Thread stuck in device driver (BSOD) (MSI Vega 56 PMLog issue)

honolulu

Long story short , since june 2019 i have a new videocard (MSI Vega 56 Air boost OC) , which I am trying to get stable for the past 3 months now . I have been trying everything , swapping hardware in and out , changing fansettings , adding fans , DDU drivers , updating all programs/drivers on my pc and what not . Every time the PC crashes , i have to do a CMOS reset to get the pc to boot again . Just a restart or power down is not enough .
The "Thread stuck in device driver" blue screen analysis points towards DX and AMD drivers , hence me being focused on those things at first .

So in the end nothing helped and I decided to try to run stability tests in a completely new windows 10 x64 installation . Only installing chipset driver , sound drivers and videocard drivers . Suddenly no more crashes ... Since in a clean windows install stopped the crashes (meaning the hardware is fine) , i went back to my old windows installation to try and find out what software was causing these BSOD's .

In the end I had a stable run of several hours .Yay ! Where the only program i closed was AIDA64 . So I decided to stop the stability test . After closing the stability run (Heaven benchmark) I opened AIDA64 back up .
What do you think , mere 2 minutes after opening I get BSOD with thread stuck in device driver again . And this was just on the desktop , with no stresstests running .

So the next day i closed 3 monitoring programs to be sure : AIDA64 , Rivatuner statistics server and Remote panel . I fired up a gpu stresstest and let it run all day and night . No crash ... . It was still running when i woke up the next day . This never happened before !

Software versions :
- AIDA64 (I always used latest beta's since june 2019 . currently using 6.00.5161)

- Rivatuner statistics server 7.2.2
- Remote panel 1.16
- AMD driver always latest optional since june (currently 19.9.2)

The output of my monitoring currently goes towards a Samsung Galaxy s5 connected through usb) . But before I used a G19 keyboard , which was causing the same BSOD .

To this post I also attached a bluescreen analysis with WhoCrashed .

BSOD thread stuck in device driver analysis.txt

2 hours ago, honolulu said:

Long story short , since june 2019 i have a new videocard (MSI Vega 56 Air boost OC) , which I am trying to get stable for the past 3 months now . I have been trying everything , swapping hardware in and out , changing fansettings , adding fans , DDU drivers , updating all programs/drivers on my pc and what not . Every time the PC crashes , i have to do a CMOS reset to get the pc to boot again . Just a restart or power down is not enough .
The "Thread stuck in device driver" blue screen analysis points towards DX and AMD drivers , hence me being focused on those things at first .

So in the end nothing helped and I decided to try to run stability tests in a completely new windows 10 x64 installation . Only installing chipset driver , sound drivers and videocard drivers . Suddenly no more crashes ... Since in a clean windows install stopped the crashes (meaning the hardware is fine) , i went back to my old windows installation to try and find out what software was causing these BSOD's .

In the end I had a stable run of several hours .Yay ! Where the only program i closed was AIDA64 . So I decided to stop the stability test . After closing the stability run (Heaven benchmark) I opened AIDA64 back up .
What do you think , mere 2 minutes after opening I get BSOD with thread stuck in device driver again . And this was just on the desktop , with no stresstests running .

So the next day i closed 3 monitoring programs to be sure : AIDA64 , Rivatuner statistics server and Remote panel . I fired up a gpu stresstest and let it run all day and night . No crash ... . It was still running when i woke up the next day . This never happened before !

Software versions :
- AIDA64 (I always used latest beta's since june 2019 . currently using 6.00.5161)

- Rivatuner statistics server 7.2.2
- Remote panel 1.16
- AMD driver always latest optional since june (currently 19.9.2)

The output of my monitoring currently goes towards a Samsung Galaxy s5 connected through usb) . But before I used a G19 keyboard , which was causing the same BSOD .

To this post I also attached a bluescreen analysis with WhoCrashed .

BSOD thread stuck in device driver analysis.txt 1.88 kB · 0 downloads

On Vega 56/64 and RX 5700 Series AIDA64 uses AMD's standard PMLog interface that was designed to avoid such collisions when both AMD's video driver and 3rd party applications try to poll sensor readings and they alter GPU registers in a concurrent way.  Apparently PMLog is still not 100% stable, so using it causes different issues then previously when low-level register readout caused collisions :(  I'm afraid we cannot fix that issue from our end, so you need to report this to AMD and ask them to fix PMLog in their drivers.

Fair enough , thanks for your honesty .

If you need some more info , just ask .

Would this also mean that if i use aida64 for just cpu monitoring for example , it would not crash my system anymore ? Or does that have nothing to do with it .

I can also mention that when i monitor the vega 56 card with GPU-Z , it doesnt not crash or bluescreen .

2 hours ago, honolulu said:

Fair enough , thanks for your honesty .

If you need some more info , just ask .

Would this also mean that if i use aida64 for just cpu monitoring for example , it would not crash my system anymore ? Or does that have nothing to do with it .

I can also mention that when i monitor the vega 56 card with GPU-Z , it doesnt not crash or bluescreen .

I'm almost certain that if you disable GPU monitoring, the issue won't come up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 11:20 AM, honolulu said:

Using GPU-Z together with HWINFO64 , I have had one bluescreen with "thread stuck in device driver" in the past weeks . Just to say that they also have it , only way less frequent compared to AIDA64 (for me at least) . AIDA64 would cause this bsod at least once a day .

The fact that all these monitoring programs cause the BSOD at a more or less frequent rate , would this point to an issue with the AMD API itself ?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:19 AM, honolulu said:

Using GPU-Z together with HWINFO64 , I have had one bluescreen with "thread stuck in device driver" in the past weeks . Just to say that they also have it , only way less frequent compared to AIDA64 (for me at least) . AIDA64 would cause this bsod at least once a day .

The fact that all these monitoring programs cause the BSOD at a more or less frequent rate , would this point to an issue with the AMD API itself ?

Yes, I'm afraid AMD's PMLog API is not 100% stable :( 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...