MSI Z97 GAMING 5 - Missing CPU and Motherboard sensor

LuckMan

As the title suggests, I'm using MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard. My CPU is i5 4690k.

I've used RealTemp, HWiNFO, HW CPUID, and Intel XTU to monitor the temperature of my CPU and a bunch of other stuff like voltages and fan speed, and they're working just fine. But when I tried using Aida64 Extreme (version 5.60.3700, when I post this, this is the latest version), my CPU and motherboard sensor is just not there, nothing. The GPU is there, the HDD is there, but not the two that I've mentioned above. And of course, the problem doesn't end there. In the System Stability Test's Preferences, I can't see the CPU voltages graph, temps, etc.

Is there some kind of setting that I missed? Or maybe it doesn't support my motherboard?

I hope somebody here can tell me what the problem is, cause I'm planning to run a stability test using Aida64.

I've included some screenshots.

post-34370-0-21515400-1453866533_thumb.png

post-34370-0-21765200-1453866972_thumb.png

It seems AIDA64 cannot use its kernel driver to detect low-level system properties like motherboard/CPU temperatures, voltages, fan speeds. Make sure to let AIDA64 use its kernel driver by providing administrator privileges. If there's an UAC prompt, make sure to let it elevate user privileges.

It seems AIDA64 cannot use its kernel driver to detect low-level system properties like motherboard/CPU temperatures, voltages, fan speeds. Make sure to let AIDA64 use its kernel driver by providing administrator privileges. If there's an UAC prompt, make sure to let it elevate user privileges.

I've tried running it with administrator's privileges, it didn't work. The problems persisted.

Also, I don't use UAC, I turn it off.

I've tried running it with administrator's privileges, it didn't work. The problems persisted.

Also, I don't use UAC, I turn it off.

Try to reinstall AIDA64 (latest beta would be best, link below), and make sure to have the KERNELD.X64 file in the AIDA64 installation folder (for 64-bit Windows).

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

If all of that don't help, let me know what security (anti-malware / anti-virus / firewall) software do you have installed. It may prevent AIDA64 from loading its kernel driver.

Try to reinstall AIDA64 (latest beta would be best, link below), and make sure to have the KERNELD.X64 file in the AIDA64 installation folder (for 64-bit Windows).

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

If all of that don't help, let me know what security (anti-malware / anti-virus / firewall) software do you have installed. It may prevent AIDA64 from loading its kernel driver.

I tried it. The re-installation and beta didn't work. The kernel file is in the installation folder.

But I found the solution to my problem. Actually, I don't really know how it works, but somehow it's got something to do with the Windows Update service.

I don't like using auto-update and I also don't really need to update my Windows, so I disable it all the time. And then, just now, I turn the service on, and now it works perfectly.

This is weird, though. Because, it seems the service's process itself doesn't need to be started, it just needs to be enabled.

What do you think about this?

I tried it. The re-installation and beta didn't work. The kernel file is in the installation folder.

But I found the solution to my problem. Actually, I don't really know how it works, but somehow it's got something to do with the Windows Update service.

I don't like using auto-update and I also don't really need to update my Windows, so I disable it all the time. And then, just now, I turn the service on, and now it works perfectly.

This is weird, though. Because, it seems the service's process itself doesn't need to be started, it just needs to be enabled.

What do you think about this?

There could be a connection between AIDA64 kernel driver and the Windows Update service. What AIDA64 does, but only under Windows 7 64-bit, is that it checks for the list of installed hotfixes, and when KB3033929 (SHA-2 security patch) is not installed, it will load its legacy 64-bit kernel driver (KERNELD.V64).

Can you please check what happens if you again disable Windows Update?

Do you have KB3033929 applied?

Do you have KERNELD.V64 file in your AIDA64 installation folder?

Wait, I take that back. Apparently, when I start AIDA64, my windows update service get started.

I don't know why, but AIDA64 is forcing the service to start.

Is this a known feature of Aida64 or something?

When I disable my Windows Update, the problem come right back up.

Yes, I have the KB3033929 applied. And yes, I have KERNELD.V64 file in my AIDA64 installation folder.

So, the solution is to keep my Windows Update enabled?

I'd prefer another way, honestly, but well, if there are any.