AIDA64 Hangs at Loading Driver

UserXP

Hi all.

I have a reoccurring problem with AIDA64. I tried the new trial version of it to see if the problem still exists, as I had the same situation with previous releases, thus making me uninstall them, but no luck.

Anyway, here is the scenario:

When starting AIDA64, it shows its splash-screen with info about what is being started up. Everything goes super-fast until it reaches the "Loading Driver" message. AIDA64 then hangs at that message for almost 5 minutes, the HD LED is constantly ON and at first you can hear the HD doing something, then it stops but the LED remains on all the time during the hang. and the computer becomes super-sluggish and almost impossible to use. Once it completes with loading the driver, AIDA64 loads the rest of its components really fast and the computer is back to its normal speed. What is going on and how can I monitor and resolve this? It happens only on first run of AIDA64. Once it loads, I can close it and restart it many times and every time it will load in a matter of 2-3 seconds. I tried disabling all the services and start-up programs, it makes no difference.

Why is the initial driver loading so slow and what is it causing the system to do to becomse almost non-responsive? It is obviously triggering something.

My system is Windows 7 Ultimate x64, i7 4790K at stock speed, WD Blue 1Tb HD, GTX 980 SC, 16Gb RAM - more than enough to run AIDA64.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

8 hours ago, UserXP said:

Hi all.

I have a reoccurring problem with AIDA64. I tried the new trial version of it to see if the problem still exists, as I had the same situation with previous releases, thus making me uninstall them, but no luck.

Anyway, here is the scenario:

When starting AIDA64, it shows its splash-screen with info about what is being started up. Everything goes super-fast until it reaches the "Loading Driver" message. AIDA64 then hangs at that message for almost 5 minutes, the HD LED is constantly ON and at first you can hear the HD doing something, then it stops but the LED remains on all the time during the hang. and the computer becomes super-sluggish and almost impossible to use. Once it completes with loading the driver, AIDA64 loads the rest of its components really fast and the computer is back to its normal speed. What is going on and how can I monitor and resolve this? It happens only on first run of AIDA64. Once it loads, I can close it and restart it many times and every time it will load in a matter of 2-3 seconds. I tried disabling all the services and start-up programs, it makes no difference.

Why is the initial driver loading so slow and what is it causing the system to do to becomse almost non-responsive? It is obviously triggering something.

My system is Windows 7 Ultimate x64, i7 4790K at stock speed, WD Blue 1Tb HD, GTX 980 SC, 16Gb RAM - more than enough to run AIDA64.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

It is sadly normal, but somehow doesn't happen on all Windows installations.  It happens because sometimes the Windows driver cache gets invalidated when a software tries to load a dynamic kernel driver.  When that happens, Windows gets extremely sluggish for a few minutes, exactly what you experience on your system.  AIDA64 uses a dynamic kernel driver (and not a fixed, installed kernel driver) to provide the maximum flexibility and make sure that what we call portable version is really portable.

I know it's not a real solution and probably not even a consolation for you, but the issue doesn't seem to happen under Windows 10, so by the time you upgrade to that OS, it will most likely be resolved.