Does SST change behavior when screen goes to sleep? (Quadro K5100M)

delerious

I've been running the AIDA64 System Stability Test (all tests checked) for a couple hours now.  My Windows 10 is configured to put the screen to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity.  I have openhardwaremonitor open to show me the CPU and GPU temperatures.  I have noticed that while the screen is not sleeping, the GPU temp stays around 65-67 C.  But if I leave the computer for a while and then come back and wake up the screen, I see that the GPU temperature has gone up to around 74 C the whole time the screen was sleeping.  Then it immediately goes back down to 65-67 C while the screen is not sleeping.  If I leave the computer again, it will go back up to 74 C while the screen is asleep.  Does Aida64 do different testing depending on whether or not the screen is asleep?

No, AIDA64 doesn't behave differently in different power management states. It executes the same stress testing code no matter the screen is powered or sleeping. Radeon video cards however work differently in those states, so it must be due to a video driver (Catalyst) pecularity.

Regards,
Fiery

On ‎2017‎. ‎01‎. ‎09‎. at 9:39 PM, delerious said:

My GPU is a Nvidia K5100M.

Maybe ForceWare uses similar power-saving tricks when the monitor is offline. I don't know, we haven't got any technical details on that yet.

If it's a power saving trick, the GPU temperature should decrease rather than increase, no?  Anyway, I stopped the test after 4 hours and no errors or crashes.  I saw in another thread you told someone that 4 hours should be enough to say that your system is stable under heavy load.  So hopefully I can say that even with this peculiarity.

2 hours ago, delerious said:

If it's a power saving trick, the GPU temperature should decrease rather than increase, no?

It depends on how the video driver handles that situation.  Maybe it doesn't throttle the GPU itself, but stops the video card fan (or throttles it down) to make the system work quieter.