Gadget Temp Sensors Malfunctioning

Barry

Hi,

Small problem with AIDA64 Gadget on Windows 6.1 SP1 (Build #7601) x64 displaying the temperature of my Western Digital 1.5Tb SATA drive.

I've attached 3 screen shots to illustrate the problem. What I have labelled Drive I: in the leftmost screen shot is the drive in question. Middle screen shot shows all drives are detected. After a few minutes Drive I: disappears from the gadget display. Interestingly, the OSD display functions 100% i.e my Western Digital drive doesn't go off into the wild blue yonder.

I've also attached two dump files just in case they might assist.

I hope something can be figured out. :)

Regards,

Barry

post-463-095960700 1301578549_thumb.jpg

post-463-072611400 1301578562_thumb.jpg

post-463-003533200 1301578573_thumb.jpg

diskctrldump.txt

smartdump.txt

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, please upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild1351rx6vnfkj1czip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Then please issue a SMART Dump right after starting AIDA64 and having the readings properly displayed on the Sidebar Gadget. Name the dump file SMART1.TXT.

Then wait until the temperature line for Drive I: disappears from the Sidebar Gadget, and create a new SMART Dump. Name the dump file SMART2.TXT.

Thank you for your time and help.

Regards,

Fiery

Thank you for the test. It seems your Drive I: drive stops being able to provide SMART attribute values readout after a while. HDD/SSD temperature is measured via SMART attributes, so that makes the temperature readout to become erratic after a while. I'm not sure why is that though. It could be because of a firmware or hardware issue in the HDD itself, or could be due to a SATA controller malfunction, or even a SATA controller driver bug.

Please let us know which drive is connected to which SATA (or RAID) controller exactly, what mode are the controllers in (IDE, AHCI or RAID), and whether there're any RAID arrays defined. If there're any RAID arrays, then explain which drives are assigned to which RAID array.

Hello again,

I have two SATA drives (the Western Digital being the newest) in AHCI mode. There's no problems detecting temperatures on the Seagate SATA even when it goes into power saving mode.

I have attached 3 reports, two of which are S.M.A.R.T. status reports, hopefully providing enough information.

Regards,

Barry

WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1 (SN WD-WCAVU0499212) - REPORT.txt

ST3500418AS (SN 5VM2JJ9N) - REPORT.txt

diskctrldump.txt