"PCI data acquisition and signal processing controller" issue (ASRock Z97 Killer)

Keizer

I just installed AIDA 64 on a fresh install of win 7 64. I have an Asrock z97 killer mobo. I noticed right away that device manager shows "PCI data acquisition and signal processing controller" with an exclamation point. Why is that? If I restore an image I created right before installing AIDA 64, the notice in device manager is gone. I also noticed that only two of my three chassis fan RPM readings are displaying in the software. Is AIDA 64 not fully compatibles with my mobo? It also shows that my MSI r9 390 graphics card fans are turning 1200+ rpm. When in fact the fans on this card don't turn at all until it reaches a certain temperature. I feel like I can't trust anything this software is telling me.

1) The device is most likely the Thermal Controller of the Z97 PCH. On some systems the BIOS hides that device, but AIDA64 will re-enable it in order to provide PCH Diode temperature readout.

2) Several ASRock motherboards use a poorly implemented fan muxing mechanism that is unsupported by AIDA64. On your particular motherboard that effectively means that only one of the CPU fan headers can be monitored by AIDA64. However, the rest of the fan headers should be available on the Sensor page of AIDA64, albeit they may be labelled differently, like System fan or Aux fan. If they're not there, then please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> ISA Sensor Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

3) The video card fan issue is most likely because even after the fan is stopped, your GPU still reports the last fan RPM for whatever reason. It could be a VBIOS issue or a GPU pecularity. We can check what's going on, but in order to do that, we would need to see how the GPU registers look like when the fan is not spinning, and also when it is spinning. So if it's possible, please issue an ATI GPU Registers dump for both states, by right-clicking on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Video Debug --> ATI GPU Registers. Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Fiery

Thanks for the reply!  Is there a way to eliminate the entry in device manager?

Not sure why but I'm not able to paste anything in this reply so I'm including the debug info in a text document. I have three chassis fans and chassis fan #2 is not showing up in AIDA 64. All three chassis fans show up in the bios.

isasensordump.txt

atigpureg.txt

Device Manager: You can try re-installing Intel chipset software package, it may help. But, if the device is still there, you don't have to worry about it. It doesn't bring any useful functions to Windows, but it also doesn't require a driver to be installed.

Chassis fans: Thank you for the data. Please note that the 3rd chassis fan is already there on the Computer / Sensor page of AIDA64, it's just called Power Supply fan. We will fix the labelling issue in the next AIDA64 beta update.

Video card fan: Thank you for the data, but we need 2 different dumps, one for the fan spinning state, and another for the fan stopped state. So we could compare the registers output to see where the catch is.

Thank you for your time.

Thank you for the dumps. As I've suspected, it is a GPU pecularity. Your GPU reports a valid, non-zero fan RPM measurement even when the fan is driven at 0% duty cycle, so when it's basically instructed to stop. We'll implement a workaround to show 0 RPM when the duty cycle is 0%. It will be included in the next AIDA64 beta update due in a few days from now.

1) The device is most likely the Thermal Controller of the Z97 PCH. On some systems the BIOS hides that device, but AIDA64 will re-enable it in order to provide PCH Diode temperature readout.

You are correct.  I ended up grabbing the latest INF drivers from the Asrock website and installed them.  The "PCI data acquisition and signal processing controller" entry is now gone, and I noticed I have a new item under "system devices" in device manager that I show in my screenshot.

post-33445-0-92498200-1447879561_thumb.png

The mentioned new AIDA64 beta -- including the GPU fan issue fix -- is available for download at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

Perfect!  All is well now.  I did have a question though.  I used the zip file and just unzipped everything into my AIDA64 folder and just replaced the files as it asked me.  When I was done, my shortcut always asked me if I wanted to run the exe each time.  Is that normal?  I finally just took the check mark out of "ask me each time."

Perfect!  All is well now.

Thank you for the feedback, I'm glad it works fine now.

I did have a question though.  I used the zip file and just unzipped everything into my AIDA64 folder and just replaced the files as it asked me.  When I was done, my shortcut always asked me if I wanted to run the exe each time.  Is that normal?  I finally just took the check mark out of "ask me each time."

You can avoid that by right-clicking on the AIDA64.EXE file in File Explorer --> Properties --> Unblock (put the tick in the checkbox) --> OK. Example:

unblock-checkbox-on-windows-10-manager-p

I know what popup you meant. I was talking about a different window, the one that is the Properties box of the AIDA64.EXE file that you can access in File Explorer after right-clicking on AIDA64.EXE. You don't have to start AIDA64 to access that window.

I know what popup you meant. I was talking about a different window, the one that is the Properties box of the AIDA64.EXE file that you can access in File Explorer after right-clicking on AIDA64.EXE. You don't have to start AIDA64 to access that window.

I'm running windows 7.  I don't have the check box you show in your screenshot. 

post-33445-0-17510700-1448332783_thumb.png