BSOD 116 only when AIDA64 running (Radeon RX 580)

Robert M

Ok, so, kept getting a 116 bsod, tdr failure. tried changing every setting, every driver, bios version etc, thought my hardware was going out, but planned on upgrading my system anyway, went from a amd 8320 to a ryzen, replaced my cpu, motherboard,gpu, boot drive, reinstall of my os.. and still would get these 116 bsod's, eventually traced it to having aida open to long, i use 8gadget pack, which adds back the desktop gadgets on windows 10, i then had aida set to output to its desktop gadget so i would have a nice little display on my screen, well when i first did this years ago it ran great, but the past year (maybe over) it would crash at random times, eventually figured out that if i didn't run aida, it would never crash. I have it set in aida to display extra readings, like gpu and voltages, but on 2 essentially different systems would have the same result. btw, this has been on every version for probably over a year including the latest beta.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 5:28 PM, Robert M said:

Ok, so, kept getting a 116 bsod, tdr failure. tried changing every setting, every driver, bios version etc, thought my hardware was going out, but planned on upgrading my system anyway, went from a amd 8320 to a ryzen, replaced my cpu, motherboard,gpu, boot drive, reinstall of my os.. and still would get these 116 bsod's, eventually traced it to having aida open to long, i use 8gadget pack, which adds back the desktop gadgets on windows 10, i then had aida set to output to its desktop gadget so i would have a nice little display on my screen, well when i first did this years ago it ran great, but the past year (maybe over) it would crash at random times, eventually figured out that if i didn't run aida, it would never crash. I have it set in aida to display extra readings, like gpu and voltages, but on 2 essentially different systems would have the same result. btw, this has been on every version for probably over a year including the latest beta.

Do you have Valorant Vanguard anti-cheat software installed?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 6:28 PM, Robert M said:

Im sorry, but I have never installed that before, also Im sure ive been having these issues before that anti cheat was ever released.

Do you find a pattern across those different systems you've mentioned, like a common hardware component?  Maybe they both have the same Radeon video card?

• 2 weeks later...

it was with 3 different radeon rx 580 gpu's, so its not the cards per se, i can only guess that maybe some call that aida is making or the constant polling of the gpu thru the driver causes it to lock? its vary consistent and i unfortunately cant use aida anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 9:40 PM, Robert M said:

it was with 3 different radeon rx 580 gpu's, so its not the cards per se, i can only guess that maybe some call that aida is making or the constant polling of the gpu thru the driver causes it to lock? its vary consistent and i unfortunately cant use aida anymore.

It could be a collision between the polling activity done by AMD's video drivers and AIDA64.  It's very difficult to handle that issue without proper help from the driver itself.  Later AMD video cards (based on Vega and Navi) has a special video driver call that can be used to avoid such issues.  With older video cards it's still a hit & miss, and it's difficult to find a proper way to avoid the problems.  Other than giving up on GPU monitoring (AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability / GPU sensor support) :(