Stability Test Suggestion Dialog (TdrDelay)

IgelRM

Hello,

I started the stability test today and got a dialog, which asked me if I would want to change a setting related to my video driver, which would help with stability, if I recall correctly. It also said it would required a restart. I copied the dialog via control-c and clicked no because I was unsure what the setting does and if it could cause other issues but as soon as I clicked the button my video output vanished (blackscreen) and needed to hard reset.

I had the same blackscreen issue earlier while rendering a long video, which is likely related to my overclock (Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz) but could also be related to that setting the dialog mentioned. Because I needed to hard reset, I couldn't paste the content of the dialog somewhere and don't remember much of it, something about timing that should be changed?

I would like to know if there is a list of these suggestion dialogues, I would recognize it if I could read it again.

Thanks

Only one such dialogue (warning message) is popped up in the AIDA64 System Stability Test.  It is about fixing the video driver timeout detection and recovery delay value, also known as TdrDelay.

The warning message says:

The Windows video driver Timeout Detection and Recovery delay (TdrDelay) value is configured too low. It may cause the video driver to be reset while running the AIDA64 System Stability Test.

Do you want AIDA64 to fix this issue for you now?

Please note that you need to restart Windows after altering the TdrDelay value.

The TdrDelay Registry entry that AIDA64 checks can be found and can also be manually updated/altered using the Registry Editor:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers

Please note that the TdrDelay value only has an effect on the AIDA64 System Stability Test when the GPU stress testing is enabled.  A too short delay will cause Windows to recover (restart) the video driver during the OpenCL based GPU stress testing session.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your detailed response. Sorry for the late answer, I thought I had it set to notify me when somebody replies, but I didn't.

The graphics driver reset would only last a few seconds and would not lead to a permanent blackscreen, right? My blackscreen issue is might be due to temperature (or maybe voltage), since I noticed the temperature in Ryzen Master, which should report the temperature without ryzen's safety offset since version 1.0.1 according to multiple articles, is much higher than in AIDA64 temperature tab. A temperature called CPU Diode, which is closer to the one shown in Ryzen Master, is available but less obvious under the unified tab, so I got confused.

36 minutes ago, IgelRM said:

Thank you for your detailed response. Sorry for the late answer, I thought I had it set to notify me when somebody replies, but I didn't.

The graphics driver reset would only last a few seconds and would not lead to a permanent blackscreen, right? My blackscreen issue is might be due to temperature (or maybe voltage), since I noticed the temperature in Ryzen Master, which should report the temperature without ryzen's safety offset since version 1.0.1 according to multiple articles, is much higher than in AIDA64 temperature tab. A temperature called CPU Diode, which is closer to the one shown in Ryzen Master, is available but less obvious under the unified tab, so I got confused.

The video driver reset takes a second or two, and after it is done everything should go back to normal. Except for the GPU subtest of the AIDA64 System Stability Test which will be stopped after the video driver reset.

So in case a permanent blackscreen is exhibited, it may be due to a video driver reset issue in the first place, but then the video driver cannot recover due to -- in most cases -- a hardware stability issue.  In other words: if you cannot get the display output working after the video driver reset, it's a hardware malfunction.  Such malfunction can be due to a number of reasons, including excessive overclocking (and/or overvoltage), overheating, video memory stability issues (or overheating), PCI Express communication breakdown, etc.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hi there,

I know this is an old thread but.. I too had this message and selected 'no', so it seems that actually you need to say yes? 

How do you get the message to come back again to be able to select yes? i tried restarting the computer and closing/opening AIDA64 but no luck! 

• 8 months later...
On 4/25/2023 at 1:41 PM, Joinplayer1 said:

Hi there,

I know this is an old thread but.. I too had this message and selected 'no', so it seems that actually you need to say yes? 

How do you get the message to come back again to be able to select yes? i tried restarting the computer and closing/opening AIDA64 but no luck! 

open regedit and delete SSTTDRDelayCheck key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\FinalWire\AIDA64 and it appear again