 64-bit? What version of Catalyst do you have installed? Maybe if we use the exact same Windows version + kernel type and the same Catalyst release, we can reproduce the issue on our test hardware.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, it was a problem with the AMD drivers. They just released an update this week, and the problem seems to have stopped. It also fixed another problem where if windows turned off my monitors due to inactivity it would stop reporting stuff like clock, memory, utilization etc. So I would consider this one fixed with the update from AMD.

It also fixed another problem where if windows turned off my monitors due to inactivity it would stop reporting stuff like clock, memory, utilization etc.

Thank you for the feedback. Please note that the quoted pecularity was actually a feature called ZeroCore Power, not a bug :) Probably AMD disabled it on your card with the latest Catalyst update to avoid various issues.