Extremely high Latency when AIDA64 is running after Windows 10 update ( Asus Maximus XI Formula + i9-9900K)

JcRabbit

Hey Fiery!

Not sure if this issue belongs here, but after installing the latest Windows 10 update (KB4517389 & KB4524100) I started noticing a general 'sluggishness' of the system (an Intel 9900K @5Ghz with an Nvidia 2080TI GPU and an Asus Formula XI Maximus motherboard) plus occasional video stutter and audio drop outs.

This prompted me to run LatencyMon which showed me the system was running in the red almost constantly (3000 - 5000us + interrupt to process latency). The culprits seemed to be dxgkrnl.sys (highest reported ISR routine execution time) and the Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver nvlddmkm.sys (highest reported DPC routine execution time).

I installed the latest Nvidia and Realtek drivers, rebooted, no change. So I started exiting all running monitoring and control software (at first I thought it was Corsair iCue given the recent problems) and the only thing that fixed it was exiting Aida64.

I use Aida64 primarily for the OSD, where I display system and hard drive temperatures, fan speeds, voltages, APC UPS stats, etc... I tried un-checking anything related to the GPU (GPU Diode and GPU fan speeds) and restarting Aida64 but that didn't help either.

I also run MSI AfterBurner, but exiting has no effect on the high system latency while Aida64 is running nor does it increase latency if I run it without Aida64.

I'm not sure if the high latency was present before (might have been) but if it was I didn't notice it as it didn't cause audio dropouts. As I stated above, only started noticing this after the latest Windows 10 update. If I exit Aida64, none of the latency values ever go above 250 us (usually fluctuate between 30-110us). Same thing if I hide the OSD in the Aida64 tray icon, of course.

Running Aida64 Extreme v6.10.5200 build date 23/09/2019.

Any ideas which sensors might be causing this and why? Anything you want me to try?

Just to add:

I tried disabling items in the OSD one by one while I monitored latency using LatencyMon. Eventually I removed all items leaving only the date but it didn't help.

Doesn't Aida64 automatically stop monitoring the sensors that are not selected, or does that require closing the Preferences window first (I was removing the items one by one and then clicking Apply)?

Otherwise, the only thing that seems to work is hiding the OSD or exiting Aida64.

On 10/9/2019 at 10:24 PM, JcRabbit said:

Just to add:

I tried disabling items in the OSD one by one while I monitored latency using LatencyMon. Eventually I removed all items leaving only the date but it didn't help.

Doesn't Aida64 automatically stop monitoring the sensors that are not selected, or does that require closing the Preferences window first (I was removing the items one by one and then clicking Apply)?

Otherwise, the only thing that seems to work is hiding the OSD or exiting Aida64.

No, it cannot filter down that way, since the sensor module is called everytime there's any sensor reading requested.

I'm glad you've solved it using the EC options, that would have been my suggestion too :)  We've seen a few Asus motherboards where polling EC registers can cause high DPC latencies.

Ok, after a restart I noticed I lost the PCH and VRM temperatures I was also monitoring. Makes sense, I guess, and it's not a biggie.

One question out of curiosity, though: with EC polling enabled, LatencyMon reports nvlddmkm.sys as the driver with highest reported DPC routine execution time (which does not happen when EC polling is disabled in Aida).

Why nVidia's driver? Does the latency go sky high due to a conflict between nVidia's Kernel mode driver and Aida64 (e.g.; both polling the same thing at the same time)? If so, who is doing it wrong (or is it Asus fault)?

Also, any idea why this happens on *some* Asus motherboards but not others (according to you)? The Asus Maximus XI Formula is neither old nor low-end.