2 memory sticks fail, 1 stick no fail

I am getting a red screen failed test report when using 2 memory sticks.  However when I use one stick I do not get the failed test.  I have run the windows memory check as well as prime95 and get no fails/errors.  Is there really something wrong or is it artificial?

Thanks. 

No, it's definitely not artifical :) Are you using the 2 memory sticks in the same memory channel? Note that the more DIMMs you use in a memory channel, the less stable your memory controller will work at. Usually it's not a problem, but when you overclock your system or use agressive memory timing configuration, the system can get unstable if you use more than 1 memory module in a memory channel. Also, not all memory modules are designed to work stable when they are not the only memory module in a memory channel.

Its a new build.  I haven't touched the settings.  Everything is set to auto.  I haven't overclocked anything, its all stock.  The sticks are from my last build I did in 2011, which was a i5 Sandy Bridge 3.3ghz quad.  And this one is a 8 core AMD FX 4.0ghz.  Motherboards are different.  The new one is a Gigabyte 970A-UD3P.

I was having an issue with this new system just randomly rebooting and I noticed I had the memory in slots 2&4.  So I moved the one from 4 to 1.  Now they are in 1&2.  I haven't had a reboot in 2 days.  System seems ok, but like I said the when both sticks are installed Aida64 fails the memory test.  If one is installed its ok.

On a side note...How long am I supposed to let the tests go on for?  Will they automatically stop? 

Make sure to check if the memory modules are running at the desired frequency, and are supplied with the right voltage for the requested frequency. FX processors can drive DDR3 modules at up to 1866 MHz, while Sandy Bridge was only DDR3-1333 capable (without overclocking, of course). Maybe your RAM was running at 1333 MHz in your old system, but now it's running at 1600 or 1866 MHz, and that makes a difference. Especially if it doesn't get the necessary level of voltage from the memory controller.

How long: we generally recommend 12 to 24 hours. No, it won't stop automatically. If you don't stop it, and there's no error detected, then it will run forever ;)

Everything looks to be ok.  The sticks are 1333.  The bios has them listed/running at 1334.  Not sure that makes a big enough difference for a failure or not.  Of coarse these are the auto settings the mb picked.  I didn't change them.  Volts are 1.5v.  Which is what the chips say they are to run at. 

Okay, just wanted to check ;) There may still be a compatibility issue between your motherboard and the memory modules. For example, we've got a pair of HyperX DDR4-2133 modules that an ASRock Z170 chipset based motherboard cannot work stable with, but the same modules work with a similar motherboard with the same chipset (Z170) made by Gigabyte.