Aida64 1.85 And Nvidia Optimus

elmsfeuer

Hi Fiery,

I have a new Dell XPS Notebook with 2 Graphiccards (Intel and Geforce GT540m).

If there is no need for high grafphics the nvidia optimus technologie disables the GT540m and the battery stays longer and the temperatures stay lower.

As usual I use AIDA64 to see all temperatures in the sidebar gadget.

But every time AIDA is reading the NV sensor the GT540m is enabled just for a second.

That means the GT540 is going ON,OFF,ON,OFF,ON,OFF......, and the temperatures are going up and down, the same is with the systemfan, thats very annoying :(

I have disabled the GPU Sensor in HWMon Modules and it works but with the next restart its enabled again.

Is there any way to handle this?

Thx

Mike

Thank you. Temperature readings come from Dell SMI sensor, so if you deem they're too high, it may be due to inaccurate readings provided by the BIOS via SMI.

As for the Optimus issue, can you please provide more insights? For example, does the issue of "GT540 is going ON,OFF,ON,OFF,ON,OFF" occur only when running from batteries? Or it's a constant issue, regardless of power source?

Thank you. Temperature readings come from Dell SMI sensor, so if you deem they're too high, it may be due to inaccurate readings provided by the BIOS via SMI.

As for the Optimus issue, can you please provide more insights? For example, does the issue of "GT540 is going ON,OFF,ON,OFF,ON,OFF" occur only when running from batteries? Or it's a constant issue, regardless of power source?

The Dell DMI Sensor is disabled cause of the lag every 2 seconds.

The problem with the optimus issue is still in battery and in power mode. Every time when the software checks the NV sensors so it would be nice to be able to disable the NV sensor reading permanently.

Mike

Just a short update.

I tried different programms and gadget to read out the temperatures from the NV card and everytime it is the same, when the notebook is in use with the onboard intel graphic, the NV is disabled to save energy (thats the main part from optimus).

But every programm that checks the NV temps enables the NV card for just that second, thats why it go's on,off,on,off.

Mike

A quick idea: try disable Multi-GPU support in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability, then restart AIDA64. In case on your system the nVIDIA GPU is the secondary GPU on the PCI bus, then activating that option will effectively disable GPU support for the nVIDIA GPU, hence the reported issues should go away.

Let me know how it goes ;)

• 1 month later...

We've implemented a new option in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability to let you disable GPU sensor support. So far we haven't found a better way to prevent nVIDIA drivers from "waking up" the sleeping GPU while reading GPU sensor values in AIDA64 :(

Make sure to upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.co...40jw8gb7pkfzzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works.

Thanks,

Fiery