Right click not working when SensorPanel always on top

radeonalex

I bought Aida64 today and seem to have found an issue with SensorPanel when setting it up today.

When the following option is selected: Preferences > Hardware Monitoring > SensorPanel > <Keep SensorPanel the topmost window (always on top)>

Using right click on the Windows desktop does not work, the menu disappears very quickly. The issue appears to be related to the refresh/update/polling for data. The right click menu appears, but as soon as the SensorPanel polls for new data and updates, the menu disappears. Disabling the option above rectifies the issue.

Holding right click for more than 1000ms (default poll time) means the desktop right click menu works fine.

Similar cases reported previously here:

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:23 PM, radeonalex said:

I bought Aida64 today and seem to have found an issue with SensorPanel when setting it up today.

When the following option is selected: Preferences > Hardware Monitoring > SensorPanel > <Keep SensorPanel the topmost window (always on top)>

Using right click on the Windows desktop does not work, the menu disappears very quickly. The issue appears to be related to the refresh/update/polling for data. The right click menu appears, but as soon as the SensorPanel polls for new data and updates, the menu disappears. Disabling the option above rectifies the issue.

Holding right click for more than 1000ms (default poll time) means the desktop right click menu works fine.

Similar cases reported previously here:

We've checked this on multiple Windows 10 based system (latest patches applied), and couldn't reproduce the issue.  Do you happen to have a special desktop or window management software installed?  Or maybe there's a non-standard entry in the right-click context menu of your Windows Desktop?  BTW, what video card do you have in your PC?

• 11 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 1:04 AM, Stef Geukens said:

Hello, I have the same issue as reported above.

I have a high end gaming pc, I do use pinmore from the microsoft store to change my tiles in the start  menu. I also have wallpaper engine running but the issue stays even with wallpaper engine off.

I hope the issue can be found.

What video card(s) you've got?

• 2 months later...

Phew, I am glad I am not the only one with this issue!

Specs:
MSI X570-A Pro
Ryzen5 3600
Arctic Freezer II 240
16Gb 3000mhz DDR4
WD 1Tb M.2 SSD
EVGA 2060 Super SC
Running a 32" QHD (Main), a 27" QHD (side panel), plus a 5" 800x400 Pi Monitor inside my case with the AIDA64 SensorPanel on (with a nice background of my wedding pic, 50% Transparency seems better in reality than in the pic, sorry).

Same issue of Right Click on my Desktop and my Menu would vanish before I could click anything, same if I clicked on a Folder, Recycle Bin etc.
My set up with SensorPanel was:
Always on top,
Prevent from being Minimized,
Lock Position,
Lock Size,
Enable Context Menu.

Disabling the "Always on top" feature solved it immediately!
Re enable "Always on Top" - lose my Right Click again.
Disable "Always on Top" - solved again.

Definitely a correlation.

My PC.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 1:05 AM, Mutz1311 said:

Phew, I am glad I am not the only one with this issue!

Specs:
MSI X570-A Pro
Ryzen5 3600
Arctic Freezer II 240
16Gb 3000mhz DDR4
WD 1Tb M.2 SSD
EVGA 2060 Super SC
Running a 32" QHD (Main), a 27" QHD (side panel), plus a 5" 800x400 Pi Monitor inside my case with the AIDA64 SensorPanel on (with a nice background of my wedding pic, 50% Transparency seems better in reality than in the pic, sorry).

Same issue of Right Click on my Desktop and my Menu would vanish before I could click anything, same if I clicked on a Folder, Recycle Bin etc.
My set up with SensorPanel was:
Always on top,
Prevent from being Minimized,
Lock Position,
Lock Size,
Enable Context Menu.

Disabling the "Always on top" feature solved it immediately!
Re enable "Always on Top" - lose my Right Click again.
Disable "Always on Top" - solved again.

Definitely a correlation.

We're not quite sure why it happens and at what point of Windows 10 development this was introduced, but when you right-click on the Windows Desktop or on a Desktop icon, Windows takes away the always on top setting from the SensorPanel window, and it wouldn't give it back after the right-click context menu gets hidden.  The SensorPanel however detects that it no longer has the always on top setting (even though you have it configured in the AIDA64 Preferences for it), and it reconfigures its own window to have it back.  It then causes the right-click context menu shown by Windows on the Desktop to vanish.  Very weird, but so far we haven't found a perfect solution to get around this.  Because if the SensorPanel window doesn't detect its own always on top state change, the always on top behavior will stop working after you press a right-click on the Windows Desktop or on a Desktop icon :( 

• 4 months later...
On 6/11/2020 at 12:52 PM, Fiery said:

We're not quite sure why it happens and at what point of Windows 10 development this was introduced, but when you right-click on the Windows Desktop or on a Desktop icon, Windows takes away the always on top setting from the SensorPanel window, and it wouldn't give it back after the right-click context menu gets hidden.  The SensorPanel however detects that it no longer has the always on top setting (even though you have it configured in the AIDA64 Preferences for it), and it reconfigures its own window to have it back.  It then causes the right-click context menu shown by Windows on the Desktop to vanish.  Very weird, but so far we haven't found a perfect solution to get around this.  Because if the SensorPanel window doesn't detect its own always on top state change, the always on top behavior will stop working after you press a right-click on the Windows Desktop or on a Desktop icon :( 

i have the same problem and actually this problem renders the application almost useless

if you however increase the delay of that "recapture" you say to like 5-10 seconds it will allow us to use the "right click" without any problems

OR maybe you can add an option in preferences saying "do not retake always on top if another application has it"

On 11/3/2020 at 9:25 PM, Nick Andriopoulos said:

if you however increase the delay of that "recapture" you say to like 5-10 seconds it will allow us to use the "right click" without any problems

That's a great idea, we will do just that in the next AIDA64 beta update. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/20/2020 at 3:55 AM, Prometeus said:

I have found that if you have a secondary panel as your sensor panel (mini lcd panel) and turn off keep sensor panel on top, then the right-click menu functions correctly. 

The above mentioned fix should work in all cases.  Just make sure to use the latest AIDA64 version of 6.32.

• 2 years later...

So, I am running version 6.85 and this problem is still present. I don't want to disable "always on top" because I don't want the taskbar showing up on my sensor panel. 

In the posts above, you said "That's a great idea, we will do just that in the next AIDA64 beta update. Thank you!"

So what happened? If this option exists, I can't find it!

• 8 months later...