AIDA64 Extreme Edition v1.80.1450 can not identify B3 Steping of Acer laptop?

william88

Hello, buddies.

There is some thing bothering me until now...

detected machine : AS4750G-2412G50Mnkk laptop (Made in China, P.R.C.)

config :

CPU : 2nd Generation I5 Dual-Core Processor, 2410M, 2.3GHz.

Board: Intel SNB Platform, HM65 Chipset.

... (others is omitted)

With Acer China's official detect tool, it report that the steping is B3, NOT B2.

But use AIDA64 v1.80.1450, it report that the steping is B2.

Which one is correct?

Maybe the latest AIDA64 Extreme Edition is not able to correctly detect information of intel HM65 chipset?

Any other buddy can tell me the actual reason?

Thx a lot.

William

What does AIDA64 display on the Motherboard / Chipset page, in the line of "Revision / Stepping"? On B3 stepping it should say:

05 / B3

Please avoid posting a single issue into multiple topics. The rest of the topics have been removed.

Regards,

Fiery

What does AIDA64 display on the Motherboard / Chipset page, in the line of "Revision / Stepping"? On B3 stepping it should say:

05 / B3

Please avoid posting a single issue into multiple topics. The rest of the topics have been removed.

Regards,

Fiery

hi, Dear Fiery.

Thx for your replay.

On my way, AIDA64 display "04 / B2" on the Motherboard / Chipset page in the line of "Revision / Stepping".

But, Using Acer China's official B2/B3 detect tool, When it runs, the detect result was shown as a message dialog:

"Your Sandy Bridge has B3 stepping code"

Screen Snapshot is as attachments uploaded.

05 / B3

Regards,

Fiery

Sorry, I forget click "Attach This File" button. :)

post-659-065124500 1308530376_thumb.png

I'm afraid your HM65 chip is still the old B2 stepping. You can verify the revision ID + stepping value combinations for Intel 6 Series chipsets at:

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/324646.pdf

On page 9 you can see that revision 04h belongs to B2 stepping. Your chipset must have 05h in the revision field to be B3 stepping.

It still might be a B3 chipset. There's a feature in Intel chipsets called Chipset Compatibility Revision ID. If this feature is activated by the BIOS, then the chipset reports a Compatible Revision ID (which is not the true hardware revision of the chip). On the 6-series chipsets this would cause all the identifiers on a B3 chipset to report a B2 value !

Unfortunately in this case there is NO UNIVERSAL WAY how to determine the true Hardware Revision ID - the only possible method would be if the BIOS saves the original ID in some register, then activates this feature and offers the reading of this ID to its own tools (which might be the case of the Acer tool). When this issue came out some vendors have released BIOS updates which obviously do not enable this feature anymore and so allow a proper reading of the ID - the result was that machines with a B3 chipset have been reporting B2 in all tools unless the user performed such BIOS update.

I'm afraid your HM65 chip is still the old B2 stepping. You can verify the revision ID + stepping value combinations for Intel 6 Series chipsets at:

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/324646.pdf

On page 9 you can see that revision 04h belongs to B2 stepping. Your chipset must have 05h in the revision field to be B3 stepping.

Thx for your help.

I need to search other method to identify this...

Best Regards.

It still might be a B3 chipset. There's a feature in Intel chipsets called Chipset Compatibility Revision ID. If this feature in activated by the BIOS, then the chipset reports a Compatible Revision ID (which is not the true hardware revision of the chip). On the 6-series chipsets this would cause all the identifiers on a B3 chipset to report a B2 value !

Unfortunately in this case there is NO UNIVERSAL WAY how to determine the true Hardware Revision ID - the only possible method would be if the BIOS saves the original ID in some register, then activates this feature and offers the reading of this ID to its own tools (which might be the case of the Acer tool). When this issue came out some vendors have released BIOS updates which obviously do not enable this feature anymore and so allow a proper reading of the ID - the result was that machines with a B3 chipset have been reporting B2 in all tools unless the user performed such BIOS update.

Thx for your reply and teaching.

Best Regards.

Thx for your reply and teaching.

Best Regards.

I use one Intel Offered detect tool named "MEInfo" to detect the B2/B3.

(under pure DOS Environment.)

the output is following:

PCH Version: 600005.

So, Upon this, My Laptop's Motherboard is Stepping B3, right?