8700k FPU VP8 low score

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:56 AM, feka1ity said:

Latest Win 10 64 with spectre / meltdown patches. I'm confused. Can anyone with 8700k share some results, please (default or clocked). Thanks.

My result:

https://youtu.be/Ul9hBy6yD4Q

The VP8 benchmark of AIDA64 is indeed highly affected by some of the vulnerability patches of this year.

6 hours ago, feka1ity said:

Ahhh, thanks.

May be referents need updates depends of these patches.

Edit: why test uses only 90% cpu resource?

And still need to see actual scores

The VP8 reference results now depend on the Windows type, BIOS version, and the security patches you may or may not have applied on your current Windows system.  Also, the VP8 benchmark doesn't scale well on 6+ core CPUs.  Due to those issues, we're considering retiring the VP8 benchmark in the next AIDA64 update, along with introducing a new benchmark method.

Here's the AIDA64 v5.98.4800 VP8 benchmark score we've just measured using an i7-8700K CPU, in a Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard and Windows 10 64-bit.  The motherboard had the latest BIOS (F7) flashed, and Win10 had all patches applied to date (Win10 build number 10.0.17134.286).

• Like 1

Interesting, now i tried w/o HT, only 6 threads. Surprise - 9430  lol

Edit: after applying these in power shell:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

12 threads - 9448 (before -7237)

6 threads - 9821 (before - 9430) LOL

17 hours ago, feka1ity said:

Interesting, now i tried w/o HT, only 6 threads. Surprise - 9430  lol

Edit: after applaying these:

12 threads - 9448 (before -7237)

6 threads - 9821 (before - 9430) LOL

Some of the security patches are for SMT/HyperThreading enabled systems ;)  And yes, in several cases certain workloads do indeed work best without SMT/HTT.

• Thanks 1