SMART temps randomly disappear from OSD

JcRabbit

Hi Fiery! :)

I'm running AIDA64 Extreme v5.99.4900 on a brand new system with the following specs:

Intel 9900K, 32GB RAM, Asus ROG Maximus Formula XI BIOS 506, Intel Optane 905p 960GB NVMe connected to the PCH, Samsung 970 EVO 2TB connected to the M2 slot, Crucial MX500 1TB SATA SSD connected to SATA port 3, WD Blue 4TB connected to SATA port 4, two external WD My Book 3TB connected via USB 3.x.

I'm using the OSD to display various stats on my secondary monitor, including drive temperatures. What seems to be happening is that randomly and from time to time some of the drives disappear from the list in the OSD. It can be ANY of the drives, or several at once (for instance, right now one of the external WD HDDs does not show on the list even after restarting AIDA64, although the other does - both drives remain connected and accessible from My Computer).

This is made worse by another issue with the OSD, this one going back several years: if you edit the name of one of the drives to make it shorter (e.g.; change 'CT1000MX500SSD1' to 'Crucial MX500') when the drives 'return' they now occupy the wrong 'slots' (for instance, what had previously been the selected entry for CT1000MX500SSD1, which was edited to display 'Crucial MX500', is now displaying the temperature of the Optane drive, but, of course, still under the 'Crucial MX500' label).

To be clear, this and the drives randomly disappearing are separate problems - I really wish you could fix the latter though, as it is really confusing, perhaps by associating a drive's unique hardware ID to each 'slot' in the OSD so they can be properly re-assigned when the drive is detected again).

Also, are any other applications known to conflict with AIDA64's reading of the sensors? I'm also running Core Temp 1.13 and ASUS GPU Tweak II Monitor.

20 hours ago, JcRabbit said:

Hi Fiery! :)

I'm running AIDA64 Extreme v5.99.4900 on a brand new system with the following specs:

Intel 9900K, 32GB RAM, Asus ROG Maximus Formula XI BIOS 506, Intel Optane 905p 960GB NVMe connected to the PCH, Samsung 970 EVO 2TB connected to the M2 slot, Crucial MX500 1TB SATA SSD connected to SATA port 3, WD Blue 4TB connected to SATA port 4, two external WD My Book 3TB connected via USB 3.x.

I'm using the OSD to display various stats on my secondary monitor, including drive temperatures. What seems to be happening is that randomly and from time to time some of the drives disappear from the list in the OSD. It can be ANY of the drives, or several at once (for instance, right now one of the external WD HDDs does not show on the list even after restarting AIDA64, although the other does - both drives remain connected and accessible from My Computer).

This is made worse by another issue with the OSD, this one going back several years: if you edit the name of one of the drives to make it shorter (e.g.; change 'CT1000MX500SSD1' to 'Crucial MX500') when the drives 'return' they now occupy the wrong 'slots' (for instance, what had previously been the selected entry for CT1000MX500SSD1, which was edited to display 'Crucial MX500', is now displaying the temperature of the Optane drive, but, of course, still under the 'Crucial MX500' label).

To be clear, this and the drives randomly disappearing are separate problems - I really wish you could fix the latter though, as it is really confusing, perhaps by associating a drive's unique hardware ID to each 'slot' in the OSD so they can be properly re-assigned when the drive is detected again).

Also, are any other applications known to conflict with AIDA64's reading of the sensors? I'm also running Core Temp 1.13 and ASUS GPU Tweak II Monitor.

Such issues could happen when one or more drives disappear from the system due to them going to sleep or get disconnected from the system for other reasons.  AIDA64 will then re-enumerate the available drives and the drives indexes could well change.  It's quite difficult to get around such issues unless you can make sure to have all drives available all the time (by e.g. disabling disk drives sleeping and other power saving tricks).

Core Temp should have no problem working together with AIDA64.  Asus GPU Tweak -- just like other Asus monitoring software like AI Suite -- may cause collisions though.

4 hours ago, JcRabbit said:

Ok, something else I *just* noticed:

If I run HWINFO64, *all* the missing drive temperatures return immediately to the AIDA64 OSD right after HWINFO64 initializes (it says 'flushing buffers' on the splash screen just before this).

I suppose HWiNFO64 simply wakes up all drives as part of its init procedure.

Hmm... none of the drives are set to sleep when not in use, and they remain available if I go to 'My Computer' and browse through them (and still entries with temps for that drive are not displayed in AIDA64). Anyway, I'll try to find a 'trigger' for some of the drives disappearing from the OSD, this is a brand new Windows 10 system and I am still getting used to it.

