Photoworxx Score and Too Many Threads

Hello!

I was going through the aida64 benchmarks with my 10980xe, when I noticed photoworxx showing a score significantly lower relative to my other scores.

I am currently using 4x8, 32gbs of ram. Is photoworxx heavily dependent on the amount of ram you are using?

If so, which of the other benchmarks on aida64 are memory bound as well?

11 hours ago, glocked89 said:

Hello!

I was going through the aida64 benchmarks with my 10980xe, when I noticed photoworxx showing a score significantly lower relative to my other scores.

I am currently using 4x8, 32gbs of ram. Is photoworxx heavily dependent on the amount of ram you are using?

If so, which of the other benchmarks on aida64 are memory bound as well?

None of our benchmarks are memory bound.  The PhotoWorxx however relies heavily on the CPU caches, not just the data crunching power of the CPU cores.

Hey Fiery! Thanks for your response.

The reason why I asked is because of the results of the example scores.

I found it strange that the 16-core xeon 2670, 6-core 7800x, 32-core threadripper, and my 18-core 10980xe all scored approximately the same at around 38000.

Alternatively, I found a user scored 65000 using a 10-core 10900x and the 20-core dual(10+10) xeon 2660 scored 62000.

I was guessing that the total ram amount was the issue, but after I turned off hyperthreading with my 18 core, my score jumped up to 46000.

Does this benchmark scale poorly with more than 10-cores and 20-threads?

EDIT: Too many threads was the issue! After running the benchmark with hyperthreading disabled and only running it as a 10 core benchmark, my scores were normal. More than 10 threads seem to get in the way of eachother. Memory seems to affect your score heavily as well.

Edited by glocked89
FIgured it out

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 5:28 PM, glocked89 said:

Hey Fiery! Thanks for your response.

The reason why I asked is because of the results of the example scores.

I found it strange that the 16-core xeon 2670, 6-core 7800x, 32-core threadripper, and my 18-core 10980xe all scored approximately the same at around 38000.

Alternatively, I found a user scored 65000 using a 10-core 10900x and the 20-core dual(10+10) xeon 2660 scored 62000.

I was guessing that the total ram amount was the issue, but after I turned off hyperthreading with my 18 core, my score jumped up to 46000.

Does this benchmark scale poorly with more than 10-cores and 20-threads?

EDIT: Too many threads was the issue! After running the benchmark with hyperthreading disabled and only running it as a 10 core benchmark, my scores were normal. More than 10 threads seem to get in the way of eachother. Memory seems to affect your score heavily as well.

Memory latency is a key in the PhotoWorxx score.  In which case when there are too many threads fighting for RAM access, scores can indeed drop heavily.  So with this particular benchmarks it's not always best to have a lot of CPU threads at your disposal :) 

• glocked89 changed the title to Photoworxx Score and Too Many Threads
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys, in normal case i got ~40k in photoworxx. But sometimes after a reboot or a coldboot it Drops around -5k. 

Setting 10900k @5.3/5.0 2x16gb 4533c16. All Stresstest are fine.

Aida membench also fine. Only photoworxx make random Problems. 

Is it a Bug or fail Training? 

Im wondering, cause its always around 5k...so i got ~35k

Got Same issues on a 9900k, the drop was also around 5k. 

Thx for your help

Best regards