HDD failure predicted based on SMART diagnostic

Sharkys

Hi,

I'm repeteadly receiving error "HDD failure predicted based on SMART diagnostic" (not exact translation) on HDD - ST1000DM ST1000DM003-1CH1 SCSI Disk Device (1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-III)  - occcuring on two systems with the same HDD.

Can anything be done with that ? It's aparently false alert, eg. other applications are showing no issues on SMART data.

model ID  ST1000DM003-1CH162       S/N S1DGFGMX       Revision CC49       World Wide Name   5-000C50-06D285E02        

Network audit / AIDA 5.00.3000

It seems different SMART monitoring software consider the severity of the End-to-End Error issue differently. For us any limits being exceeded is a serious issue and so the HDD should be immediately backed up and replaced. Other software may treat such issues more lightly, but for us (and our stance is being reflected in the logic AIDA64 operates) data integrity and safety is very important, so we treat any reported problems at the highest degree. Of course, SMART is not an interface that could predict what's gonna happen with 100% certainty. We own such HDDs where the SMART layer reported some degree of predicted failure years ago, and they are still going on to this day. But, we don't store anything important on such drives, and you should neither. We've seen a few occasions already where SMART started to report an issue, the owner of the HDD didn't care much for it, and then the HDD died slowly or rather quickly and he lost some or most of his data. I don't think it's worth the gamble, but it's your call ;)

Well, @Fiery, thank you for detailed post, but this is naturally something I know already. :mellow:

What is odd, two same hardrives (same model, different revisions) are reporting the exact same problem. Is it a coincident ? I don't think so. Both are operating normally for longer period of time already, just I lost patience with repeating alarms.

Anyway, I would be fine with "false positives" via the network audit function, but I don't have a way to turn them off for those particular machines. I can start filtering those emails, but this isn't an option, right ?

Is there anything then you would suggest (on AIDA64 level) ?

• 1 month later...

Is there anything then you would suggest (on AIDA64 level) ?

I'm afraid AIDA64 doesn't offer an exclusion list to let you "whitelist" those drives with issues about SMART reporting. I still believe your drives (or something related to your drives) have an issue. It could be a common issue that plagues all systems that have such a drive in your enterprise, like a similar PC configurations with similar compatibility or hardware issue. The author of HD Sentinel stated this on a similar issue about End-to-End Error:

http://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1829

Based on what he said -- and let's face it, he's an expert about these things -- I'd say in your case there could be an issue about SATA cable, SATA controller, SATA controller driver, or perhaps a one-time failure that somehow happened to all your ST1000DM003 drives. If I were you, I'd try to get to the bottom of this, because it's really not the best practice to ignore SMART errors, no matter how serious they are. Gambling with user data is a big no-no in my book ;)