As for the drive label mix-ups, you could perhaps solve the problem by internally storing the original drive name (as well as the edited name) in each entry in the list. When AIDA64 re-enumerates the drives, the 'hidden' original name would allow it to know if it's trying to assign the new drive to the wrong entry (i.e.; new drive name and entry's original drive name do not match). Also, don't drives have unique hardware IDs? If so, those could be used instead.

Hope I am making some sense here. :)

On 1/21/2019 at 12:19 PM, Fiery said:

Such issues could happen when one or more drives disappear from the system due to them going to sleep or get disconnected from the system for other reasons.  AIDA64 will then re-enumerate the available drives and the drives indexes could well change.  It's quite difficult to get around such issues unless you can make sure to have all drives available all the time (by e.g. disabling disk drives sleeping and other power saving tricks).

Alas, it seems you were right, Fiery.

I didn't explicitly set any of the drives to sleep (I had the option to 'Turn off hard disks' set to 'Never' in Power Options) but it seems there were indeed other power saving 'tricks' (as you very well call them) afoot.

Setting PCI Express -> Link State Power Management to Off solved the problem of my M2 and NVMe PCIe drives disappearing.

However, the Crucial SATA SSD still disappears from the list from time to time and, unlike what I had previously stated above (sorry) browsing it in My Computer *does* bring it back to life in the OSD, which proves the cause is indeed some power saving measure.

Problem is, since it is a SATA SSD I have no idea what setting can be causing this on Windows 10, or even if it is a 'feature' of the drive itself (I don't think so since it didn't happen on my previous Windows 7 system).

Any ideas?

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:20 PM, JcRabbit said:

Alas, it seems you were right, Fiery.

I didn't explicitly set any of the drives to sleep (I had the option to 'Turn off hard disks' set to 'Never' in Power Options) but it seems there were indeed other power saving 'tricks' (as you very well call them) afoot.

Setting PCI Express -> Link State Power Management to Off solved the problem of my M2 and NVMe PCIe drives disappearing.

However, the Crucial SATA SSD still disappears from the list from time to time and, unlike what I had previously stated above (sorry) browsing it in My Computer *does* bring it back to life in the OSD, which proves the cause is indeed some power saving measure.

Problem is, since it is a SATA SSD I have no idea what setting can be causing this on Windows 10, or even if it is a 'feature' of the drive itself (I don't think so since it didn't happen on my previous Windows 7 system).

Any ideas?

In Windows Device Manager probably there's a PCI Express or power management option for either the SATA drive or the SATA controller where your SSD is hooked up to.  Altering that option should help to prevent the SSD from going to sleep.

Thanks, Fiery! :)

One last thing: AIDA64 seems to be under-reporting the temperature for my Crucial MX500 1TB SATA SSD (CT1000MX500SSD1).

For instance, it currently reports 23ºC which is impossible since ambient temperature is 26ºC.

Downloaded Crucial's own Storage Executive to figure this out and there the temperature is reported as a more believable (considering the drive has been idle) 28ºC - so there seems to be a -5ºC offset between real temperature and what AIDA64 is reporting.

If it helps, in the AIDA64 SMART values page, C2 Enclosure Temperature currently has a Value of 77, a Worst of 50 (50ºC is also the highest lifetime temp the drive experienced according to Storage Executive) and a Data value of 23.

Intel Drive Toolbox reports for C2 Normalized as 77 and Raw shows 214748364823 (?)

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, JcRabbit said:

Thanks, Fiery! :)

One last thing: AIDA64 seems to be under-reporting the temperature for my Crucial MX500 1TB SATA SSD (CT1000MX500SSD1).

For instance, it currently reports 23ºC which is impossible since ambient temperature is 26ºC.

Downloaded Crucial's own Storage Executive to figure this out and there the temperature is reported as a more believable (considering the drive has been idle) 28ºC - so there seems to be a -5ºC offset between real temperature and what AIDA64 is reporting.

If it helps, in the AIDA64 SMART values page, C2 Enclosure Temperature currently has a Value of 77, a Worst of 50 (50ºC is also the highest lifetime temp the drive experienced according to Storage Executive) and a Data value of 23.

Intel Drive Toolbox reports for C2 Normalized as 77 and Raw shows 214748364823 (?)

It's quite possible that Storage Executive uses a fixed thermal offset of +5 Celsius on the measured Enclosure Temperature values.  If it's possible, please try to put a bit of a pressure on the drive to make it heat up over 30 Celsius, and check if the difference between what AIDA64 reports and what Storage Executive reports stays the same 5 Celsius.  If yes, then we will implement the temperature offset for MX500 in the next AIDA64 beta build.